Bike Riding Question for other riders

Options
I've been riding my bicycle for exercise for a while now, but it is hard to accurately count my burn.
The trail I ride is about 8 miles and I ride it in 45 min or less, so I know that my speed is 10 mph.
I record this using MFPs 10-12 mph option.

My bike is a regular one speed (my peddling). My husband as a multi-speed bike and we both agree that I work a lot harder when we ride because I have to peddle constantly.

I assume that MFP biking calories burned option is for multi-speed bikes because that is what any sane person would be using to exercise.

How would I be able to tell how many calories I'm actually burning? Or should I just assume it is more than what MFP option says but still record it using that option?

(I really like to keep accurate record of what I'm burning.)

Replies

• Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump - Hoping to hear from other people who ride bikes for exercise.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking things... and/or trying to be too "accurate". Just make a reasonable estimation (say, 7 cals per minute) and go on with your day.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    or.....invest in something along the lines of a Garmin Forerunner. It can track distance, pace, heart rate and give you a fairly reasonable estimate of calories expended (assuming you've entered your particulars)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Get the STRAVA app for your Phone, and find out the true value of your ride. MFP gives me double what i really burn (take from Strava and HRM result)
  • jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner with Heart Rate Monitor is your best way to measure accurately.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor. They really help.
  • AronKishore
    Options
    Get the STRAVA

I concur with this. I'm a biking fan myself, and I would highly recommend getting this app.
    measure your distance traveled, and at the end it gives you your average mph, and also the time. Add these numbers onto fitnesspal, and woop wopp you have the number.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. I believe that the reading from my Polar FT7 is much more accurate than the MFP database, although I don't believe that any affordable method is 100% accurate.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    What Jackson said. I think the difference in calories being burned is so minuscule and wouldn't make that much of a difference. If you are really concerned and want to be that accurate buy a HRM.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    or.....invest in something along the lines of a Garmin Forerunner. It can track distance, pace, heart rate and give you a fairly reasonable estimate of calories expended (assuming you've entered your particulars)

Yep, especially one which comes bundled with a HRM strap.

I don't track calorie burn myself but this will probably get you the best approximation as you can enter your personal data in as well.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I've been riding my bicycle for exercise for a while now, but it is hard to accurately count my burn.
    The trail I ride is about 8 miles and I ride it in 45 min or less, so I know that my speed is 10 mph.
    I record this using MFPs 10-12 mph option.

My bike is a regular one speed (my peddling). My husband as a multi-speed bike and we both agree that I work a lot harder when we ride because I have to peddle constantly.

I assume that MFP biking calories burned option is for multi-speed bikes because that is what any sane person would be using to exercise.

How would I be able to tell how many calories I'm actually burning? Or should I just assume it is more than what MFP option says but still record it using that option?

(I really like to keep accurate record of what I'm burning.)

I found out after a few months on here that the bike numbers on the MFP database are about twice as much as you actually burn. It was giving me about 600 cals per hour and my hubby questioned that number and suggested I get a Heart Rate Monitor. Sure enough, the HRM only gave me around 300 an hour for the 10mph ride.

Sorry.

If I am riding outside on hills, and keep my HR in the 140s or higher, then I can burn around 400 tops. And I started at 228.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride my fixie from time to time. It is definitely harder so I agree on that point. You would definitely need a heart rate monitor to accurately measure (or about as accurate as you are gonna get anyway). Like someone said, around 7 cals a minute is a good estimation. MFP overcalculates a ton on bike riding.
  • Happymelz
    Options

I found out after a few months on here that the bike numbers on the MFP database are about twice as much as you actually burn. It was giving me about 600 cals per hour and my hubby questioned that number and suggested I get a Heart Rate Monitor. Sure enough, the HRM only gave me around 300 an hour for the 10mph ride.

Sorry.

If I am riding outside on hills, and keep my HR in the 140s or higher, then I can burn around 400 tops. And I started at 228.

It is so weird though...because I've steadily used the MFP database AND eating back the calories most of the time...and I"ve lost about 1 lb per week on average.

I guess...I just need to keep doing what I'm doing and if it stops working...change it up.

Putting HRM on Christmas list now.

Thanks everyone!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise here but looking at the 10mph option, it sounds like it's assumed to be road riding but you mentioned 'trail'. Is it a rough trail? I think mountain biking is a lot harder and burns more, so keep that in mind if you keep relying on the database estimates here. Though it sounds like MFP overestimates anyway so probably a moot point.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would say go with what MFP says. I find the cycling option overestimates by 10 to 20% for me (according to my HRM) so that's probably about right for your extra effort.
  • Happymelz
    Options
    I would say go with what MFP says. I find the cycling option overestimates by 10 to 20% for me (according to my HRM) so that's probably about right for your extra effort.

Thank you! That is what I was thinking...but wasn't 100% sure since I don't have a HRM yet.