FitBit questions

Options
I have been wanting to get a FitBit (or something like it) for a while now and I decided it is time to get serious about losing weight and getting one will help me in that. I'm starting to do research on them to determine which one I should get. I don't want to buy one and then find out there is another one that would have been better for me.

Is FitBit the best one to get or is there another one that is better?

If you have one - do you like it? Do you wish you had gotten a different one?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're looking for it to do. Any of the Fitbits are really just fancy pedometers. They track your steps and make a calorie burn estimation based on that. Some will track your sleep patterns & number of stairs climbed if that interests you. It's fine if your exercise is going to be something like running or walking (something step based) otherwise it can't calculate it.

If you're looking for a device to measure your calorie burn while doing steady state cardio then you'd need a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. You can't wear it all day, it's only for dedicated cardio exercise.

I have both a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and a Fitbit Zip. I use the FT4 for running, cycling, that type of exercise but more to monitor my heart rate than to get calories burned. I wear the Fitbit Zip all the time just to see how much activity I'm getting in a day and I really don't care about stairs or sleep so that model is fine.

Could I live without them? For sure but if you have the money for toys it's fun to have them.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're looking for it to do. Any of the Fitbits are really just fancy pedometers. They track your steps and make a calorie burn estimation based on that. Some will track your sleep patterns & number of stairs climbed if that interests you. It's fine if your exercise is going to be something like running or walking (something step based) otherwise it can't calculate it.

If you're looking for a device to measure your calorie burn while doing steady state cardio then you'd need a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. You can't wear it all day, it's only for dedicated cardio exercise.

I have both a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor and a Fitbit Zip. I use the FT4 for running, cycling, that type of exercise but more to monitor my heart rate than to get calories burned. I wear the Fitbit Zip all the time just to see how much activity I'm getting in a day and I really don't care about stairs or sleep so that model is fine.

Could I live without them? For sure but if you have the money for toys it's fun to have them.

this. I have a zip as well, gives me an excuse to get off my lazy bum as move. "I need my 10k steps for the day..."
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My whole family is instrumented with FitBits.

We like competing, seeing who can stay in the lead on the 7 day leader board. Fun....and gets us all moving!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My whole family is instrumented with FitBits.

We like competing, seeing who can stay in the lead on the 7 day leader board. Fun....and gets us all moving!

Ditto here. If you have a competitive streak at all, the Fitbit is amaaaaaazing
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Do you want something that synchs to your phone, and if so, is it an iPhone or newer Android? Do you want wireless synching (to a computer)? Do you want to wear it on your wrist or would clipped to clothing work? Do you want an in-device display? There are LOTS of options out there. I like wearing a Fitbit and find it motivating but I agree it's basically a fancy pedometer.
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one and love it! ...some call it a fancy pedometer but it truly shows you so much information the more you wear it...I only take it off to shower. If you want something to track activities not involving walking or running, an HRM is a better bet, but a fitbit would be great for all the other times. There is a group on MFP that has tons of Q&A.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Well, ain't that a tricky question! I say tricky because I can argue both sides. I can see why people say it's just an expensive pedometer but at the same time it's the only device ever to encourage me to go out and walk. I have a pedometer app on my iPhone called pacer that is really accurate at counting steps. And free! So if I wanted to lose weight I could've just saved the money and used that to count my 10,000 steps a day.

Things is...the fitbit one is fun. It just is. It's cool to go out and get your steps and then open the app and see all the little tidbits of information about calories burned compare to calories eaten and how many floors you've climbed and yadda yadda. That and the fitbit aria scale make the process of losing weight more like a game that brings out a kind of competitive spirit.

I say if you're low on money, it's not a big deal. Download an app on your phone that counts steps and you're good to go. But if you have the money just burning a hole in your pocket, go out and get one! And get the fit bit one. Not the flex or the force. The wristband tracks are incredibly inaccurate and every menial task such as mopping a floor or typing can show up as steps. A fitbit one or a zip would be ideal
  • TahoeSki
    TahoeSki Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and love it! I've worn it everyday since April and it's really upped my movement. I got a few people at work to get one and we've started a "cult", at least that what others at work are calling it.
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have bought a Fitbit Flex and really disappointed, but I have friends who really love it...what I don't like is that I have to go to my computer every time I want to see what I burned it ...there is a new Fitbit (FORCE) just out where you get the reading of what you burn directly on the bracelet. Like some said its a fancy pedometer....would I buy one again NO
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Do you want something that synchs to your phone, and if so, is it an iPhone or newer Android? Do you want wireless synching (to a computer)? Do you want to wear it on your wrist or would clipped to clothing work? Do you want an in-device display? There are LOTS of options out there. I like wearing a Fitbit and find it motivating but I agree it's basically a fancy pedometer.

I have an iPhone, don't care if I have to connect it to the computer or if it does it wirelessly, I prefer it to be clipped to my clothing over a wristband and the in device display would be nice.
  • shoeloveramber
    shoeloveramber Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help! I think it sounds like the "One" would be the best one for me. I will watch for it to go on sale and then pick it up :)
  • pcon1212
    Options
    I love my FitBit. It does inspire me to move more, I like the instant feedback it gives me on how much I am moving and how much more I can eat. I like that it syncs with MFP. I have a desk job and don't move a lot but having the FitBit reminds me to move more. I have the One and I like that I can put it discreetly on my bra and forget about it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help! I think it sounds like the "One" would be the best one for me. I will watch for it to go on sale and then pick it up :)

Good choice. I've had that type of Fitbit for 4 years and keep looking for a replacement brand just for new bells & whistles but when I weigh all the options, the One always seems to be my best choice for now. I don't know if they go on sale much. It's still selling for the $99 I bought mine for four years ago, when I check.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit since most of my exercise is from daily activity versus going to a gym. I got the Zip thinking I didn't need the sleep tracking feature. I've since heard the One has some other things I wished I had, such as stairs. I've also heard the One has a button where you can start/stop other exercise for separate logging. If true, I'd prefer that to tapping my Zip to the time and writing it down.