Reduction surgery make a difference to weight?

I'm losing weight because I need/want to, but also because I have been told that my BMI needs to be below 25 to be considered for breast reduction surgery. At the moment I am far too fat at 214 lbs and I need to be around 154-158lbs to bring it down to an acceptable level. However, as a HH cup I'm wondering is it fair to not consider my bust in the BMI decision.....has anyone got any experience of this? Has anyone G cup + had reduction surgery, and if so what difference did it make to your weight? I'm just wondering as if I had say an extra 7lbs of weight on my bust, that 7lbs would be removed anyway during the surgery. Anyone got any experience of this? All advice appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    My advice is to just tackle one thing at a time and cross that bridge when you get to it. Focus on losing the 50+ lbs that you know has to go before you worry about the 7 lbs that are debatable. Forest/trees and all that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    Yep.

Metaphors are good here.

Cart before horse comes to mind.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    My advice is to just tackle one thing at a time and cross that bridge when you get to it. Focus on losing the 50+ lbs that you know has to go before you worry about the 7 lbs that are debatable. Forest/trees and all that.

^^^This. You have a long way to go before it becomes an issue.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    I think the way you might want to look at it is that you will get better results if you lose the weight first. Beyond just a reduction, it's almost like a lift, too. If you have the reduction THEN lose weight, you may end up with saggy boobs. If you lose the weight FIRST, you will probably have great results after the surgery.
  • hubb6364
    hubb6364 Posts: 8 Member
    I agree with Jessica. I had a reduction years ago and he took of 10lbs. If I knew then what I know now I so would of lost weight before hand, I am losing weight now and yes they are sagging! Please worry about your weight first and then do the reduction which like you said your BMI has to be just right anyways so good luck.
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    And depending on how much breast tissue you have vs. fat, you may find that as you lose weight, the reduction isn't necessary. I went from a 38K in January (at about 210 lbs) to a 34DD now (at 140). I never in a million years expected to see such a drastic difference in bust size - a cup size or 2, sure, but not 7.

Being at a healthier weight will make your recovery easier, and will mean that your breasts will be more apt to be at a size that won't shrink as much if you do continue to lose weight after surgery. Which plays into the whole sagginess issue, as mentioned above.
  • And depending on how much breast tissue you have vs. fat, you may find that as you lose weight, the reduction isn't necessary. I went from a 38K in January (at about 210 lbs) to a 34DD now (at 140). I never in a million years expected to see such a drastic difference in bust size - a cup size or 2, sure, but not 7.

Being at a healthier weight will make your recovery easier, and will mean that your breasts will be more apt to be at a size that won't shrink as much if you do continue to lose weight after surgery. Which plays into the whole sagginess issue, as mentioned above.

Thank you, I guess I do need to just see how it goes, I didn't think about the possibility of further shrinkage after surgery of I continued to lose weight either so that's been a really good point. It is such a long hard slog I think that's why I wanted to take even 7lbs of the total, to not make it seem so daunting...56lbs to go....;'(
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    It is such a long hard slog I think that's why I wanted to take even 7lbs of the total, to not make it seem so daunting...56lbs to go....;'(
    Oh, I know exactly what you're feeling. You can do it - just take one day at a time and you'll get there. You'll find your weight loss groove. It may take a couple of months, but you WILL hit a point when it becomes a little easier.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    It is such a long hard slog I think that's why I wanted to take even 7lbs of the total, to not make it seem so daunting...56lbs to go....;'(

I figure that at 1.5 pounds per week (a healthy rate of loss), you'll be 56lbs down by July. Just think, at the peak of summer next year, you'll be a new you; looking forward to surgery, with lean muscle, a whole new wardrobe and fabulous mindset.

Read through some of the stories on is site. It isn't hard, don't overthink it, and make yourself a lot of friends

Good luck!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member

Thank you, I guess I do need to just see how it goes, I didn't think about the possibility of further shrinkage after surgery of I continued to lose weight either so that's been a really good point. It is such a long hard slog I think that's why I wanted to take even 7lbs of the total, to not make it seem so daunting...56lbs to go....;'(

The surgery will have a much better outcome all round if you have lost all the weight you need to. I understand your viewpoint of 7 pounds leeway seeming like a good idea just now though. It can seem daunting to have to lose 56 pounds at the beginning, but you can do it! Don't look at it as such a big chunk of weight though. Break your loss down into manageable segments, whether it's 7 pounds at a time, 10 pounds at a time, whatever seems best to you. The mini goals you set for yourself make it psychologically more manageable. And remember, you can only lose a pound at a time, one step at a time. They all add up and you'll get there! :flowerforyou: