Running a marathon - convince me I'm not crazy? :)

Options
Hey yos - I'm running my first marathon this weekend! I'm SO excited, I've really enjoyed my long runs - but, I'm reading the Internet and fear stories too much, and I get nervous...

There's the talk about heart risks, and foot/leg/knee injuries. I haven't done the short runs and cross training like I should have (I know, I know), but I've LOVED the long runs, have gone up to 22 miles (21 run, 1 walk), I've run half marathons and triathlons, and I run/jog *really* slowly, I don't push myself, I just enjoy it (12 min mile, 11 at most with race adrenaline). And it would just be the biggest confidence boost to complete it.

I guess what I'm hoping for is... encouragement that I'm not asking to have a heart attack, as nuts as that may sound for whatever reason. I think I'm being overly anxious about it, and you can find fear stories about anything - but I don't want to be totally dumb, either. I don't feel like I'm taxing my cardiovascular system when I run at 11/12 min mile, it feels like the bottleneck is still my leg/feet muscle. I know the right place to ask this is at a doctor, but it's so expensive, I'm not going to go... so, MFP friend advice... can you either encourage me on like I'd like, or give me a VERY convincing reason I shouldn't complete this marathon?

Replies

• TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ur psyching ur self out...as one of my friends on here said to me...just do it :)
  • novachaos
    Options
    Go for it! I haven't done a full, but I've done a half and enjoyed every mile. Well, except that last mile! It's always the hardest!!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Well, chances are that no, you will not have a heart attack. Most marathon heart attacks are congenital defects that you wouldn't have known where there anyway. It would have hit sometime, whether it be shoveling snow, or running after a kid sometime down the line. There's pretty much no way to prepare for that sort of thing, so there's no point stressing yourself out over it.

Honestly, the difference between 20 miles and 26.2 is mental. Yes, those midweek runs would have helped tremendously (and skipping them is why your legs won't let you go faster). But if you can run 20 miles, you can run 26.

Knee/ankle injuries happen for a few reasons. The first is trying to go too fast without the proper training. Since you didn't do the shorter runs, just go slow to avoid this. After countless marathons and other distance races, I can honestly say that the only way I have injured myself is by being a complete dumb*ss about my pace and training. The second way these happen are freak things- stepping in a pothole or falling over a curb when you're being jostled in the beginning. Again, no way to prepare for that, just keep alert on the course.

So if you go slow, enjoy yourself, and make it about crossing the finish line, you shouldn't have any real problems (beyond the normal ones associated with running 26.2 miles). Don't go out too fast, adrenaline can mess you up in the beginning and make you pay at the end.

Also, next time, do the shorter midweek runs :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself, trust in your training and enjoy the run. Oh, and you'll probably cry when you finish. I admit that I did as I was going through the finish line of my first. It's a great accomplishment that .5% of the US has done (http://www.statisticbrain.com/marathon-running-statistics/).
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! :)

Thank you, vpetryshyn - this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out, I really appreciate your advice. :) I'll pace myself at a 12min mile, enjoy just completing one, and have plenty of improvement room for next time. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Thank you, vpetryshyn - this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping. Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that out, I really appreciate your advice. :) I'll pace myself at a 12min mile, enjoy just completing one, and have plenty of improvement room for next time. :)

You got this. You're just freaking out because its natural to freak out before your first marathon. This one, you freak because you have no idea what you're in for. The next, you'll freak because you know exactly how much its going to hurt :laugh:
  • heykatieben
    Options

You got this. You're just freaking out because its natural to freak out before your first marathon. This one, you freak because you have no idea what you're in for. The next, you'll freak because you know exactly how much its going to hurt :laugh:

:):) that I can handle :D
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You'll be just fine! You've trained. You can totally do this. It might not feel so great at moments but once you finish you'll forget the pain and just remember the glory!

You got this girl!
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    you will do great; Congratulations on all that training. You have the miles in the bank. And yes you will cry at the beginning and at the end. at least I did. I will tell you what someone told me i always remember after 13 marathons" Enjoy yourself and be proud. You have earned the right to run the marathon. Smile and look at the crowd. They are cheering for You"

and listen to what everyone else wrote; try not to go out too fast; you will be so excited in the beginning; pace yourself.
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. You are ready, go and enjoy it!! Congratulations on all the hard work you have done to get this far! That's quite an accomplishment! :flowerforyou:
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Ee, thank you ladies! :) Thanks for being my confidence, this really helps. I've declared a moratorium on Internet articles about running, haha. Thank goodness for our MFP community and encouragement to be the voice of you-can-do-it. Thank you!! :)
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed right before you fly, you start hearing about airplane crashes? Or right before you go on a cruise somehow every cruise line out there is having major problems?

You have trained, signed up for it, and probably have your outfit planned, song list planned (if going to use one) you know what you are going to eat.....in other words, YOU GOT THIS!!! Relax (as much as you can) and flow.

Oh, and yes, you ARE crazy...but that's what makes runners special! lol Like the quote goes: All runners are crazy...it takes a special kind of crazy to run a marathon!

Good luck this weekend!!
  • doodlecakes_07
    doodlecakes_07 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are crazy. But in the best way possible. GO FOR IT. I ran my first marathon this January, and it is definitely my most prized accomplishment. My longest run was only 20 miles, but I still finished and felt great afterwards. I even missed a 12 and a 16 mile run. Don't be scared, and do NOT doubt yourself. You've put in the training hours, so you're going to get the results.

The only thing that could possibly hold you back is your mind. Once you tell yourself that you can do it, you'll be able to finish, even if you don't think your body can make it. If you're worried about injury, don't. The human body is amazing, and with rest and care, it can recover.

Soooo, go run a marathon. There's no reason not to.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Thanks, @doodlecakes and @dreamer! :) Yeah, so true that you start to hear about crashes and bad things happening if that's what you're looking for - but so many times I've been nervous - I've been skydiving! - and nothing bad happened and it was an amazing memory. Thank you for reminding me of this. I'm excited. :):) And @doodlecakes, hearing that that's your most prized accomplishment.... oy, THAT is why I'm doing this! To feel like if I can run a marathon, I can do anything. :):)
  • heykatieben
    Options
    I finished!!! :):):) THANK YOU for all the encouragement!!! :):)

Though it was slow and I'd train more next time, I had a really great time and would definitely do again - thinking I may sign up tonight for a next one in March. Woohoo! And yay for being able to do 26.2!! :)
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    GREAT job runner!
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Thanks!! :)
  • brown46545
    brown46545 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    OP, bet you never thought you'd be able to say that you finished a marathon. Way to go!!
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a marathon in a long time. I did 7 or 8 before I gained weight. The best advice I can give is to just enjoy it and relax. Do what you can to take an easy pace for as long as you can. Enjoy your surroundings and the people you are running with even if you don't know them. Drink water often even if you are not thirsty. Just take it one mile at a time. You are just trying to finish, not qualify for the olympics. Most of it is mental I think. Best of luck!!:bigsmile: