Gone way over my calories on Friday and today :(

Options
Right so I only start calorie counting again on Wednesday, i was doing well until Friday because i decided that i would have every Friday as a 'cheat day' i had a big binge on chocolate and crisps.. but then today i've also gone way over my calories again because it's been my nephews birthday and there was a lot of food about. But i'm going to go to the gym 3 or 4 times this week.. Does it cancel it out or not? Or have i probably put weight on this weekend?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally depends how much over you went and what kind of workout you did at the gym. If you burned more calories than you ate, you'll lose weight, if you ate more calories than you burned, you'll gain weight.
  • SunnyDee712
    SunnyDee712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much. Tomorrow is another day! Get back on track and don't look back! Good luck!
  • RebeccaC2410
    RebeccaC2410 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any exercise today, does it matter that its on a different day, i.e tomorrow.. say i overate today by 500 cals and lost 500 cals at the gym tomorrow, does it even it out?
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    exactly how much did you go over? dont forget that depending on how much you ate over your macros, you may have just ate maintenance and not anything that will make you gain. 3500 calories = 1lb
  • RebeccaC2410
    Options
    Thank you Sunny Dee, I thought I would ask as I'm at the beginning of my diet and already had 2 bad days!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    At some point you have to decide how to manage all of life's events and take care of your health too. Every day contains people's birthdays, work events, parties, outings with friends. It's choices we make every day that determine our success.

Generally though, it would take an incredible amount of working out to equal out a major blowout day. I figure that it would take me 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3.8 mph and and an incline of 9% to equal 4 Oreo cookies. That put things in perspective for me.
  • RebeccaC2410
    Options
    Good point Brunette :) thank you
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Totally depends how much over you went and what kind of workout you did at the gym. If you burned more calories than you ate, you'll lose weight, if you ate more calories than you burned, you'll gain weight.

^^^^that!

We don't put weight on because of one or two bad days, in the same way that we don't lose weight because of one or two good days. Have your cheat day, but plan for it, if you know you have a party to go to on Saturday, make Saturday your cheat day and keep that in mind through the week.
  • manders376
    manders376 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It has helped me to not think of this as a "diet" but as a life style change (I am starting over again and have my days where I go over as well!)

When I have a diet mind set and have a bad day I am more likely to think "well the whole week is blown, next week will be better" That is a pretty poor attitude!

When I think of it as a lifestyle change I am more likely to see a bad day as just that a bad day, one moment in time. Tomorrow will be better and I will move forward.

good luck!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Only way to know for sure is by the numbers -- how many calories gone over vs. how many burnt off. If you logged it then you'll know. Otherwise just dust off and move on.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump for later read
  • RebeccaC2410
    Options
    what does 'bump for later read' mean?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to look at things from a weekly perspective rather than a daily one. If I know there's an occassion of some sort coming up, (or if I want a few munchies in front of the Walking Dead tonight), I'll have a bigger deficit the day prior or get a little extra exercise in to make up for the extra indulgence.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Bump is short for 'bring up my post'. It means the person is commenting so they will see this on their feed later and can read it then. People will also say 'In' or 'Tagging' with the same meaning.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thank you Sunny Dee, I thought I would ask as I'm at the beginning of my diet and already had 2 bad days!

Stop overthinking things.

It's not a diet, and there's no deprivation. Get your head around a lifestyle change - what you do now, you do for the rest of your life. There is no end otherwise you go back to what it was that made you change.

"Bad days" exist, and you can deal with them within a framework of a moderate deficit. Not daily, but overall. Some days you'll go over, some days under. In the long term, eating at a deficit will make you lose weight. Simple physics.

I would say, however, that if you've had two blowouts in the first week, then you really need to get your head in order and make sure you are aligned to a new way of life.

Good luck!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Bump is short for 'bring up my post'.

You learn something new every day.
  • RebeccaC2410
    Options
    Thank you everybody, much appreciated!
    1025367 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It's not bad hat you binged. The hard part if bouncing back from the binge, and eating the right amount of calories again. that's how most people end up giving up, because they think their binge day was the end of the road, and they'll never be able to loose the weight they got from those calories. Just get back into the swing of things! Go to the gym, eat a lot of vegetables, stay away from the binge food.

If you can't seem to stay away from the binge food, put all of it on a very high shelf, or ask someone to hide it. Out of sight, out of mind! Or, at least you will burn calories looking for it :)