Trying to cut sugar

Options
I always seems to go way over on sugar in my diet, often by 2-3 times the recommended amount of grams.

I don't drink soda at all, and very occasionally will have a sugary dessert, anything containing white flour, or processed foods. The major sources of sugar in my diet are milk, fruits and vegetables, and the small amount of blackstrap molasses I take as a potassium/calcium/magnesium/iron supplement.

Should I be worried about exceeding my daily recommended limit? If I should be, how can I make changes that will net me less sugar but not impact fiber or other vitamins/minerals I am currently getting from milk, fresh fruit, and starchy vegetables? I'm also consistently under on carbs, so I'm not sure how to get more carbohydrates while also cutting sugar (since the two tend to go hand-in-hand.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I am honestly too lazy to find the numerous posts on MFP's default sugar limit, but I'll sumarize:

Basically MFPs sugar thing is "added" sugar. You will go over if you eat a banana. Don't stress over it that much, as you said, you're not binging on sweets/candies/soda/tablespoons full of pure sugar.

Best of luck to ya!:flowerforyou: (Seriously use the search feature up there to search for "sugar". )
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There is really no reason to track your sugar unless you have a medical condition that requires you to. For the most part, so long as you're not overdoing the sugar on a regular basis, you'll be fine, just pay attention to overall carbs.

Sugar, the recreational drug of the year.
  • zak138
    zak138 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There is really no reason to track your sugar unless you have a medical condition that requires you to. For the most part, so long as you're not overdoing the sugar on a regular basis, you'll be fine, just pay attention to overall carbs.

This.

But just try and stick to the recommended intake of 70g a day. I'm not sure what you are currently aiming for but this should be your goal.

I'm easily hitting about 20-35g a day, diet is pretty varied, whole breads, pastas, meats, veges, fruits (even with their sugar) and the occassional lolly, I hardly hit about 35g a day, go through your diary and see what is pushing it up so much.

Stay away from processed foods as well :)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    All plants have carbohydrates. I would eat more fruit and vegetables if you're under on carbs all the time. Your diary is private so it's hard to say anything else.

The food diary doesn't know the difference between sugar in a POP Tart and a banana. The sugar will go over if you eat a couple of pieces of fruit. Some people go into the food diary settings and choose something else to track (like calcium, potassium, iron, fiber, etc. -- you can change them around from time to time).