Maintenance Plan

Options
Hey Everyone,

Well I'm 4 lbs away from my goals weight and 11 weeks away from my goal date and also 11 weeks away from my first full marathon. So I have a couple factors going on here... I'm currently at 1230 calories with some huge exercise burns because of the marathon training and I don't usually eat them all back that day but by then end of the weekend I usually net somewhere around 1230.

I'd like to reach my goal and move to maintenance or mostly to maintenance by my marathon and also switch from the MFP method to the TDEE maintenance method, 1900 cals. After my marathon I'll still be exercising but I plan to add much more resistance/weight training and obviously won't have as high burns but I factored my maintenance for 4 days of moderate exercise. I probably still won't eat all of my maintenance calories because I like to bank some for the weekends but they'll be gone by Sunday believe you me :)

Is there anything I need to watch out for while not only switching from a high exercise burn level but also going from NEAT to TDEE? Maybe switch to TDEE after the marathon and then up to maintenance? I probably should be more patient but I want more calories :) Pizza bagel thins are calling my name :)

Replies

• emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't think there will be anything specific you will have to watch out for. It'll just a be a bit of trial and error to figure out your TDEE. It may be a bit of an adjustment not eating as much though! Given you are going to be eating fewer calories per day, you will probably have to adjust your macros. Protein/fats should ideally be set up as an amount, but the site only lets you set them up as a percentage. When your calorie goal is lower, the percentage of calories you need to get from protein/fat will need to be higher.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would start to get an idea as to your average caloric intake and use that as a baseline to go off of when you try to figure out your TDEE rather than relying on an online calculator.

As for maintaining, I would suggest that you start increasing calories very slowly, on a weekly basis, and monitor your change in weight as calories come up. Ideally, you'll continue to lose for a bit as calories increase and eventually you should, in theory remain weight stable or close to it depending on how much you have to increase intake.