Explain - Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred

Options
Okay, I'm considering doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. BUT... I'd like your opinions first. Tell me all about it..good, bad and ugly. I currently run in the afternoons with my 17 month old son (who doesn't let me do anything else). So, with that being said.... I'd have to do this in the mornings before work (4:30 AM). Yes, 4:30 AM. How long does it take to complete a workout? I have never been able to commit to p90x because of time. Any suggestions/comments?

OH... I totally plan on keeping up with my running... about 30 minutes (4 to 5 times a week).

Replies

• tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Lydia- I'm also a runner and I've had the DVD for about 6 weeks now and broke it out of the wrapper this morning. It only takes 20 minutes and wasn't too bad. I've been saying that I need to get back to the weights and this just confirmed it this morning. I think as runner's we have good cardio, are legs and core are pretty strong but I have a feeling my arms are going to hurt a bit tomorrow.
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    The workout is only 22 minutes long, it's hard work but you do see results! My arms especially seem much more slim and toned, and my upper body strength has improved. My only issue is that I started to get a bit bored towards the end, now I'm on the level 3 section I'm not doing it religiously every day like I did with the first 20 days.
  • llmitchell
    Options
    I love 30 day shred; it's hard but very effective. Only takes 20 minutes and has 3 levels so you really get your money's worth. She has chosen very good exercises and keeps the intensity up. It will be a 20 minutes worth getting up early. I used 5 lb. weights and it was a good workout. Short but not so sweet. :)
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The program is in three phases that you do for 10 days. First phase is easier and it gets harder.

I didnt like it. It was only 20 minutes...25 if you count the warmup and cool down. That was great as far as time, but I didnt see any real results. I know a lot of people say they lost inches and such, but that wasnt the case for me. Just my opinion.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hey there…so I am just about to finish the 30 day shred for the first time and I would definetly recommend it…its lasts almost 30 mins but that includes warm up and warm down and it squeezes what could be an hour or so in the gym to just 20 mins….its a great work out- all over body you don’t need a massive amount of room and its easy to fit into your day! Let me know if you need anymore advice/tips!!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I just started using 30DS - I'm on my second day. I like it so far, there are parts that are more and less challenging, depending on yoru own strengths and weaknesses. I didn't think it was quite as challenging as many people say, but I do some ST already. As a runner, I think the squats and lunges will help you develop more strength and the arms portion will help you balance out your workout. I don't know if there "inches and pounds" lost is true, but I'm hoping that by doing it every morning for 30 days straight it'll help keep my metabolism up for the day and give me a little extra boost on my off days from regular workouts.

Like other people said, it's about 20 minutes long and very fast paced.
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I'm interested too... Do you all do it 7 days a week? Or take a day or two off?
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm interested too... Do you all do it 7 days a week? Or take a day or two off?

I have been doing it with no day breaks... i think thats the way your supposed to do it ? it defintely is part of the challenge at first i thought..only 20 mins a day everyday- easy but it isnt!!! i have lost 5 pounds and definetly toned up alot i have had a few treat days too so it works u just gotta stick to it!
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I did it for 30 days straight. 10 days at level 1, 10 at level 2, and 10 at level 3.

Yes, it's hard, but you do see results. Level 3 is my favorite. Level 2 is my least favorite. I've contemplated skipping it all together when I do it again.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses. If I look at in phases, it's only 10 days. I just may be able to do 10 days. Hopefully, after the first 10days... I'll be ready for the second. Yes, like someone mentioned... I need to focus on some strength training too.

Thanks again -- Lydia
  • angiednn
    angiednn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started my whole fitness thing with Jillian's 30DS. I loved and hated it at the same time. It is a great cardio and strength video. It is definitely something I recommend. I don't do it often now because I like variety and so every once in a while when I don't have much time to exercise but want a good intense workout I will pop in Jillian and sweat like crazy. In my opinion level 2 is harder than level 3. So don't get stuck there. Enjoy. I've lost almost 70lbs this year and most of it has to do with Jillian Micheals workouts.
  • angiednn
    angiednn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did it five or six days a week.
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    There's a group of us that just started doing this for a month. Please feel welcome to join us and post here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/129070-30-day-shred-starting-10-24

:)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I think it is great when I only have 20 mintues to workout but I don't think it is long enough to burn the amount of calories I want. I also don't like doing the same workout all the time because my body doesn't respond. I mix it up every day. For HIIT, I really prefer the Biggest Loser Last Chance workout which has 6 kick your *kitten* circuits instead of just 3 and 2 optional strength training sections.
  • Beth720
    Options
    I think it is great when I only have 20 mintues to workout but I don't think it is long enough to burn the amount of calories I want. I also don't like doing the same workout all the time because my body doesn't respond. I mix it up every day. For HIIT, I really prefer the Biggest Loser Last Chance workout which has 6 kick your *kitten* circuits instead of just 3 and 2 optional strength training sections.

You can always do two or even all three levels in one workout. Nothing says you have to stop after one. And then you'd have your 6 circuits! :)

I definitely agree with those who have said they think Level 2 is the hardest. I seriously hate that Level.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Actually it takes 26 minutes, I have my HRM on which has a timer .

The music is horrible, some of the moves are old-school (which may cause injury b/c they have been shown to twist the joint in an unnatural way), overall its low production value and not fun (Jillian is such a miserable person!) but it does kick your butt, it’s a good weight-lifting workout.

If you want to have fun and tone up do Turbo Jam - 4 years now for me, love it! If you want something cheap but will probably get the job done (albeit only 150 calories are burned per 30-day shred session so I would recommend you use it to supplement your running) then go for it.
  • ginnyroxx
    ginnyroxx Posts: 763
    Options
    LMAO! "cheap"

::raises hand::
  • Beth720
    Options
    Actually it takes 26 minutes, I have my HRM on which has a timer .

The music is horrible, some of the moves are old-school (which may cause injury b/c they have been shown to twist the joint in an unnatural way), overall its low production value and not fun (Jillian is such a miserable person!) but it does kick your butt, it’s a good weight-lifting workout.

If you want to have fun and tone up do Turbo Jam - 4 years now for me, love it! If you want something cheap but will probably get the job done (albeit only 150 calories are burned per 30-day shred session so I would recommend you use it to supplement your running) then go for it.

I do a variety of things. I just don't buy into the whole Beach Body cult. Sorry.
  • jrsmithne
    jrsmithne Posts: 124
    Options
    I really liked 30 day shred, unlike a few others I liked level 2 the best! Seemed like lot of cardio in there, i don't know, I just know I liked it better than the other 2 levels. I do Insanity and Turbofire now, but every once in a while I will do 30 DS for a quick workout.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options