Diet Soda Anyone?

Options

Replies

• bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Like so many things, it might not affect your weight loss in a week or a year, or even years but the toll it takes on your health otherwise is really not good. Diet soda has been accused of causing migraines, brain tumors, ulcers, rotted teeth, cancer, gut issues and leaching calcium out of the bones. Why knowingly drink acid? If someone flavors goat piss with enough fake sugar to make it palatable and put it over ice, it probably wouldn't cause weight gain either. But why?
    Why knowingly drink acid? Seriously? 99.9% of all foods are acidic. Oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits are all much stronger acids than diet soda. Yes, diet soda has been accused of causing lots of health problems. So have eggs, butter, milk, meat, bread, rice, apples, and pretty much every food, ever. The evidence shows diet soda doesn't cause any of the things you listed. Again, stop spreading fear and ignorance, take the time to actually study these things.

I'm curious, when have apples been accused of doing damage to the body? (other than organic vs. non organic) And yes lemons and limes go in acid, but are turned alkaline in the body. Alkaline= good. Other than apples all of the other food you mentioned are acids.

Your stomach acid has a pH of 2. Nothing is turning alkaline in there.

The alkaline of your stomach varies actually. But where is this apple evidence?
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Citric Acid is a "weak" acid, meaning once it's done it's job in providing energy in metabolism it's eliminated easily via sweat and respiration. It is alkaline forming in that it stimulates the formation of calcium carbonate in the body. Calcium carbonate then neutralizes the "Strong" acids in the body, acids that can only be gotten rid of through urination, including uric acid which is the end result of protein metabolism. Lemons also have many alkaline minerals.
  • sdps745
    sdps745 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink it quiet a bit and have lost almost a total of 45lbs. If i find one that has stevia as the sweetener i'll start drinking that instead of the current nasty ones. =D

Whole Foods carry a wide variety of sodas with stevia
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Citric Acid is a "weak" acid, meaning once it's done it's job in providing energy in metabolism it's eliminated easily via sweat and respiration. It is alkaline forming in that it stimulates the formation of calcium carbonate in the body. Calcium carbonate then neutralizes the "Strong" acids in the body, acids that can only be gotten rid of through urination, including uric acid which is the end result of protein metabolism. Lemons also have many alkaline minerals.

Is the phosphoric acid in Coke good for you too? The big problem with acid in food isn't so much when it hits the stomach, which has real acid of its own, but while it's being swilled around the mouth. If you're drinking a bucket of weak acid every day your mouth hardly gets a chance to return to a neutral state and the teeth suffer.
    The answer is "anything in moderation", even very healthy foods eaten to excess can have quite unpleasant side effects.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    After having gastric sleeve surgery I can't drink it. Do I miss it? Sometimes but not enough to make me buy some then wait for it to go flat so I can drink it. Still better than the gallons of mountain dew I drank before I sorted out my diet pre op.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Like so many things, it might not affect your weight loss in a week or a year, or even years but the toll it takes on your health otherwise is really not good. Diet soda has been accused of causing migraines, brain tumors, ulcers, rotted teeth, cancer, gut issues and leaching calcium out of the bones. Why knowingly drink acid? If someone flavors goat piss with enough fake sugar to make it palatable and put it over ice, it probably wouldn't cause weight gain either. But why?
    Why knowingly drink acid? Seriously? 99.9% of all foods are acidic. Oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits are all much stronger acids than diet soda. Yes, diet soda has been accused of causing lots of health problems. So have eggs, butter, milk, meat, bread, rice, apples, and pretty much every food, ever. The evidence shows diet soda doesn't cause any of the things you listed. Again, stop spreading fear and ignorance, take the time to actually study these things.

I'm curious, when have apples been accused of doing damage to the body? (other than organic vs. non organic) And yes lemons and limes go in acid, but are turned alkaline in the body. Alkaline= good. Other than apples all of the other food you mentioned are acids.
    Apples have a pH of 3.3, they are definitely acids. They are also good sources of arsenic and formaldehyde. As for lemons and limes turning Into alkalis, I've never seen any science about the human body changing the pH of food you eat. It doesn't need to, since stomach acid has a pH of 0-1, which is far lower than anything a person will eat or drink, including soda.

Would you care to explain, biologically, how the digestion of a lemon turns it from an acid to a base? The only places I've seen that are the ridiculous "alkaline diet" claims, which try to justify their "diet" by trying to explain how all the foods they tell you to eat magically stop being acids, while all the foods they tell you not to eat magically don't change.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You can drink it, no worries. I can't drink it in moderation though, I just get addicted to it.

So now I have it as a treat, if I'm either out for a meal or if I'm mixing it with vodka.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Your stomach acid has a pH of 2. Nothing is turning alkaline in there.

The alkaline of your stomach varies actually. But where is this apple evidence?

I don't know nothing about no apples, that's another poster. But a pH of 2 is incredibly acidic, and since pH is on a logarithmic scale and not a linear one, you'd be hard pressed to find any food that will make your stomach acid more alkaline (aka: basic)....

t;ldr: Your stomach acid cannot be, by definition, alkaline.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My mom was type one diabetic. I grew up in a house that had lots of diet coke and I got used to the taste early. I still drank the sugary stuff with my dad, but if that wasn't available the diet versions were fine. Then I stopped consuming sugar period for 6 months and now I can't even taste a regular soda without gagging. All I taste is corn syrup. Same with sweet tea..... Yuck. And as a southern girl, turning down sweet tea gets you some interesting looks LOL.

I allow myself one to two diet sodas a day though. Usually at lunch and when I get home in the evening. The rest of the time I drink water and green tea or unsweet black tea. This compared to the fact ALL I drank was diet coke previously. I think it is a great improvement compared to past habits. However, past diet experience I still lived on diet coke and no, it did not impede my weight loss. It did not make me crave sweets. It did not make me over eat. Everyone is different, but no, it did not hinder my effort to lose weight at all.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pepsi and have lost 151 lbs. We could discuss all day many items you should not eat, drink, use etc. because they cause one thing or another. My thought - I only get to live life ONCE; no rewinds or do over's, therefore, if I want something and I can make it work in my lifestyle then I am going to have it, experience it, etc.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Diet.Coke... yes I will, have and will always :) Just with my current change I went from 6 a day down to 2.. I am good with that :bigsmile:
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    My mom was type one diabetic. I grew up in a house that had lots of diet coke and I got used to the taste early. I still drank the sugary stuff with my dad, but if that wasn't available the diet versions were fine. Then I stopped consuming sugar period for 6 months and now I can't even taste a regular soda without gagging. All I taste is corn syrup. Same with sweet tea..... Yuck. And as a southern girl, turning down sweet tea gets you some interesting looks LOL.

I allow myself one to two diet sodas a day though. Usually at lunch and when I get home in the evening. The rest of the time I drink water and green tea or unsweet black tea. This compared to the fact ALL I drank was diet coke previously. I think it is a great improvement compared to past habits. However, past diet experience I still lived on diet coke and no, it did not impede my weight loss. It did not make me crave sweets. It did not make me over eat. Everyone is different, but no, it did not hinder my effort to lose weight at all.

My mother is a type 1 as well and I grew up with diet coke! Also from the south. I know how you feel - regular coke is just too sweet.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options

My mother is a type 1 as well and I grew up with diet coke! Also from the south. I know how you feel - regular coke is just too sweet.

AMEN to Sweet Tea in the South. I use to drink a pitcher of sweet tea a day!! Yeap, it was good too!! :bigsmile: January 2011 I gave it up cold turkey!! I haven't had one sip since then. However, you know how they say you substitute one bad behavior for another....Yeap Diet Mt. Dew!! I keep telling myself I don't need that and should be drinking WATER!! But, it helps me so much when I think i'm hungry!! :bigsmile: One day I told myself, Okay you have to drink a glass of water before you can have a soda. Well, I did it for a day!! Next day, back to same old same old!! For now, I don't want to give it up....maybe one day!! :drinker:
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I would die without Diet Dr Pepper - I'm sure of it. It just makes life better.

Lmao @ this!

I've been curious about this too and I love knowing that so many of you are on board. I still have 1 diet soda almost every day. I've cut a ridiculous amount of junk out of my diet.. leave my diet soda alone! haha.

Maybe when I get down to those last 10 lbs I'll wean off :)
  • romancefan1983
    romancefan1983 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink either Coke Zero or Pepsi Max in the morning (I need some caffeine and don't drink coffee) but the rest of the day I drink water. I still get my soda fix but in moderation. :drinker:
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Sooo...diet soda is a no in your diet? Or is it ok since it has no calories? It has no nutritional value. Do you guys drink it?

In reasonable moderation, it's fine. Shoot, I'm obsessed with coke zero and diet dr pepper. However, it should never be a substitute for pure water. Make sure you get your water alotment in for the day without counting any diet soda drinks.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I think it should be noted that diet soda will not cause any actual fat gain. Some people might be affected by the carbonation and/or the sodium (which is almost nonexistant). Also, while for the majority of people this won't be an issue, but for some, artificial sweeteners can be dangerous. Although, I doubt the sweeteners will have any negative affect as your body won't really do anything with it despite what a few "studies" show...
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I miss pop terribly. But I find that as a diabetic that diet pop messes with me just as much as regular pop. I friggin love pop too, but it just makes me have to go to the bathroom too much and raises my blood sugar levels, so I don't drink it very often. But that is just my body's reaction to it.
  • OneEyedWolf
    OneEyedWolf Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yep, I typically have two 24oz bottles of Dt. Dew each day, sometimes I splurge and will even have three or four (I'm such a rebel). I just make sure I drink a lot of water to try to offset the extra sodium intake, typically 5 20oz bottles of water a day is my minimum.
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    I usually drink it with dinner!