Food Allergies. Anyone

Options
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has any feedback/recipes/life stories on living with food allergies. My weight loss journey has been a success up until recently. I have developed a chicken intolerance coughing, wheezing, throat tightness.. but thank goodness no anaphalaxis.. With no chicken this has taken away a big piece of protein. I am still trying to find creative ways to enjoy eating clean but with this new allergy every bite is scary.:explode: :explode:

Replies

• corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with chicken allergies but I developed a dairy allergy about 6 years ago at the age of 24! I was not a dessert fan (thank goodness) but cheese was a staple in my life!

Use it as an opportunity to try new foods and combinations! Chicken is boring anyway haha- spice it up a little!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to bananas :sad:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You've seen an allergist and gotten an epi pen, or two, right? Two is better than one.
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    :happy: You are right and I have two.. bendryl liquid and capsules.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yup lots of weird food allergies here...wheat, potatoes, celery, carrots, cherries, peaches, pears, nitrates, msg. Needless to say eating is an adventure. I alway have my epi, liquid and capsule benadryl with me. Even coming in physical contact with potatoes or peaches can trigger an allergic reaction. Fun times! NOT. Anyhow, feel free to add me if you would like.

eta: also a dairy intolerance...I can handle a bit but not too much. This along with erosive gastritis (no acidic foods like citrus or tomatoes) really limits my food choices.

Cross contamination is killer and will always = a reaction. so far no epi needed but its been close!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to shellfish and walnuts. Of course, it's AFTER I fell in love with sushi! My reactions are strange, my brain gets fuzzy and it's hard to breath, my jaw tightens and the muscles around my eyes contract. I am out of it for at least two hours. I had chicken lettuce wraps at PF Changs, thinking that was fine. Nope! They use oster sause in it. Luckily, I wasn't driving! I have to watch the hidden ingredients too.

My 10 year old is allergic to nuts, all nuts. That is a challenge too. You would be surprised how many places use peanut oil to cook with. My daughter is really good about asking what's in food. She has an epi pen at home and school.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yup lots of weird food allergies here...wheat, potatoes, celery, carrots, cherries, peaches, pears, nitrates, msg. Needless to say eating is an adventure. I alway have my epi, liquid and capsule benadryl with me. Even coming in physical contact with potatoes or peaches can trigger an allergic reaction. Fun times! NOT. Anyhow, feel free to add me if you would like.

eta: also a dairy intolerance...I can handle a bit but not too much. This along with erosive gastritis (no acidic foods like citrus or tomatoes) really limits my food choices.

Cross contamination is killer and will always = a reaction. so far no epi needed but its been close!

Buffets are scary, aren't they!!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I developed an almond allergy at the age of 36. Sucks because I LOVE almonds.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I have allergies to many fruits and veggies and wheat. I recommend Gardein if you are looking for a chicken substitute.
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    Thanks goodness I have had to use my epi once becasue I am also allergic to shellfish and it is a drag.. I feel and understand your pain.
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    TERRIFYING..lolol I don't go to them at all anymore and you might need an EpiPen as well.
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    Wow I just picked that up in the store last night but didn't try it. Is it good?
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have no allergies - just sensitivities that cause bloating, gas, fatigue and irritability. Dairy, soy, beans, refined sugar (I use stevia, honey, coconut sugar and maple syrup), gluten, grains.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    not to chicken, but my daughter has a life-threatening milk allergy. So we are well versed and awesome with milk-free recipes.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Coeliac (which yes I know is not an allergy/intolerance) so no gluten but also cant have dairy, soya, eggs, mustard or sunflower products. The hospital also said I'm likely to be allergic to certain preservatives and flavourings but they cant test for them all. Have to go on a daily high dose of antihistamine even if symptom free.
  • FaithfulToIt
    Options
    Wow i would love some of those my hubby is has milk issues.
  • xvintagepearls
    Options
    Hi there! I am so happy to see that there are other people on the forum that suffer from food allergies, as well. I come from a very food-allergy prone family, so I can most certainly relate to you. I am anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts, all other nuts, and coconut. I am also allergic to soy (able to tolerate soybean oil/soy lecithin. I am also lactose intolerant. Dairy is one of my favorite foods, so I do consume it but try to keep it to a minimal amount. Some dairy products are easier on my stomach than others. Too much though and I will be very sick. I have learned that lesson, one too many time.

My brother, on the other hand, is allergic to eggs, dairy, soy, and wheat in addition to being anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts, all other nuts, and coconut.

I can most certainly help you out if you need recipes etc.!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Learning to be proactive about cooking labels, and being adamant about asking people if the allergen is in their food.

I haven't had a severe reaction since I was younger, so I don't have an epipen (because money... JUDGE ME). I keep a supply of Benadryl on me always, because it takes the edge off if I do ingest things incidentally.

Call it a learned behavior, but I tend to vomit the moment I eat anything with coconut (what I'm allergic to) anyway, as well. It's definitely something I'm much more aware of, now that every Tom, **** and Harry uses coconut in their products and/or cooking.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have this allergic reaction to all foods where i gain weight. I have to take exercise pills to prevent it. Working good so far.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has any feedback/recipes/life stories on living with food allergies. My weight loss journey has been a success up until recently. I have developed a chicken intolerance coughing, wheezing, throat tightness.. but thank goodness no anaphalaxis.. With no chicken this has taken away a big piece of protein. I am still trying to find creative ways to enjoy eating clean but with this new allergy every bite is scary.:explode: :explode:

You can be allergic to chicken? Seriously? I love chicken! Do you know what triggered the allergy?