Christmas gift for hunters

Options
EmilyRanae22
EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
Hey Everyone,

My husband has decided he wants to pick up bow hunting. I have already procured him a bow and I'm going to get him a sight and arrows for his birthday. What would be some complementary gifts for Christmas?

I'm looking at Camo but I'm not sure which type to get or if there's something else awesome to get him.

Thanks~!

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    A quick google throws up some DVDs on how to process deer. That is what I would want to know - how to get the food from the bow to the table.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    that's one thing he actually has experience with. He's been hunting before and his friend taught him how to clean deer and cayote...that's a great idea though. I was thinking of maybe a "hunters cookbook"...but, to be honest, I'll probably be the one cooking whatever he gets
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Sounds like you know what to ask for this Xmas!

What about a smoker for him? It seems like you can put anything in a smoker and get something edible out of it.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Sounds like you know what to ask for this Xmas!

What about a smoker for him? It seems like you can put anything in a smoker and get something edible out of it.

ooh, yeah that might be a good idea
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    We only smoke fish, but you can get different flavoured chips for the smoker, which lend themselves to birthdays...
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If you get him camo gear make sure it is a soft fabric, so many of they are to noisy. Give it the rub test in the store and if it makes a sound pass on it.
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

My husband has decided he wants to pick up bow hunting. I have already procured him a bow and I'm going to get him a sight and arrows for his birthday. What would be some complementary gifts for Christmas?

I'm looking at Camo but I'm not sure which type to get or if there's something else awesome to get him.

Thanks~!

He's going to need a target...Reinhardt 18 in 1 is my favorite..not sure if he's shot a bow but you can get him a lesson at your local pro shop..rangefinder...good pair of binoculars...as far as camo honestly one pattern isn't any better than the other you just want something that will blend in with the vegetation in your area & with bow hunting a material that is quiet is key...and gift cards are always great...
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks~!

He's going to need a target...Reinhardt 18 in 1 is my favorite..not sure if he's shot a bow but you can get him a lesson at your local pro shop..rangefinder...good pair of binoculars...as far as camo honestly one pattern isn't any better than the other you just want something that will blend in with the vegetation in your area & with bow hunting a material that is quiet is key...and gift cards are always great...

Oh, yes.

Not sure what your budget is, but a good pair of binox are priceless. The kids have Bushnells and we have Leicas. Would not be without them.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Binos definitely seem pricy so I was thinking, he'll be hunting with friends so maybe he can just share? Or is that a bad idea? A target is a good idea so he can just go out back and do some target practice.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The gift that keeps on giving, of course!

camolingerie_zps8b2c9928.jpg
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Thanks, arathena, for that priceless piece of objectication. I'm sure that is just what Emily was after! :)
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Just had a quick browse of yandy.com.

Blerch.

Real women don't offer up other women on slurpy pages.
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    lol what are "Slurpy pages?" I'm on a work computer so I didn't even dare checking out yandy...

whenever a woman posts what to get her man, there's always a recommendation for lingerie or bedroom favors....I must admit that's a pretty cute outfit
  • IhScoutII
    IhScoutII Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Binos definitely seem pricy so I was thinking, he'll be hunting with friends so maybe he can just share? Or is that a bad idea? A target is a good idea so he can just go out back and do some target practice.

No you can't share binos..bowhunting is really a solitary hunt since you have to get so close to the game....there are some good brands with less expensive models like Nikon, Vortex and redfield....as far as a good cookbook there is a great hunting fourm called texasbowhunter(great info for your husband) and on their merchandise page they sell a cookbook that is full recipes that the members submitted...
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    lol what are "Slurpy pages?" I'm on a work computer so I didn't even dare checking out yandy...

whenever a woman posts what to get her man, there's always a recommendation for lingerie or bedroom favors....I must admit that's a pretty cute outfit

Sorry, didn't take my meds today.
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Oh I"m excited that he is gonna do it!!! There is so much you could get him....He's going to need clothes for different seasons, gloves, hats, boots, or shoes. Not sure if you guys need to wear hunter orange but we need that here. He's going to need targets, a bag for all his gear, books on whatever game he wants to hunt. Some people swear by scent-a-way stuff, sprays, detergents.

Oh man...I could keep the list going....LOL
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options

No you can't share binos..bowhunting is really a solitary hunt since you have to get so close to the game....there are some good brands with less expensive models like Nikon, Vortex and redfield....as far as a good cookbook there is a great hunting fourm called texasbowhunter(great info for your husband) and on their merchandise page they sell a cookbook that is full recipes that the members submitted...

cool, thanks for the input
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options

Sorry, didn't take my meds today.
    :laugh:
  • EmilyRanae22
    Options
    Oh I"m excited that he is gonna do it!!! There is so much you could get him....He's going to need clothes for different seasons, gloves, hats, boots, or shoes. Not sure if you guys need to wear hunter orange but we need that here. He's going to need targets, a bag for all his gear, books on whatever game he wants to hunt. Some people swear by scent-a-way stuff, sprays, detergents.

Oh man...I could keep the list going....LOL

for his birthday I started with a sight for the bow and a good hunting knife. When we went to pick out the bow it made me want to start hunting too lol...we'll see if that happens! For Christmas I got him some camo pants and a jacket I wanted to go crazy but decided to try to stick to our budget