Quick, Filling Breakfast Ideas?

Options
My mom always told me that with the bowls I use to eat cereal, I probably eat 2 servings, not just one. Well, after seeing a box I bought had 12 servings and I only finished it in a couple of days, I think she's right, LOL. But that was the quickest thing for me to eat... and I imagine if I do only consume a cup of cereal, it won't hold me over until lunch time.. especially if I workout in the morning.. I'm SO much more hungry.

So, any ideas on something that's quick AND filling? The less cooking involved, the better, because I'm usually in a rush to leave the house. I was on an oatmeal kick for awhile, but as pathetic as I am, I'd always manage to screw it up and have it be too watery or too dry LOL

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    one of the best for you and easy to fix is, Old fashion Oatmeal. you can cook it the old fashion way or just pop it in the microwave for a few mins.

It one of those foods that will keep you full longer and very good for you.
  • wh0a_is_me
    Options
    Yeah, I think that may be my best bet - maybe throw some fruit in it, too. It's just so disappointing when I screw up a bowl of oatmeal haha
  • iDreamNEON
    Options
    I have to cosign with the oatmeal idea. Cut a banana up with it or sweeten with honey [i don't like fake stuff like splenda] and maybe throw in some walnuts or pecans for protein. That plus a bottle of water keeps me full through my morning classes.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I have found that eating 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon really hold me over, and you can microwave both easily. The other thing I will say, is that why do you think you have to wait until lunch to eat again? I eat at least 5 times a day...gotta have something to eat around 10:30. Typically fruit or nuts. Spread those calories out over your day; you don't have to cram them into 3 meals.
  • naturebaby
    Options
    protein is where its at for me..eggs..leftover meat..PBJ on whole wheat with a protein drink...I can go play a 5 hour round of golf with high energy and I don't get hungry either. I agree with the above also..eat more often if you are hungry, then your less likely to eat more than you should.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    i have a
    1 c Almond Milk (40 cal per a cup)
    1 C Blueberries
    1/2 c uncooked oats
    1 scoop of protein powder
    1 tsp. (or tbl) of coffee
    mix in blender this is about a 400 cal breakfast
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg, single serve kashi instant oatmeal, fruit, protein bar, ensure, toast, greek yogurt. Those are the fastest things I can think of.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I don't last well in the morning, either. I have to grab and go often.

The instant oatmeal works for both reasons. Nuts and fruit in it is yummy, but watch out for the nuts because they add up fast in calories. Some nuts are better that way, like sunflower better than walnuts for calories. Otherwise I can make it to 10am snack if I have half a bagle with light cream cheese. I used to eat a whole one with whole real cream cheese, but cutting back has been fine.

Another totally different idea is some low cal bread (whole grain is better) and a microwaved (stir up the yoke so it doesn't pop) egg or fried egg. You can fold one bread over egg for a grab and go, or make it a whole 2 piece sandwich. Arnold flat bread makes a whole grain flatbread that is delicious and 100 calorie.
  • wh0a_is_me
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll give some of those ideas the try - I think the main thing is to up my protein.
    I have found that eating 2 eggs and 2 strips of bacon really hold me over, and you can microwave both easily. The other thing I will say, is that why do you think you have to wait until lunch to eat again? I eat at least 5 times a day...gotta have something to eat around 10:30. Typically fruit or nuts. Spread those calories out over your day; you don't have to cram them into 3 meals.

I usually eat breakfast around 9/10AM.. depending on the day.. then I have kickboxing/work, or school. I usually take a piece of fruit to eat with me on the way (about an hour after breakfast) When I work, I don't have a choice but to wait until 130ish to eat again. When I'm at school, I'll eat again at 1230 after my first class. But like I said, I probably just have to try getting more protein in...and drink more water.

Another issue is like I said, whenever I workout in the morning.. or at all, I feel like everything I eat burns through me and I get really hungry really quickly =(
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    I just want to say eating two servings of cereal for breakfast is no big deal, will probably only cost you about 200-250 calories depending on the cereal. Also, should be eating at least 7 (to 12) grains a day, so as long as it's not a sugary bad for you cereal, it should be ok. Have you ever measured your cereal out? Maybe one morning if you try that you can figure out how much you're actually eating.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I just want to say eating two servings of cereal for breakfast is no big deal, will probably only cost you about 200-250 calories depending on the cereal. Also, should be eating at least 7 (to 12) grains a day, so as long as it's not a sugary bad for you cereal, it should be ok. Have you ever measured your cereal out? Maybe one morning if you try that you can figure out how much you're actually eating.

I can't recommend Kashi cereal enough. It's high protein, high fiber, and doesn't taste awful. My favorite is the toasted berry crumble. It's delish!
  • Deebo958
    Options
    I like to take a whole grain/wheat tortilla, spread it with a small amount of Simply Jif and then roll a small banana up in it and eat it like a buritto. I can easily eat it in the car on my way to work, or I wrap it in foil and eat it when I get to the office. I also love the protein bars that I get at Aldis. I will eat one of those for breakfast then mid morning will have a container of light yogurt. I also love cereal, but like you eat far more than one serving at a time!
  • nursesarah79
    nursesarah79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I USUALLY EAT OATMEAL OR CEREAL FOR BREAKFAST BECAUSE LIKE YOU I AM USUALLY IN A HURRY TO LEAVE AND LUCKY TO HAVE TIME TO GRAB A CUP OF COFFEE FOR THE ROAD.
    BUT I AGREE WITH OTHERS IN SAYING YOU NEED AT LEAST A MID MORNING SNACK.
    I KEEP GRANOLA BAR OR DRY CEREAL IN MY DESK DRAWER FOR SNACKS OR WHEN I AM JUST PLAIN HUNGRY AND NEED TO MUNCH. KEEPS ME FROM THE CANDY BOWL FOR SURE!
    ALSO I KEEP MY WATER BOTTLE FULL OF ICE WATER SO WHEN MY GRANOLA BAR OR WHATEVER JUST ISNT DOING IT I ALWAYS HAVE MY WATER!

GOOD LUCK!
  • mamacremers
    mamacremers Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe something like a Luna bar (or other protein bar) and a ton of water. That used to fill me up for a while. Well, but I was eating those Myoplex bars because the Golds gym people convinced me that stuff was going to help me lose weight. Except it's PACKED with calories! I just checked the nutrition info and it's about as much as a bowl of cereal (one serving) :)
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this same problem, especially since my job often prevents me from eating lunch until much later in the day than I would prefer.

The best breakfast I've had was an English muffin with an egg, a couple slices of ham and a thin slice of extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Super filling under 300 calories and very yummy, but who's got time to make that every morning?

I'd been doing the instant oatmeal thing, too, but it seems to fade by about 11am. Recently I've been trying whole-wheat English muffins with a bit of homemade apple butter, we'll see how that stands up. No matter what, it seems like I'm still snacking around 11:00. Who knows, maybe that's just how my body works.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm never hungry when I first get up, so I usually just have my usual coffee, wait about an hour or so, then I'm ready to eat. I'm pretty random, never consistent in what I eat from day to day. I find I get filled up with a hard boiled egg and a banana, or stone cut oatmeal with honey, walnuts, and mangoes.

L.
  • thelgeson
    Options
    If you have a problem with cooking the oats, don't cook them! :)

I have the following for breakfast or a snack on most days and it's fast and easy. Easy to mix up with different fruits and tastes too.

1/3 cup raw oats
    1/3 cup plain fat free yogurt
    banana (add any fruit, nuts or granola.)
    if you need a little more sweetness that you might not get from a sweet fruit, try a drizzle of honey.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I often scramble up some eggs the night before and pop them in the microwave the next morning. It doens't effect the flavor and eggs are so good for you!!