Anorexia is what the so-called symptoms, how to overcome?

Options
Long time did not eat well, and also really do not want to eat, no desire, I usually eat snacks, eat fruit, but also never felt hungry, this situation continued for about half a year. I wonder if anorexic?Thank you!

Replies

• lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Long time did not eat well, and also really do not want to eat, no desire, I usually eat snacks, eat fruit, but also never felt hungry, this situation continued for about half a year. I wonder if anorexic?Thank you!

In order to be classifiied to have anorexia nervosa you must have a distorted body image or you see yourself fatter than you actually are, you have your bmi lower than normal, you have a very very low calorie diet, you exercise excessively or use laxatives/diuretics to get rid of what you ate, and it must persist for at least 6 months. If you are a girl you also have amenorrhea or absence of mestruation for a consecutive 3 months. I am an occupational therapy student, do you think you fit in the criterias I've listed?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    People who are experiencing anorexia nervosa may exhibit some of the following symptoms and/or warning signs of the disease. Sometimes family members and friends will remark after a diagnosis has been made that they didn't realize how many behaviors and changes were related to the eating disorder. However, anorexia nervosa truly affects all areas of a person's life. It is a disease that primarily affects women and most often begins in early to mid adolescence.

It is important to note that this is not an exhaustive list of symptoms and people who do not have all of the symptoms below may still be struggling with anorexia nervosa. Also, these signs and symptoms are not always specific to anorexia and may reflect other conditions.

Physical Symptoms

Anorexia nervosa is quite literally self-starvation. The physical symptoms are a result of the body being denied essential nutrients, as the body is forced to conserve its resources in an effort to survive. Many of these physical symptoms are symptoms of extremely serious cases of anorexia nervosa. They can also be symptoms of other medical conditions so it is important to be assessed by a physician to determine a correct diagnosis and seek treatment.

loss of menstrual period in females post-puberty
    sensitivity to cold
    pale, dry skin
    dry and thinning hair
    brittle nails
    lightheadedness or loss of balance (may experience fainting)
    downy hair all over the body (called lanugo), which is the body's effort to conserve heat
    low blood pressure and heart rate
    bruises easily
    extreme weight loss
    muscle loss and weakness
    extreme dehydration
    brittle bones (osteoporosis)

Behavioral Symptoms

These are signs that are often noticed outwardly by family members and friends of someone who is struggling with anorexia nervosa. They may be noticed somewhat earlier than some of the physical symptoms.

talks or thinks about food, weight, calories, and dieting so much it gets in the way of regular conversation
    desperate to exercise even when inappropriate, such as running in inclement weather or missing other commitments in order to exercise
    talks about fears of gaining weight or being fat even when losing weight
    refusal to eat certain foods or entire groups of foods (such as carbohydrates or desserts)
    strange eating habits or food rituals, such as an insistence on using specific utensils
    eating unusual or odd food combinations
    cooks for others, but refuses to eat what is cooked
    may seem obsessed with cooking, cookbooks, cooking shows on television or other food related topics
    insistence on wearing cold-weather clothing, even when it is warm outside
    withdrawal from friends and family
    may go to great lengths to avoid eating, such as making up excuses about not joining the family for a meal or stating that they have already eaten
    sudden and extreme changes, such as becoming a vegetarian or refusing to eat non-organic foods, even when that is all that is available
    denial of hunger
    extreme perfectionism
    may hide foods in order to avoid eating them

Emotional Symptoms

Some of these symptoms might be more difficult for someone on the outside to recognize. However, many family members and close friends would be able to assess that their loved one is experiencing some or all of these warning signs.

determines self-esteem, worth, or attractiveness by appearance and weight
    depression
    strong need for approval
    anxiety
    little motivation to engage in relationships or activities
    easily irritated
    extremely self-critical

http://eatingdisorders.about.com/od/Symptoms_and_warning_Signs/a/Symptoms-And-Warning-Signs-Of-Anorexia-Nervosa.htm

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/anorexia-nervosa/complications-of-anorexia.html

http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/related-illnesses/other-related-conditions/body-dysmorphic-disorder-bdd

OP seek professional help for your own sake and well being.
  • oookb
    oookb Posts: 1
    Options
    The most dangerous effect of anorexia is cardiac damage and possible cardiac failure if not treated. Because of the malnutrition, the heart muscle is not getting enough fuel to work properly. Something you can check at home is your pulse. I'd suggest seeking medical attention if it's 50 beats per minute or below. It's important to get an EKG, other labs done, and to get the help you need.
  • Swivet
    Options
    I would be a hypocrite to tell you what to do or what is going on with you. I will say from my own experience with anorexia (20 years and counting) speaking to a therapist may be a huge benefit. I have also found that when I do not obsessively log my food and exercise I tend to eat more, have more energy and feel a little less emotional. I have zero control over anyone or anything SO I control what goes in and out of my body - it is all about control for me, my disorder is my best friend. I do hope that you get you figured out, be well and be healthy and as my husband would say "eat a cracker".
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I would be a hypocrite to tell you what to do or what is going on with you. I will say from my own experience with anorexia (20 years and counting) speaking to a therapist may be a huge benefit. I have also found that when I do not obsessively log my food and exercise I tend to eat more, have more energy and feel a little less emotional. I have zero control over anyone or anything SO I control what goes in and out of my body - it is all about control for me, my disorder is my best friend. I do hope that you get you figured out, be well and be healthy and as my husband would say "eat a cracker".

I was more of a binge on the weekends, eat next to nothing through the week person. I ended up with amenorrhea and extremely low body fat and was suffering from malnutrition. It was a totally unhealthy place to be. I have to log everything I eat in order to know when to stop, rather than not logging to keep from eating too little. I can't tell you if you are anorexic or have any eating disorder, but if you think you do, get help. It could save your life