increasing flexibility

Options
Hello,

I am looking for a way to increase my flexibility since I have zero pretty much. I heard that yoga is really good for helping with that I was just looking for suggestions on where to start in yoga because my friend told me to try his copy of the p90x yoga and I could barley do 20 minutes of it before my arms gave out lol. I am looking for a site or program or a good video that you know of.

Thank you

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I take Yin Yoga, which is based on surrender into the stretch. You hold the poses for a long time (5 or more minutes). It has done wonders for my flexibility. I take a class, so sorry that I cannot recommend a video, but thought this might help as you research. Good luck!
  • skindigo
    skindigo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yoga is AWESOME! I started by going to some basic yoga classes at a local studio. Once I learned the basics I tried several different types of yoga and my favorite is Vinyasa.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of yoga and pilates for flexibility. My blue ray player has a Tara Stiles channel with a bunch of short (7-10 minute) sessions that you can do for a quick workout, or string together for a longer workout. I have a few Windsor pilates DVDs that I love, too.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What kind of flexibility? What is your end goal?

Flexibility for the sake of it is pointless, and although if you're hypomobile, increasing flexibility up to a point can help resist injury and increase performance, beyond this point, you end up risking being hypermobile and increasing the risk of injury, and reducing performance.

Keeping the above in mind, flexibility is related to the task at hand, a runner, a ballerina, a cyclist and a weightlifter, and a person who does no athletic endeavour will all have different flexibility demands, and so will have different approaches.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would look up Sun Salutation to begin with; it's an excellent starter sequence. Netflix and YouTube will have tons of options for you.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    try some tara stiles videos

I love that chicks Youtube videos!!
    Best yoga videos by far for me!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TaraStilesYoga
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try hatha yoga :) it's super relaxing and it helped me with my flexibility. That P90X yoga is so hard it's not for beginners I cant last more than 20mins too lol
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Take the time to stretch properly at the end of every workout, or most days (make sure your muscles are warm). Stretch for 20-30 seconds, take a deep breath, and as you exhale push further. You should feel mild discomfort, but not pain as such. Do this a couple of times for each muscle. It takes patience but you'll see improvements over time.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try hatha yoga :) it's super relaxing and it helped me with my flexibility. It's easy too! That P90X yoga is so hard it's not for beginners I cant last more than 20mins too lol