I Need EASY Recipe / Meal Ideas!

Options
I am rejoining MFP today! Several months ago I used this great tracking tool and lost 15lbs in just 2 months. Not being involved with the community, I slowly got off track and stopped tracking - therefore, I gained the weight back plus a few extra pounds. I get bored with grilled chicken breasts and having to cook for a husband and an 8 year old (which is new to me - been married with a child for just a year) I use the same old meals ... I need NEW, FRESH MEAL IDEAS! Please help! I want to stay on track this time! I'm doing this for life and I have a long journey ahead of me ---> 100lbs to lose!

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Stir fry veggies are a big filler for me. A little oil in the pan and shredded cabbage, some carrots, pepper, mushroom, red onion, sweet corn...the list goes on and on....it really fills the plate..add in some salt and pepper.

You can add in some chicken or pork or steak.

If you like eggs then stir fry a little veg and then pour an omelette mix over it.

There really is no need to stop eating any food, it is not your enemy.

Try to not eat processed foods, if you know what you are putting on the plate then you are good to go x
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ground chicken/turkey sheppards pie with a spinach salad on the side. Use mashed sweetpotatos for extra yumm~doesn't get much easier or tastier.

1lb ground meat
    1pkg sheppards pie seasoning (or flavour your own way) 1 cup water
    1.5 cups mixed veggies (use just peas or corn if thats all you like)
    top with garlic mashed potato or sweet potatoes (boiled and mashed with a bit of low fat milk)
    brown meat add other stuff ~ simmer until water is gone
    top with potato layer and bake at 350 for 30 min (until just starts to brown a bit)

lol my dinner tonight !!
  • webneb
    webneb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Join pinterest and do a search for what you are looking for, theres 100's of great boards with good recipe ideas that keep nutrition in mind. While I understand with kids its hard youll also find that its just breaking bad habits even for your husband. 2 months of healthy eating and everyone wont even notice that they changed there diet
  • aKate_
    aKate_ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Check out this website: http://www.eatingwell.com/

And the Real Simple Magazine website. There are some great meal plans that are low cal.

Also, the Cooking Light magazine always has good recipes.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Turkey meatloaf. Use barbeque sauce instead of catsup for a nice kick.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I love Schnauzers too :)

Another vote here for Real Simple, but my favorite easy yummy reasonable-calorie recipes are from Publix Apron. http://www.publix.com/aprons/ I cook something from this site at least twice a week. Some of them only have a couple of ingredients and we haven't had a miss with them yet.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Bacon & eggs :D
  • Fiore_
    Fiore_ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch:

Chicken Wrap
    Sprouted wheat tortilla
    1/3 c. chicken, shredded
    Romaine lettuce mix
    1 T. mayo
    4 slices Roma tomato
    Salt & pepper

The way I make it is only 300 calories. I pair it with a piece of fruit and stay full for about 5-6 hours.

Every Sunday night, I roast a few bone-in chicken breasts, then shred them for my chicken wraps for the week. Roasting keeps the chicken moist and flavorful. Yum!
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps are easy and spices are so variable. This site might give you ideas.

http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/15-ways-to-make-lettuce-wraps/lettuce-eat-lettuce-wraps/
  • Anita4life
    Options
    Made these tonight and my 3 year old loved them! We called them crabby patties

Ingredients:
    1 pound lean ground turkey
    1 pkg. Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing and Seasoning Mix
    2-4 drops Tabasco sauce
    1 egg, large (lightly beaten)
    5 lite hamburger buns

Directions:
    In blender or small food processor, make breadcrumbs from on hamburger bun (or enough to make 1/4 cup crumbs). In small bowl, lightly mix egg, Hidden Valley Mix and Tabasco together. In a large bowl, add ground turkey, egg mixture and bread crumbs. Mix until just combined. Don't Over Mix! Lightly mold into 4 equal size patties. Pan fry. Serve on light hamburger buns with lettuce,and tomato.

I was amazed that he ate it. But he loved them. I served with a broccoli and apple salad. That he did not like at all! LOL there are lots of great websites out there for healthy meals. The meal I just gave you was 291.4 calories 10.5 fat 25.3 carbs 28.3 protein and 5.8 fiber
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Crock pot recipes are the easiest meals I make. I'm especially partial to the ones that allow me to dump all the ingredients in, turn the pot on, and walk away for hours. My favorite recipe book is "Fix It and Forget It" by Pellman-Goode. Crock pot cooking is so easy.
  • DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Once a month I make up a batch of these muffins, freeze them and have one for breakfast every weekday. They come from the second CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet book, which has heaps of easy and healthy recipes:

1/2 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup honey
    1 cup grated carrot
    2 bananas, mashed
    2 apples, unpeeled and grated
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 cups low fat milk
    1 1/2 cups unprocessed wheatbran
    1 1/2 cups oat bran
    2 cups plain wholemeal flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
    1/2 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 375 and lightly grease 2 12 cup muffin pans (I don't use paper muffin cup things, but you can if you want)

In a large bowl mix oil, honey, carrot, bananas, apples, eggs and milk. Stir through the 2 types of bran and let sit for 10 mins. You'll notice that the bran soaks up all the liquids.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Fold dry ingredients along with pecans and raisins through bran mixture until just mixed.

Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake 20 mins or until firm to the touch.

The book says the mix makes 24, but I find it makes an average of 27 - 30. When they're cool I pack them into large ziplock bags and put them into the freezer. 1 min in the microwave heats them perfectly from frozen. They're not huge but have a good mix of complex carbs and protein etc and are really easy in the mornings when pressed for time.