Anyone else experience this?

Options
Does anyone else ever feel embarrassed when they eat unhealthy foods in front of others? I ask because I was offered homemade pie but turned it down (I was the only one to do so) because I was embarrassed to eat it in front of a group of people I work with. I'm sure it was wonderful, they all said so. I just couldn't bring myself to do this act that is so emotionally loaded for me in front of others. Is it just me? Does it make it worse or more obvious to not eat with everyone else? Has anyone experienced any of this?

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nope.

BUT.

I don't share my diet with others or my weight loss - because that seems to put my decisions up for public scrutiny which I dislike.

I am rebellious by nature.

That's giving them power over you - you don't need to answer to anyone for your decisions with food - whether you choose to opt in or out.

BUT.

One day I passed on supercenter cupcakes at work - they didn't look good - they didn't interest me - and everyone literally stopped and looked at me. Rebellious side kicked in and I held my ground.

On other days I do eat the "forbidden" (as I consider nothing forbidden) - seems to keep them guessing.

Hope you can come to terms with it. I think it's a self conscious thing more than anything. They probably didn't care as much as you thought or they are just evil at which point you shouldn't care.
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Umm no... you shouldn't care what people think so much. If everyone else was eating it than what is the problem with you eating it too? sounds like insecurity.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'd be more embarrassed to turn down good pie.

Learn to enjoy food with friends. I'll analogize to booze. Drinking with friends in moderation? Okay. Drinking excessively by yourself? Warning signs.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced this.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Noway, I love the look of shock and awe as I grab the first slice of the pizza or hunk of cake because they all have seen me lose the weight but yet I refuse to go without the simple joys in life.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I'd be more embarrassed to turn down good pie.

Learn to enjoy food with friends. I'll analogize to booze. Drinking with friends in moderation? Okay. Drinking excessively by yourself? Warning signs.
    Perfect reply, pay heed OP.

You want to develop a healthy sustainable relationship with food and yourself.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't look at food as good or bad or healthy or unhealthy. If I like it and it fits within my intake and I want it, then it is fair game in my opinion. .... Best of Luck
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes! i'm trying to change now but in the past I would have felt like that was a no win situation. If I eat the treat I felt like people were judging me for poor decisions and self control. If I took it I felt they thought who is she trying to kid and she must be a secret eater. ARGH! Got to get out of your own head.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    No, I would actually be more embarrassed if people thought that I was restricting my food intake in front of them. I don't want to be one of those people who is weird and obsessive about food.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I have a great excuse for not indulging in sweets or alcohol like I used to . I tell everyone that these types of food cause hot flashes and I got so bad I could not sleep - partly true as I am in menopause. No one asks again!!!!
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i live in a community of active adults and we often have activities that include food, BBQ's , pot lucks, diner dances, wine tasting ...you get the picture. There are also about half the community that are "snow birds " being that I live in Arizona. When they come up to me and sat something like gosh you look great ( I still don't just better ) , how did you loose all the weight and still eat whatever, that I have on my plate. I just say I eat anything I want , food is not bad for you, only the portions are. Good Luck in your journey.
  • perfecttx
    Options
    YES! Even though I am a very active person and losing weight, I am still overweight. I know that I can still fit things like pie into my diet without feeling guilty, but I do. Generally I'm around people who are fit and skinny and I'm on the only one who "shouldn't" be eating it according to social standards, even though no one else knows what else I've done that day. It's a mental game I play with myself and I'm trying to overcome it. When going to parties, I plan my eating schedule to be able to enjoy things, but generally stick to the fruit and veggies, even if I still have the calories/macros available to fit in a good piece of dessert. It's something that I know I have to overcome by myself, so you aren't alone in it. Good luck.