Got a recumbent bike - so worth it

Options
Set it up in front of my laptop and watched a movie, just like the gym but without all the gym rats. Burned 1010 cals in my living room. Get one.

Replies

• ladyofthelakeontario
    Options
    Nice! I've been looking into a recumbent myself. What kind did you get?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Nice! I've been looking into a recumbent myself. What kind did you get?

I would be interested in knowing as well. I have a very basic one that I got as part of rehabbing a knee issue (strongly encouraged to use one by my physical therapist). Didn't want to spend a lot of money if it was something I would only use for a short time. Turns out I really enjoy using it, but find myself wanting something a little fancier.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OH! I just got one myself, I love it! I need to put it in front of a tv or something though, I have it in my unheated sun room and it gets boring looking at the back yard. I got mine on sale for &599. at Sears.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have one as well, a Life Fitness one (same as in the gym)... gets the job done (I call it the "butt bike" because my glutes feel it during and after the workout). I do my reading on that bike, and save the tv for my rebounding/mini-trampoline.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have one and I really like it, but it is loud... a cheapie that I got at Walmart about 10 years ago. Still does the job though. I never thought to get my laptop out and watch movies with it, so thanks for the idea.
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I also watch tv, that's how I keep time lol. I use resistance bands too.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love mine also
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Mine is a cheapie also Exerpeutic 400xl for $140 shipped on Amazon. I like it cuz its compact and virtually silent - I think my laptopsfan is actually louder. But I read its best for people below 6'2"..... hmm reading sounds good also but yeah iI'm enjoying the convenience of the thing - just put in my room. Planning to incorporate quick morning cardio for fat loss!
  • gallowglasslass
    gallowglasslass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I bought an older version of the Schwinn model 230, and it is the best thing I have ever done for my fitness. Though I have only been overweight for a couple of years, I never was particularly "fit" before gaining the weight. Now I usually cycle 2 hours a day, and am in better shape than when I used to weigh 45 pounds less.

No reading possible, though... I go all-out most of the time (level 8-9, at a minimum 29 kph/18 mph), and sweat too much. Music or videos are the only way to get through it on days when energy is wanting.
  • tomthompson1
    tomthompson1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump to gain more info, thanks for posting!
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    We got a recumbent a few years ago, it is easier on the back, having something to press against. It was still hard for me when I started, but now I do 10 or 12 miles easy (I keep it at level 6, 16mph, but it does feel pretty leisurely). I read or watch a show on the Ipad.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I bought a hybrid trainee and unfortunately it had a manufacturers defect and um waiting for the parts so they the an come repair or. I got to use it for a short while and loved it. Cat wait to burn some more adipose!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yep, love my recumbent bike. Be careful of MFP's burn estimates for stationary cycling though. It gives me fully triple what my Bodymedia Fit says I'm burning.
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Options
    What are your cals burned like? Howlong/burn?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    What are your cals burned like? Howlong/burn?
    Everyone's going to be different. I weigh 177 and I use my recumbent cycle daily, someone heavier and not used to it, will burn more. Just like someone lighter and fitter will burn less. In an hour I'll burn about 360 calories total, moderately pedalling while watching TV. However I would burn 100 calories doing nothing that hour, so 260 really.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    My caloric burn based on a heart rate monitor that lets me enter weight and height is around 960-1010 so far after two 1.5 hour workouts at level 4. Im a noob to cycling so 4 gets my heart rate up to a steady 160!
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Mine is a cheapie also Exerpeutic 400xl for $140 shipped on Amazon. I like it cuz its compact and virtually silent - I think my laptopsfan is actually louder. But I read its best for people below 6'2"..... hmm reading sounds good also but yeah iI'm enjoying the convenience of the thing - just put in my room. Planning to incorporate quick morning cardio for fat loss!
    That's the one I was looking at - is it really big when folded up? My apt is really getting a bit cramped, but for a good one, I'd get one.
  • netbob
    netbob Posts: 2
    Options
    Just got a schwinn 230 myself and liking it a lot. Still learning how to use it. I am working on a touchscreen app using a raspberry pi 2 that sends data to my fitness pal and tells me how close I am to a 10,000 step workout.