Greatness measured

Options
I'm in pretty good shape. I currently weigh 176 with my body fat between 17-19%. The problem is that I want to be in great shape, Men's Fitness magazine cover model shape. I don't want to be one of those guys in moderately good shape that walk around bragging like they are the next coming of Charles Atlas. I actually want to have the level of fitness they use to sell dietary supplements.

When I read comments from other people on MyFitnessPal, I sometimes feel guilty. Here are people who overcome extreme difficulties, transforming their bodies and lives trying to lose 30, 40 or even over 100 pounds so they won't die next week while I'm whining that my abs are not ripped enough. Boo hoo, life is tough for me.

I console myself that my goals are not their goals but they are still relevant and important to me. No matter how fit I get, it will not take away from the amazing accomplishment of someone who loses 50 lbs but still has 50 lbs to go.

The 300 pound guy who loses 100 pound guy has more right to be proud than the guy who is 180 who lose 5 pounds. Sure, the 175 pound guy is in significantly better shape than the 200 pound guy but his struggle doesn't even compare to what it take to lose 1/3 of your bodyweight, not even close.

I tip my hat to those who had the strength and courage to lose so much weight and better their lives. You inspire me and the world around you. Professional athletes get so much press but the real champions are those that achieve great things, not for money or fame, but for themselves and the people they love.

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    awe, that was very well written and sweet. And I agree, each person has different goals for different reasons that aquire different challenges. Do you best, work your abs, do you strenth training.. eat your protein and complex carbs and potassium rich foods and you'll achieve your own personal goals!

Good luck!
  • MelliCheer
    Options
    This hit the nail on the head!

People keep telling me how great I'm looking now that I've lost weight. But I have the ultimate goal of having a fitness model (magazine style not Body Building style) physique. I want the abs, toned arms, etc. that I see on the covers.

Is it vain? Maybe. But I figure if I've worked hard enough to get down to where people think I'm "skinny" why not push a little harder and get what I've always wanted?

It's nice having this forum to talk about weight loss, and shaping up our bodies. If I wrote the same stuff on FB I think I'd feel (and people would think) that I'm a bit up myself :D
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    While it seems this site is designed and intended for use by those who have a significant amount of weight to lose - it really is a site that is intended to help others be healthier and happier. if that means that you have 500 lbs to lose or 5 lbs to lose - the support, encouragement, and motivation is here for you. If others feel uncomfortable with the fact that you want to define your abs and be a lean, mean, fighting machine, then they have more growing to do. I suggest trying to find support in those with similar goals by posting a request for others with similar goals to add you as a friend and share their successes and recommendations.

Blessings as you work towards accomplishing your goals on your journey to a healthier and happier you.

Vickie
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    awe, that was very well written and sweet. And I agree, each person has different goals for different reasons that aquire different challenges. Do you best, work your abs, do you strenth training.. eat your protein and complex carbs and potassium rich foods and you'll achieve your own personal goals!

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice but the post was not really about me. It was about people like my mom who was obese and then had a heart attack. She lost what must have been 100 lbs so she could live and raise her 10 children (no joke, 6 boys, 4 girls). If she didn't lose the weight, I would not have half the success I enjoy today, both personal and professional (I'm doing real good).
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    well good then! but you still mentioned your goals and I felt it needed to be addressed regardless. You made a good point with the comparison. Major kudos to your mother!