Creating the right MIND FRAME to lose weight

Options
Many of us have probably lost weight before... we've had successes and we've also had struggles. I'm currently in a struggle phase, finding it hard to get committed again since having a baby. One thing I've noticed from my past successes is how much this weight loss journey takes place in our minds, rather than being about only our bodies.

Consider these facts that are true about me:
1. I actually like working out. I enjoy how it makes me feel.
2. I know a LOT about food and nutrition. I have all of the knowledge needed to make healthy eating choices.
3. I have clearly-defined reasons, that I can easily list off, which are my motivation for wanting to get healthy.

So given those three facts, why am I not losing weight? In fact, why have I been GAINING weight the last few months? Well, as I dig into my mind through journaling, I discover these truths:

1. I often feel stress (due to work, marriage, money, kid, etc), and feel that food is a good way to comfort myself and reward myself. In my mind, eating junk food that I want is treating myself well because I'm giving myself what I want. (problem #1!)

2. I want to do a good job at work, especially since I'm in a new job, so I will do anything to put work first. I will get up early... I will stay late or work on my laptop after baby is in bed... even though this means I may not be using my free time to plan meals, exercise, pray/meditate/relax, or get enough sleep. (problem #2)

3. I think that tracking food is a loss of freedom or boring, and so I resist it because I feel I am being constrained. It is more fun to go wherever I want and eat/drink whatever I want.

These are just three of the beliefs that are keeping me from losing weight. I don't think them consciously, but subconsciously they are the reasons behind me eating multiple desserts in a day or not exercising for two weeks straight.

But I have been in the weight loss frame of mind before, and I believe I can get there again with positive reinforcement and focus. These are the types of thoughts I need to be thinking in order to successfully slim down by 25, 50 or 100 lbs (and not just for awhile, but for life):

- I LIKE getting up early to workout. I feel great when I do it. I look forward to it. My body doesn't at feel as good if I skip it.

- It’s critical that I get at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep each night. If I’m tired, I don’t have the power I need to make good health decisions.

- I love drinking water all day. It is my primary beverage. I don't feel like I'm missing out on high-sugar drinks because they make me feel crappy anyway.

- I LIKE eating mostly healthy with some treats in moderation. I prefer it. I can eat anything I want as long as it fits in my calorie budget for the day. I get a new budget everyday.

- I like feeling a little hungry sometimes. (Gasp!) It is the feeling of getting thinner, and not needing food to be my god. Water helps me get through those times, as do activities like walks.

- I don’t need to copy my husband's eating behaviors or anyone else’s. They can eat what I want - but I’m going to eat what’s best for me.

- I don’t need to eat out of social pressure. Many times I eat what others are eating so as to protect their feelings. They might feel hurt if I don’t eat what they have prepared, or they might feel judged if I don’t join them in splurging. They have to own their own feelings and choices - and I will own mine. That’s all I can do.

- There are limits to what I can accomplish at work. I can’t stay later or stress myself out because those decisions hurt my ability to make healthy choices. I will put in my 40 or so hours of work a week, doing the most effective work I can possibly do. But that’s it. Work no longer comes first - it is my health (mental, emotional, physical) that comes first.

- When I am healthy, everything else will fall into place. It may seem that I am neglecting other people or responsibilities when I prioritize meal planning, healthy eating, working out, sleep, etc. but in reality, the best thing I can do for every person and task is to be as healthy as possible.

- My focus has to be on healthy eating or exercise. These are the daily habits I can control. I can't control the exact number on the scale, but if I am faithful with my calorie tracking and exercising most days, the weight loss will follow.

- There is actually a very fine line, some days, between eating to lose, eating to maintain, and eating to gain. Planning enables me to be in the eating to lose category.

- This is going to take hard work. No one said it would be easy. But I deserve my best body and my best life possible.

What other beliefs are helping you in this journey? I'm really trying to focus in on this because I believe I have to get in the right mindset before I will ever succeed. I'm tired of gaining - I'm ready to begin my final losing journey!!!

Replies

• poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Well...... I think you hit it right on the head! Everything you have stated (except the work pressure) hits too close to home and are clearly my excuses also. So what are we going to do about it?

Your Pal,
    Poesch~
  • anthonyzuc
    Options
    Im not sure that the motivating reasons are strong enough...or we would be losing weight.
  • ForMyTomorrow
    ForMyTomorrow Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm learning that for me it's not about motivation or willpower, if I start a day with just willpower I'll likely fail. For me it comes down to habits. I think it is easy for me to bargain with myself and allow a bad food choice and then it's a domino effect from there, a day, a week, a month of bad choices and bargaining with myself. I know why I want to lose weight, I want to be a healthy weight, I worry about it. I am motivated so then why would I fail? Because every day it was easier to fail. Instant gratification and putting off dealing with what felt impossible another day.

I started recognizing those habits that I had formed. I had a regular routine that I followed weekly for years. It was like I was hanging on through the week to get to my free day and all the good days were cancelled out by the bad. Now I finally feel like I'm just living. I have days where I do better than others but I know everyday exactly how it will go (usually it's the unexpected things that get me). I have new habits that I actually enjoy that I replaced the bad habits with. I don't bargain with myself and I recognize when I am bargaining/making excuses. No day is special or free. Everyday is just trying to beat the thoughts. Being ahead of myself and having a plan, of that makes since. Anyways that's my current belief but I know we are all different and what works for some is not effective for others. Just how I've been living/thinking lately.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I LIKE getting up early to workout. I feel great when I do it. I look forward to it. My body doesn't at feel as good if I skip it.

- It’s critical that I get at least 7 or 8 hours of sleep each night. If I’m tired, I don’t have the power I need to make good health decisions.

- I love drinking water all day. It is my primary beverage. I don't feel like I'm missing out on high-sugar drinks because they make me feel crappy anyway.

- I LIKE eating mostly healthy with some treats in moderation. I prefer it. I can eat anything I want as long as it fits in my calorie budget for the day. I get a new budget everyday.

- I like feeling a little hungry sometimes. (Gasp!) It is the feeling of getting thinner, and not needing food to be my god. Water helps me get through those times, as do activities like walks.

I loved these comments from JennyKMO!!

I am the same way - I also like being a little hungry. This has motivated me for the day - Thanks
  • kjericks6401
    kjericks6401 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes! This was the kind of positive motivation I was looking for when I logged on this morning! Best wishes on your weight loss journey.