Anyone else have gastric sleeve or WLS surgery?

Options
I'm Lyn and I had gastric sleeve surgery on November 1, 2010. I have lost 67 pounds so far and feel fabulous but those last 10-15 pounds just don't want to budge! I would like to meet a few friends who have also had WLS! Good luck to everyone on your journey!! :happy:

Replies

• ladiluvbug83
    ladiluvbug83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had lapband sugery in 10/09. I have lost 65 pounds. Add me as a friend if you wish.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass on Feb. 7. 2011.
  • billyboombox
    Options
    Hey Smiley,
    I had the Roux En Y gastric bypass on 7/20/10 and have lost 160 pounds so far... feelin awesome but I still have another 20 pounds to go to get to my goal of weighing 180 but at a plateau for the last 2-3 months... I weigh 204 currently and want to break my 200 threshold but can't... Just continuing to make smart food choices and battling my mind on a minute by minute basis! (lol) Keep up the good work and just continue to do your 30 minutes of workouts each day and you'll continue the momentum!!! Oh and don't forget to carry your water bottle with you everywhere you go!!! WATER WATER WATER IS YOUR FRIEND!!! :)
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric sleeve done October 1st 2009, I had it done as a result of an ulcer, but same outcome.

I lost 77 pounds in a year. My weight started to creep up over the last few months due to a stressful incident I was involved in. But apart from that and getting use to what you can and can't eat, it has all been fabulous.

I have always struggled with weight, my heaviest being 264 pounds.

Good luck and friend me or message me if you want or if I can help :bigsmile:
  • Ricca_m
    Ricca_m Posts: 2
    Options
    I had Gastric Sleeve 2/16/11 to help treat endo and reproductive tumors. I have lost 56lbs so far and have plateaued out. I am focusing on water & protein, keeping a log has helped me realize I was falling very short of hitting my goals and having too much sodium and carbs.
  • lebogert77
    Options
    i had gastric sleeve june 2009 at my best i lost 107 lbs. i haven't been doing great the last 6-7 months and gained back about 10-15 lbs. working now on trying to control my eating and exercising more.
  • tclausewitz
    tclausewitz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a gastric sleeve on on 5/23/2011 - down 10 pounds pre-op, and 20 more since surgery. I just joined MyFitnessPal yesterday, and think it's a great tracking tool. Best of luck to everyone!
  • bwagstaff
    bwagstaff Posts: 6
    Options
    I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery on 11/29/10 and have lost 110 pounds so far. This is by far the best thing I have ever done. I am at the point now that my appetite is coming back and I fully realize that if I just snack all day I can easily consume the same number of calories I did before. I get so upset when people suggest that I took the easy way out with this surgery because they don't understand that it is only a tool--NOT a quick fix. There is no quick fix to this.

I also am at a point where my system seems to have "rebooted" itself--has anyone else gotten to that point yet? The weight loss isn't so fast anymore and I plateau every 10 pounds for about a week and then drop 4 pounds almost overnight, then lose the other 6 steadily and then get stuck again. Is this normal? This has happened for the last 30 pounds or so. Also, now that I forced myself to get in the water I need on a daily basis, I find that I can eat more....that scares me. Anyone else have this struggle?

Good luck to all of you!!! I look forward to getting to know some other people who have had the sleeve done.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    I will be having the bypass in August 2011..I CANT wait.
  • FinallyFitLJ
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve May 17, 2010. To date I have lost 83lbs. I was diabetic and had high blood pressure. I no longer have those ailments. For my diabetes, I was prescribed Januvia. I also have PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome). PCOS makes it difficult to lose weigh and can cause diabetes due to the hormone imbalance which causes the body to not know what to do with insulin. Once I lost a considerable amount of weight, my Dr. took me off Januvia in April of 2011 and I was eating everything. I mean cookies cakes, animal crackers were my vice. I thought my sugar was out of whack so I asked my Dr. to prescribe Januvia to get me back on track but we checked my sugar levels and they were normal. I discovered that the Januvia helps control my appetite. I'm not sure why but I'm positive my hormones are out of whack without the medication. So, without the help of some form of appetite suppressant, I'm sure I'd be creeping back up on the scale. All is well now. I no longer crave the cookies cakes and pies but it's scary to know that after all the hard work, if I don't pay attention I could be back where I started.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I had VSG on 6/6/11 and have lost 30 lbs so far. I am hoping things pick up and I actually make it under 200lbs again.

Send me an add request if your VSG or WLS. ThankS!
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i had gastric sleeve june 2009 at my best i lost 107 lbs. i haven't been doing great the last 6-7 months and gained back about 10-15 lbs. working now on trying to control my eating and exercising more.
    My friend had it done 3 years ago. She has gained by 13lbs. (she says) the thing with that is you don't gain your weight back all over. She had gained it all back in her muffin top region. Still has small slim hips, but starting to get a gut back.
    gotta be careful, not to fall back into the bad habits, once your thin.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I'm Lyn and I had gastric sleeve surgery on November 1, 2010. I have lost 67 pounds so far and feel fabulous but those last 10-15 pounds just don't want to budge! I would like to meet a few friends who have also had WLS! Good luck to everyone on your journey!! :happy:

You can do it!!! Feel free to get additional support on WLS support thread I started last year!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    My friend had it done 3 years ago. She has gained by 13lbs. (she says) the thing with that is you don't gain your weight back all over. She had gained it all back in her muffin top region. Still has small slim hips, but starting to get a gut back.
    gotta be careful, not to fall back into the bad habits, once your thin.

Yes you can gain the weight back. that is why any WLS surgery is not the easy way out. We still have to work very had at weight maintenance.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    In October 2004 I had Gastric Bypass surgery (Weight Loss Surgery) October 2004. WLS was the best gift to myself from my wonderful surgeon Dr. Cahill and his wonderful staff. They are still supporting me on my journey.

In the last 3 years I have gained back 80 of almost 300 pounds lost initially after weight loss surgery. I never reached my goal weight of 200 pounds. I still managed to keep off over 65 percent of the weight I lost which is very good and I am very proud of my accomplishments since 2004. It has literally changed my life for the better on all levels. I am here to lose re-gained weight and to reach my initial goal weight. I am in no hurry. I am taking this one day at a time and I am in it for the long haul.

Surgery did not fix the head. It is a good tool and the best gift I have given to myself, but it was not the easy way out as many people think. Once the honeymoon period is over after the WLS it is up to the patient to keep the weight off.

My highest weight was 611 in 2003. Weight in 2004 before surgery was 580. Lowest weight after surgery was 302 in 2007.

My goal for 2010 was to get back on track and I did that. 2010 is the 1st year in 3 years that I did not gain weight.

In 2011 my main goal is to get under 300 pounds. Starting weight with MFP is 388 - March 27,

Below I weighed over 600 pounds
    YOGII-DC2004.jpg

I was about 310 or less in below picture in Feb 2007 and today I weigh 345, so I am trying to get back to 310 and even lower, one day at a time.
    YOGIIAFTERFEB2007.jpg

I still have a ways to go but I will get there one day at a time :) I love reminding myself that I have come a long ways even though I have a ways to go still.

I have 6 and half more months reach my 2011 goal of getting under 300 pounds!

"I May Not Be Where I Want To Be, but Im Not Where I Use To Be!"

MY BLOG link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Mollie1037/view/so-i-never-forget-how-far-i-have-come-already-and-my-journey-is-not-over-114918
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Please feel free to join us on below thread for additional support:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/267363-wls-support-and-inspirational-information

Go back to message boards and then My Topics to find it again daily for new posts!
  • bcapps12345
    Options
    i had gastric sleeve feb 29,2012 and have lost 49 lbs so far.add me if you want as a friend
  • TKKeith
    TKKeith Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve 1/10/11 down almost 80 lbs, 20 to go:)
  • Insane24Se7en
    Insane24Se7en Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey There -

I had a VSG on 10/10/2011 and since I made the decision to get into the process, I have lost 105 pounds but now have been hovering at 275 for faaaar too long. My weight fluctuates a pound up or down each day but hasn't gone anywhere lately. Does anybody have any sites that they would recommend for recipes? Any help provided would be great. Additionally, anyone that has been through a similar experience can feel free to friend request me on here.

Thanks,
    Insane24Se7en
  • huligoo
    Options
    Hello..Im still diabetic and I am post op almost 5 months on less meds just on metformin 2x a day...I feel i have hormone problems too...I do have pcos symptoms still...but have a period every 30 days...my weight is slow to come off...Im stuck at 240 my HW was 283 now 240 I need to lose 60 more lbs.....