FitBit Monitor - Has anyone purchased one of these?

Options
FitBit is worn on your wrist and tracks your 'active' minutes... steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned, stairs climbed and also tracks your sleep patterns. Is anyone here using the device? What do you think about it? From what I understand it connects to MyFitnessPal also. - - and one of the reasons I am coming back to this forum after trying a couple others recently.

Doc says that I have to eat 500 cals per day PLUS the amount of calories that I burn everyday. Which is difficult for me to calculate at times... walking and running is easy to calculate, heavy gardening and housework is more difficult.
Can you tell me your thoughts on this product if you purchased one. Do you connect up to MyFitnessPal with it?

Here is a link if anyone is interested. http://www.fitbit.com/force.

The doc suggested it, but the reviews I have been reading are a bit wishy-washy.

Would really appreciate some feedback from peeps here. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and after looking at all the other incarnations of Fitbit I still think it's my best choice. I've heard a lot of people say the wrist models over estimate your activities plus I tuck the Zip into my bra and no one has to even know I'm wearing it. It doesn't track sleep patterns or stairs climbed but those aren't things I really care about anyway. It synchs with MFP and the Fitbit site to the Dashboard, tells me how many steps I've taken and what it estimates my daily burned calories to be.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit Force hasn't yet been released - I think they'll start shipping them within the next six weeks though.

I have a Fitbit One and I am sort of an evangelist about it. My mother has now lost an Ultra and three Ones (though the latest One has resurfaced!), so if you're prone to misplacing keys and the like, consider looking into the wristband style.

The Fitbit is more accurate than I was prepared to believe with regards to calculating BMR/TDEE. Faithfully logging everything you eat (calories in) and watching your daily caloric burn via Fitbit (calories out) is a great way to keep yourself on track.

The Fitbit goes in for gamification in a big way, so for every milestone you hit (10 thousand steps in a day, fifteen, twenty, twenty five, thirty, etc) you will get a badge. Ditto for flights of stairs climbed (if you get a tracker that measures that) or weight lost (if you set a loss goal).

You can also have friends on Fitbit and it will keep updating weekly Leaderboards, showing your weekly steps against your friends'. If you have a competitive streak, this REALLY is a great feature.

Fitbit and MFP do sync - Fitbit has its own food database, but it's nowhere as good as MFP's, so if you connect the accounts MFP will send your caloric intake to Fitbit and Fitbit will send back how many exercise calories you have netted if you have that function set up.

(Note: the sync between the Fitbit and MFP servers is actually down right now)

Anyway, yes - I have it, I love it, I find it INCREDIBLY helpful as a daily activity level monitor, and my best friend just hit the "60 lbs lost" mark by combining MFP and Fitbit.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    I got one a few weeks back and am VERY disappointed that it does not track my ellipitical steps. I can't do treadmill due to bad knees and stress fractures in both feet. I also stopped wearing it at night as it was syncing to my iPhone multiple times at night and my phone would buzz and wake me. Also disappointed that it won't just log the sleep time and sync in the AM if I turn the phone off. I also feel it wildly overestimates calories burned. If I was buring HALF the calories it tells me I am, I would have met my goal weeks ago. Thinking about selling on eBay.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    In for the reviews as thinking of asking for one as a Christmas pressie :smile:
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I got one a few weeks back and am VERY disappointed that it does not track my ellipitical steps. I can't do treadmill due to bad knees and stress fractures in both feet. I also stopped wearing it at night as it was syncing to my iPhone multiple times at night and my phone would buzz and wake me. Also disappointed that it won't just log the sleep time and sync in the AM if I turn the phone off. I also feel it wildly overestimates calories burned. If I was buring HALF the calories it tells me I am, I would have met my goal weeks ago. Thinking about selling on eBay.

How much is it telling you?
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a zip and love it!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    You might have it setup wrong if you think it's inaccurate. At first I bought it as an experiment to see if it was any good. I've had mine for over a month now and the calories burnt are pretty darn accurate based on what I already knew of my BMR/TDEE. For things like biking or the elliptical, you can log those manually in the Dashboard.

Whether your phone is on or off, it should still record your sleep patterns. Again, sounds like you have setting issues.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    Wow - thanks for all the information so quickly. That helps me tremendously.

Yes, the newest FitBit that you wear on your wrist doesn't ship for several more weeks, and the one I had my eye on.

And I did see/find the APPS crumbs on MFP site about 2 minutes after I posted this thread.

Anything you can think to add, let me know. I do need one that is waterproof.... well, water resistant. I should have mentioned that in my OP.

Thank you all again for getting back so quickly!
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    I understand there is a helpline too?
  • ceyc
    ceyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and it has been very useful in helping me track my activity level. I think it’s pretty accurate but even if it’s not 100% correct it helps makes me more aware of my activity. It syncs well with MFP. It also tracks my steps on the elliptical.

I chose the FitBit One because I can clip it to my bra and nobody knows I’m wearing it. (Plus I didn’t want the wrist version to interfere with wearing my bracelets and watches.)

I’m very pleased with the device.
  • westeewoman
    Options
    My husbnd and I got fitbits for Christmas last year. We wear them regularly and try to get our 10000 steps daily. I have found it motivating to wear it. It may not be precise to the calorie, but it does keep pretty good track of whether or not we have been moving or sitting around too much.

Mine is now defunct - it went through the washer and dryer :( I plan to replace it.
  • Followingsea
    Options
    My husbnd and I got fitbits for Christmas last year. We wear them regularly and try to get our 10000 steps daily. I have found it motivating to wear it. It may not be precise to the calorie, but it does keep pretty good track of whether or not we have been moving or sitting around too much.

Mine is now defunct - it went through the washer and dryer :( I plan to replace it.

I have heard of people washing their Fitbits and getting a replacement from the company - worth a shot?
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    The Fitbit Force hasn't yet been released - I think they'll start shipping them within the next six weeks though.

I have a Fitbit One and I am sort of an evangelist about it. My mother has now lost an Ultra and three Ones (though the latest One has resurfaced!), so if you're prone to misplacing keys and the like, consider looking into the wristband style.

The Fitbit is more accurate than I was prepared to believe with regards to calculating BMR/TDEE. Faithfully logging everything you eat (calories in) and watching your daily caloric burn via Fitbit (calories out) is a great way to keep yourself on track.

The Fitbit goes in for gamification in a big way, so for every milestone you hit (10 thousand steps in a day, fifteen, twenty, twenty five, thirty, etc) you will get a badge. Ditto for flights of stairs climbed (if you get a tracker that measures that) or weight lost (if you set a loss goal).

You can also have friends on Fitbit and it will keep updating weekly Leaderboards, showing your weekly steps against your friends'. If you have a competitive streak, this REALLY is a great feature.

Fitbit and MFP do sync - Fitbit has its own food database, but it's nowhere as good as MFP's, so if you connect the accounts MFP will send your caloric intake to Fitbit and Fitbit will send back how many exercise calories you have netted if you have that function set up.

Anyway, yes - I have it, I love it, I find it INCREDIBLY helpful as a daily activity level monitor, and my best friend just hit the "60 lbs lost" mark by combining MFP and Fitbit.

Good info, keep preaching!
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options

I have heard of people washing their Fitbits and getting a replacement from the company - worth a shot?
    That would be great if the did replace it... wonder if you would have to buy one of those "insurance policies" every box store is pushing now?
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and it has been very useful in helping me track my activity level. I think it’s pretty accurate but even if it’s not 100% correct it helps makes me more aware of my activity. It syncs well with MFP. It also tracks my steps on the elliptical.

I chose the FitBit One because I can clip it to my bra and nobody knows I’m wearing it. (Plus I didn’t want the wrist version to interfere with wearing my bracelets and watches.)

I thought about that, but honestly, some work that I do... especially in the Florida heat, the bra comes off whenever possible! Plus I fear that I wouldn't notice if it unclipped and fell off and out.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options

More aware of activity seems to be the running theme. (pun intended)
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and after looking at all the other incarnations of Fitbit I still think it's my best choice. I've heard a lot of people say the wrist models over estimate your activities plus I tuck the Zip into my bra and no one has to even know I'm wearing it. It doesn't track sleep patterns or stairs climbed but those aren't things I really care about anyway. It synchs with MFP and the Fitbit site to the Dashboard, tells me how many steps I've taken and what it estimates my daily burned calories to be.

Over estimating activities is a concern. I wonder by how much? Hate to go a couple weeks eating and extra 400 calories a day and finding out that was incorrect.
  • Followingsea
    Options

I thought about that, but honestly, some work that I do... especially in the Florida heat, the bra comes off whenever possible! Plus I fear that I wouldn't notice if it unclipped and fell off and out.

You can clip it to your panties too - this is what I do when I'm wandering around post-shower!
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options

Good info, keep preaching!

May I ask, is the sync between FitBit and MFP down often or is that rare occurrence?
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you want an expensive pedometer then go for it. It doesn't measure biking calories and gets messed up if you wave your arm too much which means workouts in a class or dvd would not be measured correctly I don't see how it can be accurate at all. I'll take a hrm anyday over this. And if you have to log the stuff it doesn't work for manually, then really, what good is it unless all you do is walk?