why do people say coconut oil is bad for you?

Options
So, i have about 1 tbs is coconut oil in my coffee every morning. Now, i keep hearing / reading people say it’s not that good for you since it is high in fat. Coconut oil is made of MCFA (medium chain fatty acid) therefore instead of the fat being stored, it is used immediately. So why are people saying its bad for you, am i missing something? if there is something im missing i would like to know, i don't want to be eating something that is bad for me. Im open to learning new things, so please no rude answers calling me an idiot ( i have seen it on here) im asking a question, not saying i am right.

i know some kinds are not the best for you, i eat Artisana's extra virgin 100% raw coconut oil

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,006 Member
    Options
    Ironically I hear the opposite.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    What people?
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What people?

People online. When i was researching it i found a lot of good and bad things about it so i wasn’t' sure. i like to get answers from a lot of different places. i don't just trust one person or website and assume they are right. so i wanted more opinions about it.
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    I've never heard this.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I eat it almost every day. It's a great source of good fats. It's high in saturated fats which is why people say it is bad for you, but they don't realize that some forms of saturated fats are good for you.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert either, but I generally avoid saturated fats. I use coconut oil sometimes to replace butter (which is already saturated) but generally I go for liquid oils when I can.

I have seen some references to studies on the benefits of coconut oil but I am not convinced yet. Some of it looks promising but I still worry about the saturated fat. I may change my mind in future but for now I am not sure the benefits outweigh the risks, as I currently understand them (and my understanding is far from complete)
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    What people?

People online.

That's why. It's the internet.
  • Julene64
    Julene64 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Organic virgin cold pressed coconut oil is one of the most healthful fats you can eat. One of its many benefits is it can actually increase your metabolism. Tropicaltraditions.com has a lot of info on their website about the benefits of coconut oil. In no way is it an unhealthy fat. :)
  • randomtai
    Options
    What people?

People online.

dont-believe-everything-you-see-on-the-internet.jpeg
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Weird. I've always heard the exact opposite, that it's better for you.
  • jbc43221
    jbc43221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bonjour
  • oroblar
    oroblar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is really good for you. My wife uses it for so many different things. We cook with it, use it as a stomach soother, moisturizer, etc. The stuff is great as long as you are getting the natural stuff. I strongly suggest doing a quick search for all the uses and take advantage of it.
  • samco66
    Options
    What people?

People online.

dont-believe-everything-you-see-on-the-internet.jpeg

and THATS why i am asking. Not everyone thinks coconnut oil is healthy enough to eat, thats why i am asking this.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I've only heard that it is good fat, and good for you. I have never heard that it wasn't. So, I don't know.

When you do research on something like this, use credible sources, not what someone says on yahoo chat forums.

So, here's some very interesting information...this is why I love science over just people blabbing: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

This.
  • samco66
    Options
    I've only heard that it is good fat, and good for you. I have never heard that it wasn't. So, I don't know.

When you do research on something like this, use credible sources, not what someone says on yahoo chat forums.

So, here's some very interesting information...this is why I love science over just people blabbing: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

thanks for the info!!! :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Diets high in saturated fats are associated with an increase in heart disease. Coconut oil is a saturated fat, and I'm not sure we're at a point yet where we can say with certainty that coconut oil is somehow, a healthy saturated fat. Plus, Dr Oz likes it, so I tend to be more skeptical of it.

I wouldn't stress too much about eating though. There are plenty worse foods...like trans-fat.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,006 Member
    Options
    Diets high in saturated fats are associated with an increase in heart disease. Coconut oil is a saturated fat, and I'm not sure we're at a point yet where we can say with certainty that coconut oil is somehow, a healthy saturated fat. Plus, Dr Oz likes it, so I tend to be more skeptical of it.

I wouldn't stress too much about eating though. There are plenty worse foods...like trans-fat.
    Possibly look at data that isn't biased and a half century old.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Domestic seed oil lobby.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I never heard of anyone claiming it to be unhealthy. coconut oil is an MCT that has a higher thermogenic effect than normal fat. Only 7cals per gram vs the normal 9g per gram. It has a higher mobilization than normal fat.
    I'm not an expert either, but I generally avoid saturated fats. I use coconut oil sometimes to replace butter (which is already saturated) but generally I go for liquid oils when I can.

I have seen some references to studies on the benefits of coconut oil but I am not convinced yet. Some of it looks promising but I still worry about the saturated fat. I may change my mind in future but for now I am not sure the benefits outweigh the risks, as I currently understand them (and my understanding is far from complete)
    Read this article to the re-analysis of saturated fat study.
    http://group.bmj.com/group/media/latest-news/study-raises-questions-about-dietary-fats-and-heart-disease-guidance