At what point would you go to the doctor?

Options
2»

Replies

• daddylawbucks
    daddylawbucks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good to hear your going to be fine (even if it hurts for a bit)
  • daddylawbucks
    daddylawbucks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the update, and even though we don't know each other, it's great to hear your going to be fine.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I'm back from the doctor with good news -- I had an x-ray and there is no sign of any bone damage. There are no obvious signs of a ligament tear either (although you'd really need an MRI to be sure). So it is probably just bruised tissue and the doc says no running until the end of the week.

^Yay no bone damage. You must be relieved!
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, you should go and get it looked at just in case you are making it worse. Better safe than sorry.
  • whiteposy
    Options
    I see you have gone and are back home.. so my advice is a little late for you.

But if you took a course in basis first aid, you would know where that line is, to seek medical care or save your money, As a medic, that is why they pay me the big bucks. I know where that line is.

It is not a bad idea to know a little more about medicine anyway, so check it out at St John ambulance.. or the equivalent in your area.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If rubbing dirt on it and walking it off doesn't work, then you need a real doctor, and not an internet doctor.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    This thread is an interesting exercise in seeing who reads all the posts and who just reads the subject line and / or the first post and then hits "reply"!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm glad there's no obvious damage and that you should be running again soon.

I'll tell you what happened to me - sometime in Feb/Mar, I took a fall on an 18 mile training run and landed hard on my left knee. After stopping immediately afterward, catching my breath and letting the pain subside, I was able to run the rest of the way home (about 7 miles). I was able to complete the rest of my marathon training and ran the marathon (and 2 more in 2013 for that matter) with no serious issues. I did develop some delayed patella bursitis ~ I basically ended up with a little pillow of fluid directly on top of my knee cap. It didn't bother me while running, but I couldn't kneel on my knee for months. Eventually the bursitis went away and just in the last ~4 weeks or so, I've been able to kneel on that knee again. So, while you may be back in action soon, don't be surprised if it takes a while to fully heal, especially if you continue to put stresses on it (like running) like I did.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I go to the doctor once a year. other than that, im pretty good at caring for myself. if you can walk on it and bend it, its not broken. ice it, heat it, soak it, stay off it. give it atleast a week to heal.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Glad the x-ray was clear. But, I gotta question the decision to jump on the elliptical because it hurts too much to run. I'm a guy who had a torn ACL and continued to play tennis and run for almost 6 months before going to get examined, so I can talk with the kind of authority that comes from stupidity. Why? What do you lose by taking a week off, or whatever the doc recommended? What do you gain from working out when your soft tissue is all swollen and prone to being aggravated?
    Why do runners feel like they have to keep going when they have pain? (Not discomfort. Outright pain)
    Seems to me you would heal faster if you didn't aggravate it.
    It'll probably still be sore in a week or 10 days -- if you are afraid you are going to miss out on that masochism.
    Just trying to inject a little perspective.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Glad the x-ray was clear. But, I gotta question the decision to jump on the elliptical because it hurts too much to run. I'm a guy who had a torn ACL and continued to play tennis and run for almost 6 months before going to get examined, so I can talk with the kind of authority that comes from stupidity. Why? What do you lose by taking a week off, or whatever the doc recommended? What do you gain from working out when your soft tissue is all swollen and prone to being aggravated?
    Why do runners feel like they have to keep going when they have pain? (Not discomfort. Outright pain)
    Seems to me you would heal faster if you didn't aggravate it.
    It'll probably still be sore in a week or 10 days -- if you are afraid you are going to miss out on that masochism.
    Just trying to inject a little perspective.

I have taken 10 days off before. It was not pleasant trying to come back from that. Took over two months. I will certainly not run if there is pain but if there isn't, the doctor has cleared me to continue running. This is not a torn ACL. This is a bruise that did not damage bones or ligaments.

I have been training since February in an attempt to qualify for guaranteed entry into the New York Marathon. I don't want those months of effort to go to waste, so I will do everything I can to try to come back.

Yes, you are right that there is the possibility that this will continue to be sore in 10 days, but I prefer not to resign myself to that right now. No, I won't do anything to aggravate the injury, but experience has shown me that the longer the break you take, the tougher it is to recover.