Adding Exercise

Options
Do you "have" to eat all the calories you expended by doing exercise or can you leave exercise out of your diary and just do the calories you are generally allotted for the day?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you "have" to eat all the calories you expended by doing exercise or can you leave exercise out of your diary and just do the calories you are generally allotted for the day?

Your choice, If you don't eat them you will have a higher deficit than you originally set, so it may be an idea to back off your target weight loss rate if you aren't going to do the "eating back" thing.

Many people eat the same each day, calling it the "TDEE method" where they eat 10,15,20% less than their average calorie expenditure.
  • Llorry
    Llorry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much :) I just wanted to make sure I would not put myself in stop losing because I am not eating enough.... if I did not count the exercise. I do not have a ton to lose...about 23 pounds....and I am a para so I do dancing types of cardio and am going to add some weight training types of exercises as I go on.
    If it is not necessary to "eat the extra" then I won't but did not want it to hurt my metabolism later on
  • David482
    Options
    Exercise is very important to improve health and fitness. Go for running, walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. Practice push ups, bench press, chair squats, cable stretching and band resistance. It make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health and give you fit body.
  • Llorry
    Options
    I am doing exercise..I just do not want to add calories to my diet for the exercise unlessI will not be eating enough to lose.
    As I mentioned though..I am a paraplegic so my exercise right now is mostly dance type aerobics but thinking of getting resistance bands for some strength training
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

If you want to follow the MFP plan, then yes you should eat them. If you are unsure of how many calories you burn, you may want to only eat a percentage of them.
  • Llorry
    Options
    Thank you Bbattoes..I will attempt to and see if I lose even with eating them.
    I am unsure how many calories as I also choose dance as the exercise..I do a sittercise cardio routine
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am unsure how many calories as I also choose dance as the exercise..I do a sittercise cardio routine

Yes, I imagine that would make it hard to find an accurate burn count in the database. You might want to invest in a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate read.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    MFP is based around a specific system that requires you to, and they took that into account when originally deciding your calorie goals. Using a more conventional system to determine your daily nutritional goals (TDEE) won't have you logging your workouts like MFP does.

The MFP system is based around a degree of accountability that some people need to be held to in order to reach their goals. However, for people who are already moderately fit and looking to get even fitter, or people who are not overweight/obese, a more conventional system may be more appropriate.
  • Llorry
    Options

Yes, I imagine that would make it hard to find an accurate burn count in the database. You might want to invest in a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate read.
    Is there a way to tell more accurately if I did know the heart rate?
  • Llorry
    Options
    MFP is based around a specific system that requires you to, and they took that into account when originally deciding your calorie goals. Using a more conventional system to determine your daily nutritional goals (TDEE) won't have you logging your workouts like MFP does.

The MFP system is based around a degree of accountability that some people need to be held to in order to reach their goals. However, for people who are already moderately fit and looking to get even fitter, or people who are not overweight/obese, a more conventional system may be more appropriate.
    Thank you. I do not have a ton to lose ...23 pounds but I do need to get fit again and I miss my skinny clothes :)
  • Llorry
    Options
    So what I am getting here is if I to do this TDEE then I would just not add my exercise in to the Mix...I am still debating which is better for me.
    Thank you all for your help
  • David482
    Options
    Exercise is very important to improve health and fitness. Go for running, walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. Practice push ups, bench press, chair squats, cable stretching and band resistance. It make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health and give you fit body.
    Tacoma personal trainer