i have a short torso. i need to make it look more curvy

Options
im 5"5 120lbs 120 y/o female. Compared to my legs my torso is really short, so i have to wear my jeans lower to make my torso look longer, in the pic im wearing my jeans lower, you can’t really tell (because im not toned) but my hip bones do come up higher than my jeans do. BUT when i work out it tends to really emphasize my short torso, i lose any curve i did have (sad) so I need an exercise that will work my sides, not just my sides but the muscle that run horizontal right above my belly button (look at the pic) what muscle is that and how can I tighten it to make my tummy more of an hourglass shape? When I get too toned I lose that shape and I think it’s because im not working that muscle? So how can I work that muscle? Below is that pic so you can see what im talking about.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33vityg&s=5

again you can't tell in the pic but my the top of my hips are literally an inch below my belly button

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Hello. I mean this in the most flattering way possible, but you are INSANE.

You have a beautiful face and an amazing midsection.

You are probably the only one that notices this 'flaw'.

80% of women would kill for your body, and so would 80% of men.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    Also, you are remarkably well preserved for being 120 years old.
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options

Um, yeah.. THIS^^^^^ Trust me you're good. I'll never look like that with the weight I have to lose and the skin that will be left over :frown:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

this
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options

Yup.

I'm in the 80% of women.
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options
    Yup.

I'm in the 80% of women.

I'm in the 80% of men.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am going to mirror Coc's comments.

The fact is we are all overly critical of ourselves. I have narrow shoulders. A buddy of mine is not tall enough. The fact is you look good. Love yourself, because I think a lot of other women would love to have it.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    This.
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You're 120 and look about 18?! Jeez, teach me your ways!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have read your post three times and I am still lost. You can do many ab/oblique exercises, but nothing is going to give you curves that you don't already have. You have a beautiful body - embrace it. I'm sure many other people would want to.

Edited to add - I also have a short torso, but my butt/hips are where my curves come in - not my stomach.
  • samco66
    samco66 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

hahahah i didn't even realize i said 120 years old i am 20***
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any advice for your exercises, but you have the perfect stomach~

The curves you are losing could be body fat, so maybe you want to gain a pound or so and see if it goes to your hips. If not, one pound is easy to lose.

Also the top of my hips are less than an inch below my belly button and I have a long torso. Bodies are all different shapes and proportions, this isn't something that you can change. Take what you've got (and what you've got is amazing) then embrace it!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have a great curve. I'm afraid that you're comparing yourself the the airbrushed photos in many magazines.

I can see your hips. They aren't abnormally high compared to your belly button (your waist, btw, is a few inches above that). You are very trim with not bulges or muffin top. All of this is normal, healthy, and beautiful for a woman who isn't airbrushed into "perfection" (which isn't really perfection, IMO) for a photo shoot.

If you want to emphasize your curve, though, you can work your shoulders and legs. Actually, I would do a full-body lifting program (well, I do that, actually) but maybe a bit more focus on shoulders (OHP, delt raises) and glutes and thighs (squats, deadlifts, and hip thrusters). You won't make your waist smaller, but having a bit more size and definition and a nice booty can emphasize what you do have. [I'm not saying become she-hulk. You won't get that anyway. But I do notice that my larger shoulder structure and pelvic girdle, given by genetics but accentuated by work, gives the look of a more curvy figure. And I'm 5'0" so I know all about short midsection)
  • samco66
    Options
    thanks for the answers everyone, i guess i am just obsessed with this minor "flaw" i will get over it and learn to love every inch of myself. thanks again :)
  • delicious_cocktail
    Options

hahahah i didn't even realize i said 120 years old i am 20***

Spoiled it for me. I was hoping you were a Time Lord.
  • samco66
    Options
    Yes, you have a great curve. I'm afraid that you're comparing yourself the the airbrushed photos in many magazines.

I can see your hips. They aren't abnormally high compared to your belly button (your waist, btw, is a few inches above that). You are very trim with not bulges or muffin top. All of this is normal, healthy, and beautiful for a woman who isn't airbrushed into "perfection" (which isn't really perfection, IMO) for a photo shoot.

If you want to emphasize your curve, though, you can work your shoulders and legs. Actually, I would do a full-body lifting program (well, I do that, actually) but maybe a bit more focus on shoulders (OHP, delt raises) and glutes and thighs (squats, deadlifts, and hip thrusters). You won't make your waist smaller, but having a bit more size and definition and a nice booty can emphasize what you do have. [I'm not saying become she-hulk. You won't get that anyway. But I do notice that my larger shoulder structure and pelvic girdle, given by genetics but accentuated by work, gives the look of a more curvy figure. And I'm 5'0" so I know all about short midsection)

" I'm afraid that you're comparing yourself the the airbrushed photos in many magazines."

^^you are correct. i lift now but i could probably be doing a better job at it. i work on my arms, thighs and butt but i should be doing more of my shoulders. thanks again for the answer :)
    "
  • BrittanyRC
    Options
    Ha! I have an incredibly short torso as well, I am 5'7 and most of that is legs. You think your short torso looks weird right now?? Try gaining 50 lbs and that short torso being a pot belly on legs. hahaha it's ridiculous. You look great, not just compared to a bigger girl like me. I am working my *kitten* off to have a cute little belly like that, short or not.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I had to stand up and check but the top of my hips bones are also only an inch or so below my belly button and I'm 5'9". Pretty sure that's not a measure of a short torso. You look great.
  • samco66
    Options
    I had to stand up and check but the top of my hips bones are also only an inch or so below my belly button and I'm 5'9". Pretty sure that's not a measure of a short torso. You look great.

yeah, i wasn't sure if it was like that for everyone so i just said it lol. i do have a really short torso compared to my legs and arms though. thanks!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have a short torso, too. Sometimes finding clothes that fit right is a problem, but everyone, no matter what their body shape, has some problems finding clothes that fit properly. I have a friend who has a hard time finding clothes that fit because her torso is very long... she wanted a jumpsuit and felt like she was being sawn in half.

Personally (and this is after 40-some years of living in this body), I'm really happy with the problems a short torso has. It's all about perspective. Saying, "My torso is too short" sounds bad. Saying, "My legs look really long" sounds good. Emphasize your best features instead of wishing they were different.