Is eating healthy on food stamps possible?

Options
myurav
myurav Posts: 165 Member
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2013/11/09/too-much-of-too-little/?hpid=z1

This article expands on what many of us know - the cheapest foods are usually the unhealthiest ones, but what can we do to solve it?

Anyways, I found it an interesting read without a simple solution, so figured I'd post it up for discussion!

Replies

• kenyonl85
    kenyonl85 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Too bad I usually see people buying ice cream, take and bake pizzas, and expensive steaks with it. Not the cheapest foods.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I just read that article and I completely agree - no simple solution. Great read though.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Ive known some people who worked the system for some pretty big link card benefits... They shopped at whole foods and stuff.

So, yes.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know on food stamps gets a large amount of money ($900 for a family of 4 and $700 for a family of 2 - two of the families I know)

I would say Heck Yes! It most certainly is possible to eat healthy with that kind of food "budget."
  • SpicyBaconCake
    SpicyBaconCake Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go with yes. I have friends that get twice as much in food stamps than I spend out of my pocket when eating healthy. And that's with one or two less people in the house! I have one friend that has no idea how to live on a food budget cause she has been on food stamps with her child for so long and just buys whatever lands in the cart.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    yes, but you will have to do the cooking. Good, healthy foods are cheap. Brown Rice, legumes, whole grain pasta. Watch the sales and shop for lean protein on sale, then stock up. I grow my own herbs for flavor but the generic dry herbs and spices can add all kinds of flavor to your food. Also keep an eye on canned veg - just be sure to get the low sodium brands to bulk up your rice/pasta dishes. Make extra to eat for lunch the next day so you save on bread/deli meats which are pricy and high in sodium. I made big batches of veg soup or chili and freeze in individual containers for later use - especially those days when the weather is bad and extends my already gruesome commute and I'm so tired I may be tempted to stop for fast food on the way home. Buy cheaper, tougher cuts and braise in oven or slow cooker. Extend it by making quesadillas, tacos, sandwiches or pot pies w/the leftovers. I grew up on food stamps so I speak w/knowledge. We grew up w/little to NO junk food so we were not overweight kids. We had to get jobs and earn money for treats like Burger King or a soda.

I totally agree with those who say there are people who work the system or they claim that they are so poor that their only treat is to buy soda, candy, expensive steaks - that is until you see their massive flat screen TV, video game set and the 1000's of games laying about.

As I said we cooked. We had a veg garden and I still have one today even though my husband and I have a VERY good combined salary. I canned salsa, charred and froze tomatoes, blanched and froze loads of eggplant to use over the winter.

One more thing that really burns me about those who whine they can't do it is that NEARLY all of them with children qualify for free or reduced breakfast AND lunch and thus they are not spending any money to feed their kids during school days AND many districts extend free lunches throughout the Summer months.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible, especially if you are strategic about the stores you frequent and what types of sales they are having.
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as one is willing to put in the time and effort to not only cook ever meal, but also shop the sales. Before you even enter the grocery store you had better have a list of the only things you're planning to buy based on what's on sale and what necessities you need for the week/month. And have coupons ready to save even more, plus ad match if your store allows it.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as one is willing to put in the time and effort to not only cook ever meal, but also shop the sales. Before you even enter the grocery store you had better have a list of the only things you're planning to buy based on what's on sale and what necessities you need for the week/month. And have coupons ready to save even more, plus ad match if your store allows it.

From reading that article, this seems to be the case. Also, perhaps the list of recommended foods they give to people, like the woman in the article, about recommended foods should include a locally appropriate sample budget with some examples of meal plans.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know on food stamps gets a large amount of money ($900 for a family of 4 and $700 for a family of 2 - two of the families I know)

I would say Heck Yes! It most certainly is possible to eat healthy with that kind of food "budget."

I agree when it comes to families. I live in a low COL area so it's usually more like $600 or $400 per month for families on EBT benefits, but yeah...in my area that is more than enough to eat healthy/well.

My husband and I eat well (two adults, no kids) on well under $200 per month - we don't qualify for benefits of that sort, but just saying!

However, I know several people who are single adults and get EBT benefits due to disability and theirs are seriously low amounts like $10, $34, $67 per month. So in those cases, probably not likely...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I would think it's possible. Just takes a bit of planning and preparing.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Wait what? The only food you cannot buy on food-stamps is hot ready made food. You so can buy healthy foods. But here is the thing. If you live in a very poor area you may be limited to what kinds of healthy food you can buy. Also the produce is often very expensive and not fresh.

Yes it is possible.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Meanwhile.... I would kill for some food stamps.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, no. Many of them dont have access to decent produce. They have to consume energy dense products with very little micronutrients in them.

Now they are incorporating more farmers markets into this
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    people on food stamps get ridiculous amounts of money. 3 times what i spend monthly on groceries. period.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Its called a budget. Just like EVERY.OTHER.PERSON. has to live with. From what I've seen they get more money than what I spend on food on even a "high" month on the same family size. We've had plenty of issues in my county with people working the debit card by allowing the store to charge double yet them buying cigarettes, alcohol or even cash.

For those who really do need it and use it for the intended purpose I think its more like access to fresh food rather than frozen or low quality food. In our downtown we have Save-A-Lot and thats it for grocery stores. I would not even call it a grocery store. You then either have to ride a bus with a transfer or drive to a decent grocery store....usually thats not a problem for those abusing the system to have access to a car anyways.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    My mother qualifies for food stamps due to disability. They give her something like $40 every 2 weeks. For her at least it's not really enough to be more than supplemental. People with kids get quite a bit more.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My mother qualifies for food stamps due to disability. They give her something like $40 every 2 weeks. For her at least it's not really enough to be more than supplemental. People with kids get quite a bit more.

Yep. TOTALLY do not understand this. My former client who was a man with autism in his 40's working at a special facility earning way under min. wage, got $34 per month in food stamps. I know a family of four, dad works making decent money at a factory, mom stays at home, and last I heard, they received $500+change monthly for food stamps in addition to the children getting free breakfast & lunch at school. What in the world...!?

Ah, I guess it's the same thing as tax time when people with kids get thousands back. Pisses me off to be quite honest.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    There is no legitimate reason that someone receiving food stamp benefits cannot eat "healthily"aside from ignorance.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Yep. TOTALLY do not understand this. My former client who was a man with autism in his 40's working at a special facility earning way under min. wage, got $34 per month in food stamps. I know a family of four, dad works making decent money at a factory, mom stays at home, and last I heard, they received $500+change monthly for food stamps in addition to the children getting free breakfast & lunch at school. What in the world...!?

Ah, I guess it's the same thing as tax time when people with kids get thousands back. Pisses me off to be quite honest.

Yep it's not very fair someone with a true disability is punished for not procreating. I'm taking advantage of it though. I'd be stupid not to if the government thinks popping out a kid is worth a few thousand then I'm taking it.