Pumpkin Question

So, we went pumpkin picking a month ago and I never gotten around to cut it open & process it. We've had it for a month in room temperature; would it still be ok to finally open it up and stick it in the food processor? Or should I just trash it? Thought it'd be ok since I haven't opened it yet & it looks completely fine on the outside like it did when we first purchased it. But, I don't know much about cooking pumpkins, so I thought i'd ask to be sure. Thanks :)

Replies

• kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    It's usually pretty obvious when pumpkins go bad. They get soft, moldy and start attracting insects. If the skin is intact, there's no mold or soft spots it should be just fine.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Since you didn't cut it open, it's probably still good. Like kimtab said, you'll definitely be able to tell upon opening it up, but based on the estimates at this website (http://www.eatbydate.com/fruits/fresh/how-long-does-pumpkin-last/) you shouldn't get any nasty surprises.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If it's a big Hallowe'en type pumpkin it's more of a squash than a pumpkin. If it's still firm it will be good to eat but don't expect it to have the sweet pumpkin pie type taste.