I need opinions and view points!!!!!

Options
I am thinking of getting a gym membership, but everyone is telling me that people go to the gym for a couple months tops, and then stop going. So basically they lose their money, right? I really think a gym membership will help, but I am afraid that this will happen to me. What are your experiences with this? Are you gym goers consistent with going to the gym?

Replies

• samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    if i am paying for the gym membership i make it a point to go at least 4 days a week. i have been doing it now for months and i like it. Its cold where i live so i can't go outside to workout. As long as you stay committed and really want to change i think you will be fine. You have to WANT it.

:)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I really think you know yourself better than anyone and will have a much better idea of whether or not you'll stick with gym going.

I know that I would not go regularly and it would be a big waste. I can't motivate myself to wake super early for a workout even in my home or neighborhood so I definitely would not drive several miles to the nearest gym before work. Then if I did, I am certain I'd be annoyed by a couple of others there and start avoiding it in typical introvert mode. I am better with outdoor solo exercise during the evenings.

Do you have a gym in mind? Does it seem like a good fit for you? Does it offer specific equipment or activities that you can't or won't do on your own?

Do you have a lifestyle/schedule that will be conducive to a regular gym trip? Do you plan to go at a certain time/day? These things could help.

A lot of people really benefit from the gym, whether lifting or classes or just regularly exercising there. You know yourself. What do you think? If you have doubts, I'd wait awhile until you don't. If there's a trial workout or a friend could take you along once, maybe that would help make the decision a little easier. Good luck!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    The gym I go to you pay every month, and if you cancel your membership then you stop paying.
    When I joined a gym the cost motivates me to go. If I'm paying all this money each month I'm going to get my money's worth and get as much physical benefit from it as I can. I was going for 3+ hours a time, nearly every day at one point.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Do you already do any form of exercise? If so, you'll have a better idea of whether or not you'll want to sustain that.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure you'll stick with it then just try to find one that goes month to month with no contract. OR just exercise at home...?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting a gym membership, but everyone is telling me that people go to the gym for a couple months tops, and then stop going. So basically they lose their money, right? I really think a gym membership will help, but I am afraid that this will happen to me. What are your experiences with this? Are you gym goers consistent with going to the gym?

Obviously, some people sign up for a year, go once or twice then stop. But not everyone!

It really is up to you. Once you start going and make a habit of it, it gets easier. If you are at a point where you want this, then you'll make it happen.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I joined 3 yrs ago and figured I would have quit after 6 months. No, I love it. I love the group classes, Zumba, ripped, etc. Met a lot of people. My neighbor hated it. It just depends on you and what you like. I went this morning, will go back tonight because I like the class. I go 3-4 time a week.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It's very personal. I'm one of those people who paid for the membership because I thought that paying for it would make me go. It didn't. I wasn't really motivated to lose weight and get in shape at that time. I paid for my membership for about 8-9 months and only went a handful of times. Luckily, it was a month-to-month membership so I finally cancelled it.

When I did get motivated to work out and get in shape, I did much better working out at home. For me personally, I am limited on time and could not commit to the extra time it takes to drive to and from the gym, even though it's not that far. It added another 30 minutes or more to my time allotted for working out so I just didn't go. Now, by working out at home, if I just have 15 minutes to spare, I can spend that time lifting weights and then get on with my day.

But it's completely personal. Only you know whether you'd really be motivated and willing to put in the time.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Our biggest issue with our gym membership was not the fact that we did not want to go and exercise. It was that we were limited by specific hours. I'm one to want to work out at 12:00 AM. Or we come home from a game somewhere and its 9:00 at night and my husband and I have the house to ourselves and would rather hit the gym then go out but the gym wasn't open. I recommend find a gym that will work with your schedule too. We have a new gym opening in our town that is $10 a month and no contract that happens to be open 24 hours. This will work great until my husband and I can get out of our townhouse and into a bigger home so that we have the space for both a weight lifting we AND a treadmill.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to isn't your typical gym that is open to the public all hours of the day. It's open for personal training and/or group classes with the owners. There are no monthly fees. Instead, you purchase a punch card for $40 and have them punch it each time you show up for a class. It's obviously more expensive than the $10/month Planet Fitness stuff, but I like the personal attention, and I know I'm only getting charged for what I use, so it works out nicely.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've been paying and attending gyms for the last 4 years.

I don't NOT go.

I love the gym. it's like my second home.

So no- I wouldn't pay for it and not go. That's one reason I pay for it.

if you don't go then you waste money- but that's a decision a choice. It's up to you.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Well, along all the same lines, but a bit different....you really need to find a gym that you like as well. I have had memberships at gyms that sucked and I never went. I just thought that all gyms were the same. Once I found one that I really liked, it made it much easier to go.
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    You guys are so insightful! Thank you so much for your opinions. And you're right, I do know myself better so I should know if I'll stick to it.
  • DaWayne360
    DaWayne360 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My gym is month to month membership. So if I decided not to go I wouldn't be out much $ if I canceled my membership. That being said I've been going faithfully 5 days a week for almost two years now. The biggest thing that helps me go is it is really convenient to go to this gym before work every day. The one I was at before was out of the way and that made for an excuse not to go. Keep that in consideration when joining a gym.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It definately depends on you! I know I would have trouble "finding the time" and would likely not go often, and even if I did go I would most likely not use many of the machines. Instead I bought an elliptical and use it at home whenever I get the chance, even if it is only for a few minutes. It's right there so I can just hop on. My husband bought a weight set at a yard sale really cheap. We've definately gotten our money's worth and it ended up being cheaper than joining a gym anyway. You can find lots of equipment really cheap (or even free) on craigslist because so many people buy them and never use them.
  • Grammie4VT
    Grammie4VT Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Best decision I ever made was to join our gym! I go 5 days a week for different classes. I have been a member for 4 years and don't plan on giving it up. I am sure it depends on the gym, but I love ours!