Joining the YMCA???

Options
Please, please, please someone convince me to join the YMCA!!!! I live in Nebraska and the winters are brutal. I was running almost every day until it started to get cold and wet outside. (Possible snow tomorrow and 20 degrees). Unfortunately where I live I can't do exercise videos (The people in my building would frown upon my 200lbs jumping up and down at 6am). I won't go outside in the extremes. I need an outlet ot exercise. I live in a small suburb outside the city. There are ZERO local gyms. The YMCA is exactly 16.6 miles from my home, and 4.5 miles from my work. If the gym was right around the corner from my house I would have already joined it. I'm nervous that I'm not going to want to drive out of my way daily to workout. Please someone--convince me this is necessary!!!!!

Replies

• Wrxsti23
    Options
    I personally love the Y and joined a month ago. My amount of workouts have increased significantly. I don't know about you but I'm big into group classes because it's a great way to force me there for an hour and I actually enjoy them. I have taken the Body Pump and Spin classes and love them. I just tried out Body combat for the first time on Saturday and burned 600 calories during the class. It was amazing and I am totally enjoying my membership. I also went in the sauna and jacuzzi yesterday because my muscles were sore and I don't have a tub I can take baths in. I've had tons of memberships before and they were all a waste. This is truly the only one that I have gotten my money's worth out of. I also go early in the morning before work every day so I think it's great that it's close to your job.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    DO IT!! I use my gyms in the winter specifically for this very reason! I am lucky in that I can do some workouts in my home - mostly my morning workouts but to stay on focus and find all the opportunity waiting for you you should join the gym.

As you have said, it is only about 5 miles from your work - Stop by on the way home from work or even on the way to work and get it done. You will probably be surprised by how much you like it. You will find like-minded people there - I call us the winter-only crowd. LOL.
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from girl and considering how bad your winters are I'd say it's a good investment and your only real option during the cold months. I agree with @Celtbelle, leave your house early and do it on your way in to work or vice versa. My brothers gym is literally two blocks away and even he goes straight there from work rather than go home where he is tempted to just stay in sometimes. He actually rented a locker to keep all his stuff there and not even have to worry about bringing gear back and forth. If I had a gym near me that opened early I would join up myself. I'm hoping to find something near us when we move to PA or we'll need to invest in a good elliptical because I definitely think it'll be too cold for me to run when we get there in Feb.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly, being so far, I probably wouldn't join, unless you know you'll stop on the way back from work.

You can do home videos though, just need to find something that is low impact, and there's a lot of that out there. Personally I'd look into that instead.
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love my local ymca , have been a member for more then ten years, at ours they offer a ton of free classes with membership, and the trainers will show you how to use the equipment correctly. They are always friendly and supportive of everyone at my local ymca. Often they will give you a free week to try out the facities and you can decide if you want to join. I am in Canada and we have snow in the winter and its a lot more fun working out indoors for me in the winter, and the sauna is my reward for a good work out, no calories but so relaxing.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am a member of the Y and there are so many wonderful things about it. Free classes with membership. You get to try lots of different workouts, whether classes, weights, cardio room, etc. The people there are very nice. Free childcare during my workout with membership. Maybe you could go right after work? I go twice a week with a co-worker and it's a great social outlet for us.