I'm a beginner - Are my treadmill workouts enough???

Options
Hi there everyone,

I was just wondering if my treadmill workouts are enough to lose the 55lbs I need to lose?

I am on limited funds as I am a stay at home mom so a gym membership is out of question not to mention none of the gym's around my town offer childcare.

If anyone can offer any suggestions that would be great.
Also if anyone has any treadmill work outs that works for them I would love to give them a try.

Thanks

Replies

• Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love my tredmill workouts, especially if you set the incline at different heights through out your workouts.
    Also, if you break it up with a few one min sprints, to really get your heart rate going....
    Remember- Don't hang on. You'll get a better workout if you keep your hands free! :)

I've been doing that lately and I love it!
    Good Luck.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I love the treadmill as well. There are SOOO many different types of work outs you can try. Intervals, hills, etc. I would just google "treadmill work outs" and I am sure you will be able to find plenty. You may also want to try a work out dvd to mix things up. sometimes our bodies can get used to the same old routine and then we get stuck. Good Luck to you!!!! :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My only form of exercise is my treadmill, walking my dogs, and the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels (this DVD is only about $10 on amazon).
    Im quite dedicated to my food plan, so between that and exercising a few times per week I've been steadily losing each week. When you get down to the last bit you may need to increase your intensity . . . so crank up the incline or the speed to compensate.
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think treadmill is a great way to start out for beginners. That is exactly what I did starting out.... sure, doing more intense workouts with a trainer and targeting muscle groups and blah blah blah is probably the best thing, but how realistic is that, really? I think if you found something you can stick with on a regular basis, that is great!!! You're moving and getting your heart going, and that's what's important!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    PS I really liked using the "Hill" setting on the treadmill because even if you take it slow, it still is a great workout because of the varied inclines... and it really does a great job of strengthening your leg muscles so you can prep for doing more intense workouts like running!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Whatever you will do every day for the rest of your life is perfect. If you love the treadmill, do the treadmill because you will actually DO it.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • Charlie001
    Options
    I use an eliptical trainer. I was 210 april 1 of this year. 44 inch waist. By just doing 45 min in morning on epty stomuck and keeping caklories at 1400 for man, I am down to 160 and 33 inch waist. So, yes, you can do it. Just make sure you are putting enough effort into it that you are soaked in sweat.
  • ShellyBee
    ShellyBee Posts: 117
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appriciate your input and will def. try out everyones ideas.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I think the treadmill is a good start...however I would also add in a couple of days of weight training with light weights to start. You can do a video...I recommend Gilad Total Body Sculpt.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is quite good. Throw in some pushups and setups. Maybe purchase some small dumbbells. I worked out with a trainer about 4 years ago. She had me, a good sized man, working with about 10lb dumbbells and she was kicking my butt. So it doesn't take much. Further all the exercises we did you could do at home.
  • Pandemonium
    Options
    I just started my weight-loss journey on Sept 2, and all I have been doing is eating right, and using my treadmill for 30 mins of cardio everyday. Since then, I have lost 28 pounds.

This is coming from someone that has not been active or has never been taught the proper way to eat, so yes, a beginner can do it.

In fact, I was so out of shape with my cardio that I threw-up two days in a row. The third day I was fine.

You can do it, because I can do it. And trust me, it's hard for me to admit, but it's been more then 10 years since I have really been this active.

Good luck!
  • ShellyBee
    ShellyBee Posts: 117
    Options
    I have dumbells here and often use them while on the treadmill to make sure that I do not hold on...lol.

MFP is the best site around, where else could someone get all their questions answered within minutes by real people that are on the same journey.

So glad I came back to MFP and can't believe I let 2 years go by since I was last on....
  • Charlie001
    Options
    If you want a program that will burn the fat off if done right will be happy to send it. Only need dumbells and treadmill which you have.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone,

I was just wondering if my treadmill workouts are enough to lose the 55lbs I need to lose?

I am on limited funds as I am a stay at home mom so a gym membership is out of question not to mention none of the gym's around my town offer childcare.

If anyone can offer any suggestions that would be great.
    Also if anyone has any treadmill work outs that works for them I would love to give them a try.

Thanks

I have trained on my treadmill since starting this weightloss programme, it is my source of exercise and I have continually lost weight up to this day. So yes, it will be enough.