Quinoa VS Brown Rice

Options
So, I have recently decided to add brown rice to my diet and take out white rice, pastas, & potatoes. While I was speaking with one of my coworkers and she said to do quinoa instead because it was more nutrient dense but basically the same thing as a brown rice substitute. But come to find out Quinoa has almost 3x times the calories as brown rice! Should I really switch because its more nutrient dense? I am looking for more of a calorie defecit and feel switching to quinoa would hinder that.

I have stopped counting calories because I felt like it was getting me no where. It did however teach me a lot about what I was eating. So, I cant really tell you how many calories a day I am eating. Just that I have a high calorie/protien/carb/fat breakfast and everything else throughout the day is more like snacking on veggies. When I sit down for dinner with my family I do eat what they eat for the most part but less and with some substituions. Hope this helps and hope I get some helpful input!

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Yes, quinoa has more nutrients than brown rice; it's also one of the few plant proteins that is a complete protein, like meat. From my packages, quinoa doesn't have 3x the calories of brown rice, but the foods you're using may be different.

Eat what you like.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    compare with black rice as well.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer the taste of? There's your answer.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    quinoa is delish especially making quinoa oatmeal and adding some fruit in it :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Start counting calories again. Go! do it now. count them.

Now that we have an understanding we can address your next question. What Evileen said is true. I say use both Brown rice and quinoa... Why eliminate one?
  • BrendaRey74
    BrendaRey74 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I mix a little of both, maybe 2 to 1 ratio. I hadn't noticed the the calorie difference. Weird what one chooses not to see! I don't use as much quinoa so it never really was an issue pushing me over my calorie limit. I really love the taste and texture of the mix so I think I just push out something else to allow it in.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Taste wise I like white rice > red quinoa > brown rice > golden quinoa.

Red quinoa definitely has more to offer nutritionally than rice. It's hard to get my hands on it very often since I live in a small town, but red quinoa (and farro) are awesome grains to have on hand when you are trying to get just a little more protein. :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    One is a grain and the other isn't.

I like the taste of quinoa better than rice.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with potatoes? They're very nutritious.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Where did you see that quinoa is 3x the calories of brown rice? I cook my quinoa in water, and it's 222 calories per cup of cooked quinoa. White rice is 200 calories per cup of cooked rice, and according to the MFP database, brown rice is 218 per cup cooked.

I like quinoa a lot. I like the slightly nutty taste and the texture. I don't like the taste and texture of brown rice, so it's either white rice or quinoa for me.
  • looopyloops
    looopyloops Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like both, quinoa is a great food to add into your diet , I like to do it with veggie broth and throw in cut up zuccinni, onions and peppers.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with both? Just consume it in moderation.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    http://www.prevention.com/whats-healthier-quinoa-or-brown-rice

Quinoa wins hands down. for a lot of reasons you'll like. but the friend saying it has more calories is simply incorrect.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    quinoa is higher in calories. It's also higher in protein. I eat both. One is not necessarily better than the other. If you need to cut calories, then brown rice is probably a better option. If you are low on protein, quinoa might be the better option. Quinoa is typically much more expensive, so if you are on a tight budget, brown rice might be the better option.

If you prefer the taste of one and not the other, the one you like is the better option.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Explore your options and eat what you think tastes better :)

Quinoa has an ok taste but seems to pick up the flavours of things you make it with very well... black rice is another option as well, and it actually tastes really good as it is (at least that's what I think... it's pricey though) I've never heard of golden quinoa before, I think I just happen to always get red... or maybe I just didn't notice the difference... will look in to that :) I'm a huge couscous fan because of how EASY it is to make, but don't really know where it falls nutritionally.

I'm at the point where brown rice seems boring compared to the other options out there (and white rice? omg BLAND)
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of brown rice but I eat both, as well as white rice and potatoes :drinker:
  • kizzymonster
    kizzymonster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has more calories per gram than rice when both are uncooked-
    Bear in ind that quinoa grows a lot more than rice during cooking. You wouldn't be eating the same amount of both- Make comparisons with cooked brown rice and cooked quinoa to get a better idea of calories.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Why have one only one or the other? I eat quinoa and brown rice, and for that matter my diet also includes all the "forbidden" white starches like pasta, couscous, potatoes, and white rice, it all depends on what I am cooking. For example I am having Thai red curry chicken for dinner tonight, and I prefer to serve it over white jasmine rice since it works well with the flavor of the sauce. Having a full cup of white rice fits perfectly into my budget for the day because I have planned to make it work. It's all about finding a balance and staying within your kcal & macronutrient goals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I say use both Brown rice and quinoa... Why eliminate one?

This is my view. However, I also eat potatoes, pasta, sweet potatoes, and various other starchy carbs. My view is that you get more nutrients overall by having a more varied diet, plus, you know, variety.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    On what planet is quinoa 3x more calories than brown rice, for an equivalent serving? #doyouevenreadlabels?

On topic, I choose quinoa for the texture because brown rice gets boring very, very quickly.