Non-jumping Workout DVDs????

Options
I have been sidelined from doing Insanity/running for at least the next month. I can not do anything that "pounds" on my feet, so no jumping, running/jogging, etc. I also can't do planks b/c you have to press down on your foot.

Does anyone have any workout DVDs they can recommend? I tried P90X (recommended by the podiatrist) but it's wayyyyyy too slow for me. I also am doing the stationary bike but I really hate going to the gym and would prefer something I could do at home.

Replies

• skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been using Fitness Blender videos. They are free and there's a section on Low Impact workouts. The difficulty level is pretty low though, I think they're meant for people who are just starting to workout.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? A lot of disabled people exercise in water (edited to say I didn't see the "at home" part).
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing vids for a while? Could you come up with your own suitable routine if you know a lot of moves? I got bored of the videos and do my own thing now which seems to be working well for me
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Go on YouTube and search for low impact workout videos there are plenty there that I used when I had chin splints... You could also do any video and just substitute the jumping movements for non jumpy ones you can find on YouTube
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Try some Pilates videos?
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I actually thought about swimming, I've never swam laps before and wasn't sure how to start haha.

I'll have to look up the low impact videos and see if any of those will do! I think the problem with me substituting so much is I'm running out of ideas of things to substitute with. I'm probably just not being creative enough!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bumping for more information. Sailing in the same boat
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam (shows low impact modifications and even points out one of the ladies who has lost over 70 pounds and looks fantastic and has only used the low impact modifications).
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What about a Leslie Sansone walk at home? I do these holding/lifting 3-5 lb weights throughout and try to get really low on the moves. They are a little boring and redundant, but I burn calories.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to do when I can't handle impact is kickboxing videos. When there is jumping, I modify, but most of the kicking and punching is low impact but can really get your heart rate up and help work off aggression.

For other workouts, adding weights or a step (or both) adds intensity to low impact workouts without adding impact. Cathe Friedrich has some advanced low impact workouts.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    You can also always find a video you like and then modify the moves you can't do for something low impact.