FitBit Monitor - Has anyone purchased one of these?

Options
2»

Replies

• K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    I got one a few weeks back and am VERY disappointed that it does not track my ellipitical steps. I can't do treadmill due to bad knees and stress fractures in both feet. I also stopped wearing it at night as it was syncing to my iPhone multiple times at night and my phone would buzz and wake me. Also disappointed that it won't just log the sleep time and sync in the AM if I turn the phone off. I also feel it wildly overestimates calories burned. If I was buring HALF the calories it tells me I am, I would have met my goal weeks ago. Thinking about selling on eBay.

Sorry to hear this.
    I wonder if some are just shipped defective? Did you try calling their Helpline about this?

Note to self: Stay away from Ebay for this item.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and it has been very useful in helping me track my activity level. I think it’s pretty accurate but even if it’s not 100% correct it helps makes me more aware of my activity. It syncs well with MFP. It also tracks my steps on the elliptical.

I chose the FitBit One because I can clip it to my bra and nobody knows I’m wearing it. (Plus I didn’t want the wrist version to interfere with wearing my bracelets and watches.)

I’m very pleased with the device.

I thought about that, but honestly, some work that I do... especially in the Florida heat, the bra comes off whenever possible! Plus I fear that I wouldn't notice if it unclipped and fell off and out.

You can clip it to your panties too - this is what I do when I'm wandering around post-shower!

Lol - that didn't even occur to me.
  • ceyc
    ceyc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sometimes clip mine to my blouse when I want to check my steps regularly without digging down in my bra. The clip is pretty tight and it has never fell off. I do worry about forgetting to take it off and it ending up in the washer.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've had two Fitbits, the original and the One. If I have the money I would consider getting the latest wrist version. They're fun, but not essential. A vigorous, committed exerciser probably would get less use out of one then someone who is trying to stay consistent at a lower level.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    May I ask, is the sync between FitBit and MFP down often or is that rare occurrence?

This is the second time I've been aware of since I got my Fitbit in May-ish.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    If you want an expensive pedometer then go for it. It doesn't measure biking calories and gets messed up if you wave your arm too much which means workouts in a class or dvd would not be measured correctly I don't see how it can be accurate at all. I'll take a hrm anyday over this. And if you have to log the stuff it doesn't work for manually, then really, what good is it unless all you do is walk?

That's why I'm trying to get more info.
    I guess I should have made it a bit clearer in my OP.
    Doc says now to start eating 500 calories per day, PLUS the amount of calories I burn daily. I can calculate Running/minutes and Swimming/minutes easily. The problem I have is knowing exactly how many calories I burn when I am out back doing inconsistent activities, like gardening... Shoveling, Digging, Hauling etc. It's very hard to calculate. I need something to make it easier to plan my calorie intake more precisely with less error.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    May I ask, is the sync between FitBit and MFP down often or is that rare occurrence?

This is the second time I've been aware of since I got my Fitbit in May-ish.

That's good to hear, thank you.
  • gleenyc
    Options
    Hi K.M.-

I recently joined MFP and got a Fitbit Force about a week ago. A work colleague had been using a Fitbit tracker and lost close to 30 lbs with it, but lost it when the clip broke. I went to my BestBuy and they weren't yet on display, but were recorded in the computer, so the salesperson was able to get one for me.

I'm very happy that I got the Fitbit Force because it does add the additional calories I can consume due to exercise (which is the feature you're very interested in). I only wish I had gotten on the MFP and Fitbit bandwagon sooner!

Setup was easy and walks you through it. I am using both the MFP app and the FitBit app on my phone and tablet. Bluetooth is kept on, so that the Fitbit Forces synchronizes with the app and keeps current the number of steps take, calories etc.

I did it via the MFP app by clicking on More | Connect My Fitness Pal | Get Started. I then selected Fitbit Tracker and clicked on the green "Connect" button. Once you connect the accounts, you do all your food logging in MFP, NOT in FitBit. You can check stats in Fitbit and set alarms - the Force has a vibrate alarm, which is a pleasant alternative to a clock radio.

I have the fitness rating set to 'sedentary." I haven't used any other fitness monitors before this, but I find I am much more aware of my daily exercise and walking levels. Since I live/work in an urban environment, I have no problem reaching the daily target. I agree with @FollowingSea's assessment of how accurate the calculations are

It took a bit of practice in getting it on and off. I also forgot to set the Fitbit to record when I go to sleep (press the Forge button 2x), but those are my only issues. Hope this info helps you!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you want an expensive pedometer then go for it. It doesn't measure biking calories and gets messed up if you wave your arm too much which means workouts in a class or dvd would not be measured correctly I don't see how it can be accurate at all. I'll take a hrm anyday over this. And if you have to log the stuff it doesn't work for manually, then really, what good is it unless all you do is walk?

It really depends on your fitness profile. I have both a Fitbit and a HRM, and the focus is really different for each.

For me, I get more use out of my Fitbit, since I am not quite as dedicated as I ought to be when it comes to maintaining a workout regimen. The Fitbit keeps me accountable all day, though, and has been invaluable in helping me figure out exactly how active I am and what my TDEE really is on a day-to-day basis (I've had days recently where it was basically my BMR, and days where it was more than double). It's really more of a daily activity level monitor.

The HRM is for monitoring your burn during a specific workout. You can use them in conjunction - as you point out, the Fitbit won't tell you jack about a biking workout, but if you have the numbers from your HRM you can plug that into your Fitbit as an additional exercise you did.

If you don't have the money for both, then it really comes down to "which is more useful for me" -- something that will tell you how active you are throughout the day, or something that will tell you what you did in a specific 30 (60, 90) minute timeframe. For me, it's definitely the former. For you, it sounds like the latter.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    What is the reason for the doctor putting you on 500 calories per day? (plus exercise calories)

To answer your question:
    I have the Flex and chose this one because it is waterproof.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your doctor is aiming for. Are you trying to gain weight? If you eat 500 calories more than you burn that's going to give you a pound a week of weight gain.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    Hi K.M.-

I recently joined MFP and got a Fitbit Force about a week ago. A work colleague had been using a Fitbit tracker and lost close to 30 lbs with it, but lost it when the clip broke. I went to my BestBuy and they weren't yet on display, but were recorded in the computer, so the salesperson was able to get one for me.

I'm very happy that I got the Fitbit Force because it does add the additional calories I can consume due to exercise (which is the feature you're very interested in). I only wish I had gotten on the MFP and Fitbit bandwagon sooner!

Setup was easy and walks you through it. I am using both the MFP app and the FitBit app on my phone and tablet. Bluetooth is kept on, so that the Fitbit Forces synchronizes with the app and keeps current the number of steps take, calories etc.

I did it via the MFP app by clicking on More | Connect My Fitness Pal | Get Started. I then selected Fitbit Tracker and clicked on the green "Connect" button. Once you connect the accounts, you do all your food logging in MFP, NOT in FitBit. You can check stats in Fitbit and set alarms - the Force has a vibrate alarm, which is a pleasant alternative to a clock radio.

I have the fitness rating set to 'sedentary." I haven't used any other fitness monitors before this, but I find I am much more aware of my daily exercise and walking levels. Since I live/work in an urban environment, I have no problem reaching the daily target. I agree with @FollowingSea's assessment of how accurate the calculations are

It took a bit of practice in getting it on and off. I also forgot to set the Fitbit to record when I go to sleep (press the Forge button 2x), but those are my only issues. Hope this info helps you!

The ease of set up was something I was concerned about too. Good info, thank you for replying!
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    agggh... don't take offence anyone, please... I do appreciate all the help, but I don't want to share med issues in wide open forum.

:-x
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    What is the reason for the doctor putting you on 500 calories per day? (plus exercise calories)

To answer your question:
    I have the Flex and chose this one because it is waterproof.

That's good to know. So no problem wearing 24 hours. Thank you.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at body media fit? Maybe you need to explore more options... I have one and it tracks my calories well...
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    Have you looked at body media fit? Maybe you need to explore more options... I have one and it tracks my calories well...

I haven't looked into that.
    I will now.
    Thank you.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    agggh... don't take offence anyone, please... I do appreciate all the help, but I don't want to share med issues in wide open forum.

:-x

Did that sound rude?
    Sorry about that.
    I'd rather tell people intimate details about my sex life than hash through my stupid medical problems.

:-o

Thanks for all your replies, they really helped!
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Lost my Fitbit AGAIN! I think someone may have thrown it out by accident. Well, the next time I'll get the bracelet, but that may be a long while.
  • K_M_Rodriguez
    Options
    I just ordered the new "FitForce" wrist band. I'll let you know how it works out for me... They won't deliver for another 4-6 weeks.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Good choice. I may order one in the future.