CrusherKun
CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
Ok....This one is simple. Cant screw it up

1 Swai (or other white fish filet) 4 oz
1 tablespoon oldbay seasoning
1 teaspoon flour
1 table spoon Omega 3 butter substitute
1 table spoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Chili Garlic Sauce (Huy Foods brand)

Place a steel pan (no stick is ok, but I don't like the sear it gives) on medium high heat - while it heats up prep fish

Pat dry fish fillet and sprinkle Old Bay Seasoning on both sides of the fish and press gently into flesh (Do not mix the flour and Old Bay, as Old bay is used for Blackening and will burn quick if not careful)

Do same with flour

Remove pan from heat for a moment while you add the Butter Sub. and the Olive oil (combo helps avoid the Butter sub from over cooking, and gives a better balance of flavor and nutrients)

Once melted and bubbling swirl around the pan.

Place fillet into the pan and let cook (untouched) for 3 minutes each side. Use a flat steel spatula (another reason to use a heavy steel pan) to flip CAREFULLY.

Once done, place on your plate - take half of the Chili Garlic Sauce/paste and spread out over the top of the fish with the backside of a spoon. Reserve the rest for extra should you want more heat.

ENJOY!!!

The calories on this vary but as I prepare it, is approximately 250 - 300 calories per service (likely less due to the amount of left over drippings from the frying and the left over flour). If your diet is sodium restricted, this may not be the best, using black pepper and making your own chili garlic sauce/paste, are good subs.

-CK

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I JUST saw this fish at Sams...I've never heard of it :blushing: Bought the tilapia instead. Is Swai mild-tasting?
  • CrusherKun
    Options
    Yes. It has a very clean taste. Some reviews suggest it is better tasting than Tilapia.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Options
    Thank you. I really need to cook more fish, but it's expensive and I don't want to get something I may not like.

Dude, I just noticed Gaara in your meter... :drinker:
  • CrusherKun
    Options
    The Swai I found was frozen....comes in a bag of like 12-16 fillets at Walmart for $11.

Just you knowing Gaara makes you a winner in my book!!! That series is one I model alot of my goals in life after. Sure its silly to say outloud but, whatever works!

Ill send Invite:)

-CK
  • StunningLegerity
    StunningLegerity Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    mmmm!! i've got some black drum i may have to try this on. nom nom nom thanks for sharing!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    Options
    bumpity for my pal.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because it sounds legit delicious, and swai rocks my socks off. Cheap, tasty, and a better consistency than tilapia.
  • CrusherKun
    Options
    Oh Wow! Kinda makes me feel good to see so many who like the look of something i just threw together.

:blushing:
  • CrusherKun
    Options
    Oh i wanted to provide a small update i have found to help with this recipe,

I have been trying to get away from the sodium rich Old Bay and Chili Garlic Paste combo. I have been trying different spices (Sweet Curry spice has become a fave lately), instead of the old bay. Really just any sort of low to no sodium spice mix is good on this fish (within reason). Instead of the chili paste, I have been doing something very simple and easy. when you place the oil/butter sub. mix in the pan to heat up, add a half a teaspoon of red pepper flake and let that defuse into the oil/butter. You will see the color of the flake immediately begin to release into the mix. After 30 seconds begin frying. Please keep in mind that the flakes will darken up considerably, and finess will be needed to avoid burning. Patience is key to any cooking process. If all else fails, hot sauce fixes all things:)

CK
  • basowner
    basowner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    very mild and I now prefer it over Talapia