why do people say coconut oil is bad for you?

Options

Replies

• AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Diets high in saturated fats are associated with an increase in heart disease. Coconut oil is a saturated fat, and I'm not sure we're at a point yet where we can say with certainty that coconut oil is somehow, a healthy saturated fat. Plus, Dr Oz likes it, so I tend to be more skeptical of it.

I wouldn't stress too much about eating though. There are plenty worse foods...like trans-fat.

You might not be able to say it with confidence, but the scientists can.
  • ljw5021
    ljw5021 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them - coconut oil is a superfood.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Diets high in saturated fats are associated with an increase in heart disease. Coconut oil is a saturated fat, and I'm not sure we're at a point yet where we can say with certainty that coconut oil is somehow, a healthy saturated fat. Plus, Dr Oz likes it, so I tend to be more skeptical of it.

I wouldn't stress too much about eating though. There are plenty worse foods...like trans-fat.
    There is no evidence that saturated fat is associated with heart disease
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I've only heard that it is good fat, and good for you. I have never heard that it wasn't. So, I don't know.

When you do research on something like this, use credible sources, not what someone says on yahoo chat forums.

So, here's some very interesting information...this is why I love science over just people blabbing: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

I read that article and it didn't seem to me to unequivocally support coconut oil at all. How do you use this link to justify that "science" says coconut oil is good and anyone who disagrees is just "people blabbing"

Directly from the article:

"Coconut oil, according to recent reports, is the latest food cure-all. Claims abound that coconut oil is a health food that can cure everything from poor immune function, thyroid disease, and heart disease, to obesity, cancer, and HIV.

So should you stock up on coconut oil? Not so fast.

The evidence that coconut oil is super-healthful is not convincing and these claims appear to be more testimonials than clinical evidence.

There is very limited evidence on disease outcomes, says Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, DrPH, of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health. "All that has been studied well is the impact of coconut oil on cholesterol levels and the findings are intriguing but we still don't know if it is harmful or beneficial," Mozaffarian says.

Neither the American Heart Association (AHA) nor the U.S. government's 2010 Dietary Guidelines suggest that coconut oil is any better or preferable over other saturated fats. Coconut oil, like all saturated fats, should be limited to 7%-10% of calories because it can increase risk for heart disease, according to the AHA and 2010 Dietary Guidelines."

and

""Coconut oil is better than butter and trans fats but not as good as liquid vegetable oils," says Penn State University cardiovascular nutrition researcher Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD.

Mozaffarian agrees that coconut oil is better than partially hydrogenated trans fats and possibly animal fats.

"But even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil," says Kris-Etherton, a member of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee and Institute of Medicine's panel on dietary reference intakes for macronutrients (which include fats).

So the AHA is just blabbing on the internet?

BTW I'm not necessarily arguing against your position on coconut oil, just your logic. "Science" is far from decided on this. Maybe it will turn out to be a superfood, but the debate is far from settled.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil. I have only heard of the benefits. I use it now instead of butter. As with anything, it's moderation. Spreading two inches of it onto your biscuit probably isn't going to be good for you. I measure mine out carefully. Enjoy it- it's yummy and fabulous!
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I use it for the opposite, I use it for all of the benefits. There may be 1 or 2 bad effects, but skrew it and use it for the other 50 plus positive benefits!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Considering how far we've come technologically, it's amazing what we don't know about nutrition. Unfortunately, like with many foods, you have people saying it will kill you and people saying it will save your life. The truth is doubtless somewhere in between but I really think for a lot of things we just don't know. 1 T a day doesn't seem like too much so if you feel good and your bloodwork is good, I see no reason to stop using it.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wait, that study is saying canola oil is good for you? O_o

Seriously, as with everything, take with a grain of salt. All things in moderation (fats included. Seriously. They're not the enemy). There will always be people trying to prove opposites all over the place. If it works for you and you're not getting any adverse effects, I really don't see why a study would change your point of view.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    What I want to know is, does it taste good in your coffee?

My mom uses it, but to be fair, she jumps on most bandwagons.

People have been eating coconut and it's oil forever, so I'm going to assume it is not harmful in regular doses at least :) I have not looked into the research personally.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I've only heard that it is good fat, and good for you. I have never heard that it wasn't. So, I don't know.

When you do research on something like this, use credible sources, not what someone says on yahoo chat forums.

So, here's some very interesting information...this is why I love science over just people blabbing: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/coconut-oil-and-health

+1

"Enjoy coconut oil if it is your preference but do so in moderation until further research indicates it is better than other saturated fats."
  • lorivega
    lorivega Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. I say if you like it and you aren't over doing it then keep using it for your coffee. I have yet to try cooking with coconut oil but I've been curious to see how it would tastebecause I don't like using butter.
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is, does it taste good in your coffee?

My mom uses it, but to be fair, she jumps on most bandwagons.

People have been eating coconut and it's oil forever, so I'm going to assume it is not harmful in regular doses at least :) I have not looked into the research personally.

i can barley taste it in my coffee, i drink plain balck coffee and i like the slight taste it does give
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options

I read that article and it didn't seem to me to unequivocally support coconut oil at all. How do you use this link to justify that "science" says coconut oil is good and anyone who disagrees is just "people blabbing"

"Coconut oil, according to recent reports, is the latest food cure-all. Claims abound that coconut oil is a health food that can cure everything from poor immune function, thyroid disease, and heart disease, to obesity, cancer, and HIV.

The evidence that coconut oil is super-healthful is not convincing and these claims appear to be more testimonials than clinical evidence.

There is very limited evidence on disease outcomes, says Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, DrPH, of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health. "All that has been studied well is the impact of coconut oil on cholesterol levels and the findings are intriguing but we still don't know if it is harmful or beneficial," Mozaffarian says.

Neither the American Heart Association (AHA) nor the U.S. government's 2010 Dietary Guidelines suggest that coconut oil is any better or preferable over other saturated fats. Coconut oil, like all saturated fats, should be limited to 7%-10% of calories because it can increase risk for heart disease, according to the AHA and 2010 Dietary Guidelines."

and

""Coconut oil is better than butter and trans fats but not as good as liquid vegetable oils," says Penn State University cardiovascular nutrition researcher Penny Kris-Etherton, PhD, RD.

Mozaffarian agrees that coconut oil is better than partially hydrogenated trans fats and possibly animal fats.

"But even though coconut oil is cholesterol-free, it is still a saturated fat that needs to be limited in the diet and if you are looking for real health benefits, switch from saturated fats to unsaturated fats by using vegetable oils like soybean, canola, corn, or olive oil," says Kris-Etherton, a member of the 2005 Dietary Guidelines advisory committee and Institute of Medicine's panel on dietary reference intakes for macronutrients (which include fats).

BTW I'm not necessarily arguing against your position on coconut oil, just your logic. "Science" is far from decided on this. Maybe it will turn out to be a superfood, but the debate is far from settled.
    The basic problem with these assertions is the basic belief that cholesterol and saturated fat is and has been a major factor in heart disease.....they basically use that as their cornerstone for their stance. Of course we would need to see the studies that they use as that cornerstone and show the direct causation that they belief to be true.......so far there aren't any studies that show causation.........unless you can direct us to some.
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's one of the better oils to cook with because it doesn't denature as easily due to its high heat threshold as compared to other oils such as olive, soy, corn, etc.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ironically I hear the opposite.

This ^^ Many MFP posts make it sound more necessary than bad. It is neither.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    So, i have about 1 tbs is coconut oil in my coffee every morning. Now, i keep hearing / reading people say it’s not that good for you since it is high in fat. Coconut oil is made of MCFA (medium chain fatty acid) therefore instead of the fat being stored, it is used immediately. So why are people saying its bad for you, am i missing something? if there is something im missing i would like to know, i don't want to be eating something that is bad for me. Im open to learning new things, so please no rude answers calling me an idiot ( i have seen it on here) im asking a question, not saying i am right.

i know some kinds are not the best for you, i eat Artisana's extra virgin 100% raw coconut oil

because they don't research and know the facts.
    extra virgin though is the way to go, there is a difference between extra virgin coconut oil and just regular.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    YoxPyMH.jpg

I have never heard anyone say this about coconut oil.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

and

You didn't read what I said. I said I rely on research. The first part was my opinion, the second part was science. The first page of the article states that they don't really know if it's healthy or not. They also go on to say that in general, liquid oils are better for you, as they understand right now.

So, it's inconclusive, for the most part. I would go with that over people's opinions.

Wow, I really didn't mean to upset you so much. Maybe I misunderstood your first post - you seemed to be implying that medical science was endorsing coconut oil and anyone who didn't agree was just an internet tin-hat who didn't know anything.

I sincerely apologize if I misread you. I wasn't trying to be snarky (though I admit I was a bit miffed by what I thought you meant, so I may have come off more aggressive than I intended to.) The funny thing is, I was actually trying to say what you just said - that the matter isn't settled, so people really can't say that science supports them, and disproves everyone else.

Again, sorry if it came off harsh.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    hey id carry on with the coconut oil.. its great for skin and hair too