Is this going to screw me over?

Options
So I just had three wisdom teeth out today, and MFP is freaking out like crazy because I only ate 300 calories today. I'm still not really hungry and I can't envisage that changing, and even so, my jaw is so stiff and sore that I don't think I'll be eating much anyway - I'm going to be lucky to scrape 1000 cals a day, let alone hit 1200.

Will eating this little for a while and then going back to normal mess with my weight loss? Or does my body know I'm "sick" and react accordingly?

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Short term, it will have no negative effects.

Try and fill up on things you don't have to chew, like soup. That should help get your calories up.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options

^

I got all my wisdom teeth out at once and couldn't eat proper food for almost 3 weeks due do issues with the wounds.
    I made sure to drink plenty of juice and chocolate pudding was my best friend.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine don't worry. It won't affect your weightloss. Get well soon :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Two words: Ice Cream ;)

Seriously, though, I had dental surgery many years ago and felt the same, and I did eat a lot of chicken broth and chocolate ice cream. Just focus on healing, put weightloss aside for now. You will be back on track before you know it!
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Save up the calories and have a few treats at the end to balance out.?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Try and fill up on things you don't have to chew, like soup. That should help get your calories up.

^^^^ this. a few days of eating only 300 cals when you're ill or recovering from injury/surgery won't hurt. Just don't make a habit of it.

just eat what you can. I wouldn't even track in your position, not until I'm able to eat a vaguely normal diet again. It's what you do in your normal, regular days that makes or breaks you. What happens when you're sick, injured or on special occasions like parties, doesn't make a difference, so long as you're back to hitting your calorie goals when those things are over (chronic illnesses are differentm you have to learn to work around those as they affect your day to day life)

I had a severe jaw infection from an impacted wisdom tooth (it has to be removed but my husband's still checking the insurance regarding that) - I ate soup and smoothies made from protein powder, laban (Arabic dairy product) and frozen fruit. I wasn't tracking to know how many calories I was eating.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I ended up being fairly sick for a few days last week and barely ate. I lost a bunch of weight really fast, like 5 lbs, and I've been slowly putting it back on. Totally normal, don't freak out when you start eating again and your weight goes back up for a few days.
  • fat2fit72014
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is a website & an app. It isnt an actual person. When you get sick or wisdom teeth removed it doesnt understand that. In the short term dont worry about what it says. Eat soft foods. Enjoy some milkshakes! You will be back to making it happy in a week or so.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    Try the GOMAD diet? (Gallon of milk a day)

The protein in milk will help you feel fuller :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ this. a few days of eating only 300 cals when you're ill or recovering from injury/surgery won't hurt. Just don't make a habit of it

Haha no chance of that. I love food so much that even trying to keep to MFP on a regular day is hard enough. (Which is probably why I'm where I am in the first place!)
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Don't let MFP freak you out. People worry way too much about what the MFP calculator has to say and forget that it's just a calculator and we're only human.

You'll be fine! It's not going to mess anything up short term. Do what you can and recover. :)
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    pumpkin pie smoothie