Even High Tech business people can be morons

SHBoss1673
SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
edited September 22 in Chit-Chat
So occasionally I'll browse Dice.com or Monster.com to see what companies are looking for and if my dream job just somehow magically appears. Well, every now and again, you come across a job posting that you just have to shake your head about.

These are supposed to be things that people (either hiring managers or 3rd party recruiters) take some time and put effort into right? Like they don't just jot out the first thing they think of.

so I'm looking through SQL server DBA job openings and I come across one, read through it, sounds decent, I get down to the requirements and this is the first requirement.

8+ years experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and 2008 editions

Seems a little odd right? 8+ years experience for a technology that's only 5 years old. Worst part is, SQL 2005 came out in NOVEMBER of 2005, so you can't even count that year as a full year. You'd think someone would have looked this over and said, "Hold on a second".

This is the world we live in.

Replies

• kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    LOL you should send them a message telling them that.
  • DoctorLaura
    DoctorLaura Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks for the chuckle. I teach a class in Recruitment and Selection so I will be sure to use this as a "what not to do" example in class :laugh:
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Nice catch!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I also like the email addresses people use when they apply for jobs.... we've gotten some doozys :noway: :noway:. Really people, hit yahoo or hotmail or whatever and make a new address JUST for your resume. :tongue:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    It looks like someone did not think through their intent.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    LOL! Nice!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    That's a good one.

I wonder if anyone applied for the position. :laugh:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    My current favorite is a job requirement put to me by a recruiter. She told me her client was looking for a recent grad who had about 5 years experience doing Agile and TDD. :grumble: This is the world I live in.

On the bright side, after I pointed out that not many grads WERE going to have that kind of experience, I think she talked some sense into them. After doing some preliminary testing, I'm waiting to hear back about maybe going for an interview.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Maybe they forgot to include the specification that all applicants had to be capable of altering the time/space continuum!!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    My current favorite is a job requirement put to me by a recruiter. She told me her client was looking for a recent grad who had about 5 years experience doing Agile and TDD. :grumble: This is the world I live in.

On the bright side, after I pointed out that not many grads WERE going to have that kind of experience, I think she talked some sense into them. After doing some preliminary testing, I'm waiting to hear back about maybe going for an interview.

That one is a bit absurd as well, although at least that one is possible. There hasn't even BEEN 8+ years between SQL 2005's release and today, never mind the fact that I don't know any companies that would ever deploy a production environment on a technology that's been out less than a year. Especially one that was a complete engine rewrite like SQL 2K5 was. So the odds of anyone short of a Microsoft engineer having more than 5 years on SQL 2005 is pretty slim.
  • Cubetor
    Cubetor Posts: 19
    Do people still get jobs through monster?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    00020147.gif
  • SHBoss1673
    this was dice, but I would assume people still get jobs through monster, considering it's one of the largest job sites in the world.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I've gotten WAY more action from Career Builder and job fairs. Monster's been kinda disappointing. I think I get the "Hey, you wanna take a job on the other side of the state?" people from both sites. (Oh, and when you live in Texas, the other side of the state is a LOOOOONG ways away.)
This discussion has been closed.