Bipolar Disorder and Weight Loss

Options
Hi, my name is Jonathan and I have bipolar disorder. Over the past few years with various medications I have gained 35lbs. I'm now using diet and exercise to not only lose the weight but as a way to manage my bipolar disorder. I'm reaching out to see if there are anyone else on my path.

Good Luck to everyone!

Replies

• spirit05
    spirit05 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My daughter has bipolar disorder and the same thing happened to her with medication.
    She is now on Geodon and is working with me on her nutrition and exercise, she has already lost 6 lb. in 2 weeks... granted the first few weeks is water weight, but she is on the road to being healthier with this new med.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I was diagnosed with bipolar a few years ago and was treated with Lamictal. (The diagnosis has since been challenged, but I do still deal with depressive cycles and am currently taking Paxil). I know how mood disorders can really mess with your ability to make good food choices.

One thing to keep in mind is that most medications don't change your metabolism much. They do mess with the appetite centers of your brain, so you are likely to think you are hungry when you really aren't (or, possibly, have the opposite effect and suppress appetite). So counting calories becomes even more important in losing/maintaining weight. (This from several of my doctors, by the way)

And, as you mentioned, I have found that exercise helps a lot in managing my mood. It doesn't really matter what kind of exercise, as long as it's something you enjoy. And, while eating a healthy, well-balanced diet is good for overall health, I personally don't subscribe to the ideas that cutting out a certain food group, or doing any cleanses, will have any impact on mood disorders.
  • moosiau
    moosiau Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi :) my name is Tasha and I also have bipolar disorder :) I only just got diagnosed with bipolar about three years ago, and although I'm now being medicated and have frequent psychologist appointments, I'm still trying to undo the weight gain that was caused by my periods of depression (I tend to use eating as a form of punishment). Anyway, feel free to add me :)
  • I have been working out and dieting for a few reasons
    1. It keeps my bipolar at bay - it really keeps me even-keel.
    2. Counting my calories keeps me from using food to manage my mood
    3. Looking in the mirror and watching my body change keeps my spirits up

I have been told for a long time about how this would work and its amazing it is actually working. Thanks for all your comments!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I get comments from people when I'm working out and eating better as my moods are noticeably more stable.
    I've gone from a diagnoses of Major depression, to cyclothymia, headed towards a personality disorder and then back to depression.
    They change their minds almost as much as I swing but anyway.....

I'm glad this is working for you.
    I use food as a comfort - it really helps. But it also helps with adding mass to my hips!

Good luck.
    Amanda
  • mitchyinge
    Options
    I almost doubled in size thanks to chlorpromazine, olanzapine and other stuff - I had been a BIT thin before I was diagnosed but that is hardly the point. Some meds are definitely friendlier to the waistline than others, you can insist on the most weight-neutral options at all times. It's been quite a while since I was overweight and I take lithium and a small dose of quetiapine.

The good news is all the exercise and healthy eating and sleep that help with maintaining a healthy weight will also help your moods.

(and if any bipolar people here are on lithium and also do long distance running, or any other endurance stuff, please talk to me about how to stay hydrated without people warning you about hyponatraemia)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have been on Mirtazapine for well years .. and I think that I gained 20-30 lbs on it. So ... trying to lose it now.

But in the past .. the depression was worse than the weight gain, so it was the lesser of all evils.

It is no longer acceptable .. and I am no longer taking it and feeling fine. Exercise does a person good.
  • tdh115
    tdh115 Posts: 52
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am not bipolar but I do take medication for axiety and depression. I too have gained at least 30 lbs taking these meds. I am interested to know from those of you have lost weight, are you able at some point to come off your medications and do you find that you lose the weight better after you are off these meds?

Thanks
  • I have found that my meds will only take me so far. I've been on the same medication for 2 years and I'm exploring what other ways I can better my bipolar disorder. Beyond the exercise and diet - I have also drastically cut my sugar intake as well as caffeine. There is a mixture of meds, therapy and things I can control that will give me the most relief from my bipolar disorder - I am just amazed at how much the exercise and balanced diet has worked.
  • tamtam314
    Options
    Hello. I do not have Bipolar Disorder, but I do have a Panic disorder. It's the wildest thing, but working out seems to keep my panic attacks at bay better than the meds do. It's also a good way to keep my general mood on the up and up. I just feel better when I have worked out. Whatever you do, stick with it for a while- that is the only way to know for sure if it is working out.
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that most medications don't change your metabolism much. They do mess with the appetite centers of your brain, so you are likely to think you are hungry when you really aren't (or, possibly, have the opposite effect and suppress appetite). So counting calories becomes even more important in losing/maintaining weight. (This from several of my doctors, by the way)

No, sorry, they do, although the latest AAPs are better. If you spend enough time on the psych boards, you will know about this article: http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/10/zyprexa_and_fat.html

Simply put, AAPs change the way your body metabolizes carbs. If you follow the standard macros in your diet, with lots of carbs, losing the weight will be incredibly hard. There are lots of stories on the boards of people who lost weight on AAPs while reducing carbs.