RE: Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hi Guys,

Ok... so I need a HRM!

I want it to

1) Be easy to understand and use

2) Keep track of all my calories burnt in a gym session... be it on the treadmill, on the elliptical etc

3) would prefer it to be a wrist watch as I don't love having to wear the band around my chest but that's not a deal breaker... it's more important it's as accurate as possible!!!!!

Any ideas?!!!

Thanks!

Replies

• mandy2128
    Options
    i have a sportsline HRM that i got from ****s sporting goods. It isnt the *BEST*... but it was very affordable and does the job. I think i paid like 60 bucks. Polar heart rate monitors are good too, but those are a little more.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i am not sure they do ones just with wrist watches--they have a band reading the heart while the watch displays the data--hence a heart rate monitor!!
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    For accuracy a chest band model is vital- Polar FT4 is fine and not too expensive.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I never knew you could get a heart rate monitor without a chest strap. I thought that was the point. I really love my Polar F6. Granted I didn't buy it myself, it was a birthday present, I would spend the money on it myself if I had to. I love mine! The chest strap is very light and I rarely know that I am even wearing it.
  • patti1007
    patti1007 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Polar F4 and will be using it today for my workout.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT7 and love it. It DOES have a chest strap, that is really recommended to get the most accurate data. They are not cheap, but most times when you figure which one you want you can find a deal on amazon or ebay.
  • snappo2000
    snappo2000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar F6. I am still figuring out all the extras. I have no problem using it for calories burned and heart rate. It does have a strap, but it is not very noticable while exercising. I am pretty happy with it.
  • mandy2128
    Options
    *ALSO the sportsline one i have does NOT have a chest strap.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 and I just googled it and saw it priced for just above $100. I love it and had it for years and just now had to send it to have the battery replaced. Chest strap ones are more accurate as it continually monitors your HR as opposed to the watch ones that you have to touch the sensors.

One thing to consider (since you mentioned the gym) is to make sure it has signal encryption (the F6 does). This will keep the equipment from interfering electronically with the transmission of your HR and keep your results accurate. If there is interference it could skew your readings.

If you can't afford the $100 price tag.....save up. With HRMs you get what you pay for but you don't necessarily have to go nuts to get a good one either.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've only just seen all the replies as been having internet issues and the message boards would not open!
    I will have a read and do some research but I really appreciate all the info!!!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm after a polar F7 for Christmas as my husband's HRM is just too fiddly. I want to see HR and Cals burnt and am not interested in storing workouts and all that stuff. The F7 seems just the ticket.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love my FT60, and the Polar Wearlink strap is extremely comfortable. You don't even notice if after awhile.