Running outside.... in the snow...and the dark...

Options
For the first time in my adult life, I don't have a gym membership. I've been running outside and really enjoying it. Then daylight savings hit and I had to start running in the dark. I got myself a reflective vest and used my phone screen to light the road (no street lights or sidewalks) This was all fine and dandy until I was blinded by the headlights of an oncoming car. I ended up rolling my ankle in a pothole, and biting it. Thank goodness I didn't end up getting run over by the car! Anyway...I have solved that issue by jogging in place until the car passes. Not the greatest, but is certainly better than getting run over. So now to add a few more elements, the weather has been wet and near or below freezing.
I REALLY do not want to give up running, but I have to ask myself if I am being ridiculous and stupid by running along dark, slippery, cold streets with car traffic.
We are looking for a used treadmill, but it seems to be taking a while to find one.
Does anyone else run in these conditions? Am I being a whimp?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Can you run in a park instead? I run in a park that has about 5 miles of paved trails. Though many parks close by dusk, some don't.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Consider buying yourself a head lamp (silly looking but probably a good idea given the conditions you are running in). Also, check out Fitness Blender on youtube and their website - they have lots of workouts you can do in the comfort of your own home when the weather gets bad!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I typically run at 4:30 am, so no matter what time of year, ti's dark outside. I have to run along some city streets - but at that time of day they're mostly empty. I also run over to a trail where, at the most, I'll face an oncoming bike light.

Is running early morning an option for you?

Is there somewhere else you can run other than city streets? Even an outdoor track or something?
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you are enjoying it, keep doing it. But be aware that you might have to go a little slower and be a little more cautious than on dry summer roads.

First, get a good headlamp or flashlight. You are going to shatter your phone and it doesn't give off very good light. I prefer a flashlight because I can aim it just where I am going. On the other hand, a headlamp is hands-free, but I feel that I bob my head to get the light where I want it.

Can you modify your route to get to some sidewalked streets, especially ones that get shoveled and salted, so that you don't have to run on the sides of roads?

I can't tell from your post if you are female or not. You might want to get some mace or pepper spray to run with and if you run with headphones, only put them in one ear so that you can hear things around you.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    For the first time in my adult life, I don't have a gym membership. I've been running outside and really enjoying it. Then daylight savings hit and I had to start running in the dark. I got myself a reflective vest and used my phone screen to light the road (no street lights or sidewalks) This was all fine and dandy until I was blinded by the headlights of an oncoming car. I ended up rolling my ankle in a pothole, and biting it. Thank goodness I didn't end up getting run over by the car! Anyway...I have solved that issue by jogging in place until the car passes. Not the greatest, but is certainly better than getting run over. So now to add a few more elements, the weather has been wet and near or below freezing.
    I REALLY do not want to give up running, but I have to ask myself if I am being ridiculous and stupid by running along dark, slippery, cold streets with car traffic.
    We are looking for a used treadmill, but it seems to be taking a while to find one.
    Does anyone else run in these conditions? Am I being a whimp?

lowlight running, it's as important if not more for you to be SEEN rather than you to be able to see. It might be a good investment to buy a decent head torch..and please set it to STEADY and not flashing
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It just takes some getting used to, as you are finding out. Stick with it and it'll get better.

One of my favorite times to run is at dark in fresh snow.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Is there a local high school near you where you can use their track?
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bright reflective clothing and a decent (cheap) headlamp.

I recently picked one up at Target for ~$20. Has plenty of light for night running.

I try and stay off the side of the road for running in the dark. If you can, find a route with sidewalks and infrequent cross traffic. I have a 1 mile loop I run repeatedly in bad weather since it's moderately well lit and shoveled.
  • runshellersrun
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas! I will definitely get a light. There is a high school track not terribly far. I will have to look into whether that is an option.
    I did try running in the am one time to avoid traffic, and I didn't even make it down the block before I got freaked out and turned around to do a workout video instead! Seriously. ...it was so quiet and still I felt like I was the only one around for miles. Then the coyotes started howling and that was it! I wish I could relax and enjoy the quiet, but I feel much more comfortable when I know people are up and about.
    There is one neighborhood nearby that has newer, wide streets, and it is lit a bit better. I can always do a warm up jog and then do a loop as suggested.
    Thanks again!
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of running with a Headlamp, and a lot of reflective / high vis material ( My rule is to never dress like a Ninja when running in the dark). Some sort of spikes or screws for your shoes may be helpful as well, to combat icy patches.
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I usually try to go out with a flashlight and baseball cap at night. When a car comes down the street, (an inevitably flashes their brights at me for some reason) I just tip my head down so I can still see where I'm going while blocking out most of their direct light.