quit smoking and struggling to control eating

Options
I quit smoking 6 months ago and have put on a load of weight. I joined MFP 2 weeks ago I'm 5 ft need to lose 2.5 stone.I'm on 1200 calories and though I lost 2lb the first week I started eating out of control as I wanted a cigarette last week and put on 5lb. I put on weight so easily . I read in one of the posts that there are foods and teas that will help speed up your metabolic rate .I feel so down about this weight gain that I'm thinking about starting smoking again just so I can control my eating.Any advice please.I spoke to my Dr about it and he just said stay of the cigarettes and that was it.

Replies

• MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? I've been an on/off smoker for a long time (I know, its terrible!) & I do notice the weight goes on more easily when I'm in an "off" phase. Exercise helps, though. And it helps you stay away from the cigs, because you don't want to mess up your lung function by lighting up (even just one---you REALLY notice a difference)
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes!! I quit smoking three years ago after 45 yrs of puffing and yes I did gain weight. I gave myself a whole year after quitting and joined WW, to date I have lost 50 lbs. Going back to smoking will solve nothing.If you want to speed up your metabolism exercise, a lot!!!! That was the only way I could get through the day, it helps take the craving away and speeds things up. You can do this, I am 64 years old and it took me many tries before I was successful, I still think about a cig every now and then, especially if I have a drink. Good luck to you.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well done you for quitting smoking. I use and e cig to try to get to quit.

But forget about that, the main thing is getting eating under control, are you keeping your diary?

Everyone puts on weight easily if they are eating too much and not moving enough.

It is so easy to blame other things for over eating...stress, family, illness..but it really is about self control.

If you really want to do lose weight then your diary is going to be your biggest friend.

You can do it xx

eta typos damn tiny keyboard lol
  • chrissiejean54
    Options
    I do aerobic exercise for 30-40 mins 4-5 times a week.
  • foofooboopeep
    foofooboopeep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to start smoking again myself just for weight control! I'm pretty sure I gained so much weight during my pregnancy because of stopping.

No real advice, but hang in there!