Do I log walking?

Options
Hey, just wondering if I'm supposed to log walking or if the 10,000 steps (about 320 kcal) we're supposed to walk everyday is included in my guideline calories?

Replies

• pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No they are not included. If you entered sedentary for your level of activity, you need to add any exercise you do. If you only do a few short walks, it is not really worth logging them, but over 20 mins - yes!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Log walking if you do it intentionally for exercise. Like put on your running shoes and head out the door for a brisk 30 minutes. If it's general daily walking, stopping and starting at a slow pace then that's just part of your day.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I do.

I have set up my account so that the amount of calories I need to eat per day are when I am doing absolutely nothing, so when I log in exercise it will increase the amount of calories I need to eat for that particular day.

helps me since I have days I just lift weights and days I do more cardio heavy workouts
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I log them - I have a pedometer I carry every day - from morning til I go to bed. Tells me # of steps, distance and cals burned (of course it's just guestimating lol)... but I still use it as my TDEE is only 1-3 days /wk of working out and all the walking I do for work, etc is 'extra' as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind though - i DON'T eat back any burned cals.
  • FahadNaseem
    FahadNaseem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do.
  • libearyladylewis
    Options
    I do! I have the Runtastic Pedometer app on my smart phone. When I head out for a walk I track my Time/Distance/Steps and it automatically downloads the calories burned to myfitnesspal.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YES!!! OF COURSE!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Log walking if you do it intentionally for exercise. Like put on your running shoes and head out the door for a brisk 30 minutes. If it's general daily walking, stopping and starting at a slow pace then that's just part of your day.

This is my take on it.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    When I joined MFP I used to log my walk to work and back, which is about 15-20 minutes each way, but I soon realised I was just kidding myself for the extra calories.

I log a walk if I've gone out of my way to do that walk, but not that of my daily routine.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options

^This!
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is the nice thing about having a Fitbit, I don't have to think about what to log. I have MFP set to lightly active so I get credit from fitbit for anything over say 5,000 steps or so.