Am I really THAT lazy?

Options
I've always done this so this isn't something new bc i'm fat-ter than ever. When I work out, I yawn. Sometimes more often than others. But like tonight, in Zumba, I'm not bored by any means and it's fast paced, but in between the songs, I caught myself yawning.

wth is that about? anyone else?

btw - i searched the forums before asking this question and all that came up where a bunch of these guys: :yawn:

Replies

• amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've heard when you yawn that is the bodies way to get oxygen. So maybe you just needed more of it. :)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The second poster is on the right track.

Here is a link to a page that includes the 3 most widely considered theories of why we yawn, and the need for oxygen is one of them.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/human-nature/behavior/question5721.htm
  • Benzo500
    Benzo500 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here's yet another theory... Yawning is believed to be induced when the level of glucose supplied to the brain decreases, as in the state of hunger.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I think that the above posters have the right idea. Sometimes I yawn when I'm not tired.
    If you ever watch the winter olympics, Apollo Anton Ohno (speed skater) yawns constantly during his workouts and warm ups. :laugh:
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    << However, if our bodies make us yawn to drawn in needed oxygen, wouldn't we yawn during exercise? Robert Provine, a psychologist at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, and a leading expert on yawning, has tested this theory. Giving people additional oxygen didn't decrease yawning and decreasing the amount of carbon dioxide in a subject's environment also didn't prevent yawning.>>

Well, mebbe I shoulda been one of his test subjects.

so basically, i'm yawning bc i'm winded
    and i'm winded bc i'm out of shape.

well that's an easy enough goal to conquer :)
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    I think that the above posters have the right idea. Sometimes I yawn when I'm not tired.
    If you ever watch the winter olympics, Apollo Anton Ohno (speed skater) yawns constantly during his workouts and warm ups. :laugh:

he does? that's rad. i'm not a freak! :)

OR

Apollo and I are the same kind of freaks. :huh:
  • Luv2bme
    Luv2bme Posts: 58
    Options
    Well, then I guess I'm not alone because I seem to have the same problem... I never thought to look into it though, so it was good that someone decided to ask about it :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I used to yawn ALL the time during workouts!

And I think I've yawned at least four times since reading the first post here. :yawn: :laugh:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    LOL it's been shown that just hearing the word yawn makes us yawn. It's THAT contagious!!! Try it on an unsuspecting person...tell them a story where you describe all the scientific reasons why we yawn and watch them start yawning.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • bosanka
    bosanka Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Make that five times just by reading this topic :)
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    i'm stifling one. i.will.not.succumb.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Just freaking yawned again.

:yawn:
  • fit2sit
    fit2sit Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm a yawner too. Yawn all day long, seems to happen more when I'm singing or after drinking a couple cups of coffee
  • ginnyroxx
    Options
    Just freaking yawned again.

:yawn:
    BAH!
    you got me! :yawn:
  • BexC
    BexC Posts: 53
    Options
    Damn you all I Yawned twice reading that - but I yawn during exercise as well!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've always done this so this isn't something new bc i'm fat-ter than ever. When I work out, I yawn. Sometimes more often than others. But like tonight, in Zumba, I'm not bored by any means and it's fast paced, but in between the songs, I caught myself yawning.

wth is that about? anyone else?

btw - i searched the forums before asking this question and all that came up where a bunch of these guys: :yawn:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yawning, I was always under the impression, was the body's way of being able to take in more oxygen than it normally could with just breathing. It would make sense, seeing as to how, when you workout you need more oxygen and that is when you yawn.

Try taking deeper breaths - not so deep you begin to hyperventilate though, you will go dizzy - but it might reduce the :yawn:
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I yawn A LOT during weight training! I can see why now that the oxygen was mentioned.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I had a bad episode of seasonal asthma a couple years ago and could NOT stop yawning when I exercising! I read an article that said that people who have asthma frequently yawn to get oxygen faster. I believe this because I found myself yawning like crazy just SO I could get air. I didn't even realize I was doing it most of the time.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    When I started out I was yawning a lot when I worked out. My trainer told me to eat something small before working out like a small apple, orange or half a protein/power/lara bar. That actually helped and I stopped yawning while working out. I don't remember what she told me as the reason why it would help I just know it did.