Exercise Rountine Help!?

Options
Hi,

I've recently began a daily cardio routine.

As I am of little fitness I started doing 5 minutes a day, building it up by a minute each day (Currently at 10 mins)

The question is will I get the same benefit if I do two sets of 5 minutes than I would doing one 10 minute routine.

The most I've done in one go so far is 4 minutes (Little fitness!)

Replies

• stages95
    stages95 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump..
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on starting your fitness journey! I love exercise: I sleep better, feel better, think better and am motivated to eat better when I exercise.

I don't have a very scientific answer to your question, but I would imagine that either one is fine, because no matter what you are moving.

That being said, what type of exercise you are doing? And do you have any goals in mind that you are looking to reach?
  • stages95
    stages95 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your response. I've already felt the benefits of exercise. I can feel my body coping with it each day when it was a struggle the first few days. I thought it wouldn't matter as two five minute routines add up to one ten minute routine :smile:

I am using a cross-trainer, I find it beneficial on working leg muscles as well. Well I'm looking to add a minute of exercise each day.

For example on the 5th of Nov I started with just 5 minutes, then build up a minute each day. Today I will be doing 11 minutes.

I am trying to build up the endurance as well, like at first I was only doing 2 minute stints, now I've build it up too 5 minutes

I aim to finally reach an optimum work-out of 30 minutes (3 x 10 minute routines) :happy:
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Since your goal is about being able to run a specific time, I'd say keep doing what you are doing with adding a minute. If you find that this methods isn't effective anymore, maybe try doing intervals of jogging and running, such as a C25k program.
  • san0322
    san0322 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is just as effective. Your overall goal of 3*10 works - read about it here:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/25/the-10-minute-workout-times-three/?_r=0