Should I eat my exercise calories back?

Options
Kinda confused, when i add an exercise calorie intake goes higher, should I follow that or follow the 1200 before I added the exercise?

Replies

• jzwilliams23
    Options
    generally you could eat back ur excereise calories. I try to eat only half of mines b. c I find that if I eat all of them i wont lose as much weight .
  • lmintek
    lmintek Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just asked the same question right below your post. look down 1 lol
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to eat back some of those calories! I found I lost weight much better when I did so. If I worked out and, say, burned like 700 calories... and then only ate 1500, I was so unbelievably tired and just doneeee. But I'm sure people will post much more technical and helpful things that I do lol! But yes, I believe you should!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Depends on your settings.

Did you set MFP to include your activity (i.e, lightly active, moderately active, etc)? If so, then the exercise is already included.

If however you chose to set it as sedentary and then add your exercise, then yes, you need to eat it back, as MFP has already factored in a deficit for you. I'd recommend eating half back though, as this website can overestimate exercise calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In most cases, the correct answer is "it depends." But considering you're at 1200 cals, the right answer is probably "Yes, eat them back."
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links to previous threads! HAHA and it's so weird that we asked the same question lol :laugh: lmintek
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Thank you for the links to previous threads! HAHA and it's so weird that we asked the same question lol :laugh: lmintek

it's actually not weird. This question gets asked about 5 times daily.
  • matugz
    Options
    I dnt thnk your supose 2 eat them back coz generally u sapose 2 burn more calories than u consume so if u eat them back you will be eating more than you burn
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I dnt thnk your supose 2 eat them back coz generally u sapose 2 burn more calories than u consume so if u eat them back you will be eating more than you burn

If you are following MFP's plan - then this is wrong. Your deficit is built into the number that MFP gives you for calories. Generally, following this plan, if you DON'T eat them back you are creating a very large deficit.
  • lauraspberry
    Options

Because it's really confusing haha. I guess I wont eat it all to be sure :happy:
  • skinnymeinthere
    skinnymeinthere Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back and I wish MFP did not add the exercise calories in. What I do, is I QUICK ADD a food. like if I exercised 793 calories, then I put a food in for 793, to subtract those calories again.
  • lauraspberry
    Options

If you are following MFP's plan - then this is wrong. Your deficit is built into the number that MFP gives you for calories. Generally, following this plan, if you DON'T eat them back you are creating a very large deficit.

I will believe you because you look great :flowerforyou: congratulations on your progress! I'm so happy for you
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I will believe you because you look great :flowerforyou: congratulations on your progress! I'm so happy for you

Thank you. It's taking forever - but worth it! Eat your exercise calories, but invest in an HRM or some way to measure what your body is burning. It's worth the money.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    As long as your are Netting higher then your BMR and lower then your TDEE it doesn't matter if you do or don't eat back the calories. Just stay between those two numbers and you will lose weight in a healthy mannor.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    As long as your are Netting higher then your BMR and lower then your TDEE it doesn't matter if you do or don't eat back the calories. Just stay between those two numbers and you will lose weight in a healthy mannor.

THANK YOU! :flowerforyou: now things are more clearer for me :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back and I wish MFP did not add the exercise calories in. What I do, is I QUICK ADD a food. like if I exercised 793 calories, then I put a food in for 793, to subtract those calories again.

Why? That's how the website is designed. You're doing TDEE not MFP.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Because it's really confusing haha. I guess I wont eat it all to be sure :happy:

Good luck with the starvation then.
  • lauraspberry
    Options

Good luck with the starvation then.

No, what i meant was I wont eat all of it lol but I'll eat like 3/4 of it