Excercise

Options
Soi have a question, Maybe a bit odd but here it goes. I tend to not have a lot of time to hit the gym. I am currently calorie counting at about 1700 ( i think ) a day. Is it possible to lose weight without working out or not working out a lot. I may park at the end of the lot at work and walk a but further so im getting some excercise doing various things throug out the day. But i feel like calorie counting without a lot of excerise might be a bit far fetched.. Do you excerise or not. IF so how often?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. 90% of your weight loss will come from you diet. If you exercise you're less likely to have saggy skin and your overall health will probably be better plus exercise will help you preserve lean muscle mass.

You don't have to go to the gym to exercise. Walking is great and there are tons of DVD's that you can do at home. 20 minutes a day can make a big difference.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you dont have to exercise to lose weight, you just need a calorie deficit... but exercise has many health benefits, so doing some is a good idea!

as the saying goes... diet to look good in clothes, work out to look good naked!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to exercise but just try to walk as much as you can. Every little really DOES help! Good luck.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    What everyone else says about calorie deficit being how you lose weight TRUE!! :smile:
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Soi have a question, Maybe a bit odd but here it goes. I tend to not have a lot of time to hit the gym. I am currently calorie counting at about 1700 ( i think ) a day. Is it possible to lose weight without working out or not working out a lot. I may park at the end of the lot at work and walk a but further so im getting some excercise doing various things throug out the day. But i feel like calorie counting without a lot of excerise might be a bit far fetched.. Do you excerise or not. IF so how often?

I workout every day at the comfort of my home :) I find it impossible to lose a significant amount of weight without exercise :(
  • Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home helped me lose 20 lbs when I couldn't get out much, and it's available on YouTube for free, instant access anywhere.

That being said, no, you don't *have* to work out, I lost my first 5 lbs just cutting out snacking at work! You can do it!
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, doing 1-2 mile walks a day (3MPH) and also keeping the calories under 1,500 a day. Really, you don't need a gym membership to lose weight. Walk walk walk! It makes such a difference! If you can do some dance workouts too, like Zumba or any sort of dancing, that helps as well! But ultimately, as others have said, it's the calorie deficit that really does it.
  • jzwilliams23
    Options
    thanks you guys. I have added more walking and playing just dance with the kids. i do agree that i should excercise so that i wont have the saggy lose skin. Anyone know of any great intense 10-15 min workouts. I try jogging in place while at my desk at work, or running up and down the stairs at home (pretending to do laundry). but i feel like i need somethings thats going to be intense enough to make a diffrence.
  • jzwilliams23
    Options
    thanks manarell i think im going to look that up and do something from home. i didnt even think of youtube. Heck i learned how to fix a garbage disposal why didnt i think to look up workouts. lol
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 85 pounds with limited exercise, I was too heavy to do alot of exercises but I did walk almost all over town, people began to call me the walking man I walked to the post office grocery store CVS etc. and lost weight counting calories as I began to get lighter and more fit from walking I increased my daily exercises to exercise bike and eventually jogging to running. I got great benefit from walking BP dropped resting heart rate dropped and Chol. numbers came down as well.
    So walk walk walk as much as you can and you will see results as long as you do still mind your calories every day
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    thanks you guys. I have added more walking and playing just dance with the kids. i do agree that i should excercise so that i wont have the saggy lose skin. Anyone know of any great intense 10-15 min workouts. I try jogging in place while at my desk at work, or running up and down the stairs at home (pretending to do laundry). but i feel like i need somethings thats going to be intense enough to make a diffrence.

I know a 25 min workout if you have time for it :) I'm doing Focus T25 and they have modified moves that are low impact :D I'm not a BB coach don't worry I'm just a fan of beachbody workouts :)
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    I lost the first 85 pounds with limited exercise, I was too heavy to do alot of exercises but I did walk almost all over town, people began to call me the walking man I walked to the post office grocery store CVS etc. and lost weight counting calories as I began to get lighter and more fit from walking I increased my daily exercises to exercise bike and eventually jogging to running. I got great benefit from walking BP dropped resting heart rate dropped and Chol. numbers came down as well.
    So walk walk walk as much as you can and you will see results as long as you do still mind your calories every day

I enjoyed your story :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I do one zumba class a week and everything else is DVDs or Wii Zumba at home. I try to do a 25 min in the morning and a bit longer in the evening most days.

Even more improtant though itd being accurate about your calories - if you THINK you're on 1700 then you could well be on a lot mroe! Invest in a food scale - cereal and pasta in particular are high in calories and hard to judge portion sizes. And log everything - don't think "I walked from the other end of the car park so I can have this chocolate without logging it" because I bet you the chocolate is more calories than you're burning!:tongue: