How To Make Veggies Yummy

Options
I need a way to get more veggies into my diet. I'm really bad about eating them because I don't really like the way they taste.

So how do you guys get your veggies in? What are some good ones that go well with most things?

I've heard about people grilling and marinating them. Is that good?

I am trying to stay away from dressings and cheese cause if the high calorie counts.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Personally I love pretty much all vegetables and the different methods of cooking can enhance those flavors, so I'm not sure method will do much for someone that doesn't live veg. Generally speaking most people that don't like veg have never eaten many varieties or used many methods, so maybe expand you palate and find a few you do like and go from there.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash seasonings have so many different flavors and are salt-free. I use them every day on my veggies. I also find I prefer my veggies sauteed or pan-fried (without oil) with some of the seasonings, mmmm delicious. If you are trying to eat raw veggies, you could make a dip out of greek yogurt and different seasonings.
  • lbrown73
    lbrown73 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't like a lot of veggies, but here are a few things that work for me:

-Broccoli sautéed in olive oil & garlic
    -Raw carrot sticks dipped in Bolthouse Farms Ranch Dressing. This is a yogurt-based dressing that has WAY less calories and fat than regular ranch dressing.
    -Fresh green beans. These taste much better than canned green beans IMO. Add just a touch of parmesan cheese to give it some flavor if you need to.
    -Fresh sliced tomato. I eat entire tomatoes as a side dish to fish or chicken. Delicious.
    -Bell peppers, raw or sautéed.

I don't have access to an outside grill, as I live in an apartment. So I've had to find some other ways to make veggies delicious for my picky palate. Hope this helps!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If I am steaming them, I use chicken stock and garlic. I love baked zucchini with a little Parmesan on top. If I am sauteing veggies, I will throw in some sesame oil and soy sauce. There are a million ways to make veggies delicious. Otherwise I love raw veggies and ranch dressing.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Grilling or roasting brings out the sweetness in most veg. I also "doctor" mine different ways like: adding curry to roasted cauliflower or broccoli; making a light cheese sauce or just grating nice parm on asparagus. Green beans sauteed w/garlic, onion and mushrooms then top with almond slivers. Make a red wine or balsamic vinegar syrup and drizzle over any veg (buy the cheap stuff pour into a saucepan and let it simmer until it reduces into a thick syrup. This weekend I made a potato, turnip and sunchoke gratin - WOWWIE delish!! There is a delicious raw kale and avocado salad recipe floating around the net. Use raw veg for dipping into salsa, hummus (all kinds of yummy flavors abound) or baba ghanoush, which are in themselves all veggies so you get the double dose :love:
  • purplesky9
    purplesky9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    lately I have been making a lot of homemade soups, it's super easy broth, meat, as many vegetables as I can find in my fridge, add some herbs done. Then I have food for a week. Just make sure you watch the sodium on the broth....I just grabbed chicken broth without looking and its a bit crazy, I will have to make sure I get low sodium next time.
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much any vegetable sautéed in olive oil with some garlic and chilli is yummy...
    Just give it a go!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Just about any veggie I can think of tastes great sauteed in olive oil with garlic, salt and pepper. Simple and tastes great.
  • b_moseley1
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I'm gunna try the sautéing with a bit of olive oil and some Parmesan. I forgot about that cheese. A little bit if that goes a long way.

Thanks!
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I tried to look at your diary to see what kind of stuff you like.. the fact is you can do pretty much anything to beg and make it taste any way you like. Why don't you try slowly adding things? Make a point of adding one vegetable to each meal. Maybe some grilled tomatoes with your eggs? Or some peppers to your tortillas?

Once you start getting used to the idea of having vegetables you can do anything, make soups, curry them, make dips.

Just needs the motivation to start though.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking into oven roasting. That's my fave. I love it for cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, brussel spouts. Mmmmm.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like baking asparagus in olive oil, pepper and a light dusting of fresh grated aged Parmesan cheese. Usually leave those in the oven for about 10 minutes at 425. I also like to cook Brussels sprouts in a similar manner - cut the sprouts in half, then drizzle olive oil, pepper, lemon juice and a sprinkle of bread crumbs and bake for 20 minutes. The lemon juice cuts down on the cabbagey-ness of the Brussels sprouts. I'm real picky about my veggies and textures. So other than broccoli, green beans and "California medley" and a salad, those are pretty much it for me.