Eggs and cholesterol. Weird blood results.

Options

Replies

• JosieB2014
    Options
    Like others have said, genetics plays a HUGE role. I have known many people who are extremely healthy, exercise constantly and eat right and their "bad" cholesterol won't budge without meds. I highly doubt it's the eggs.

thanks :) i'll see what my derm says Friday, fingers crossed I can continue my medication !
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention I'm on roaccutane and that is known to raise cholesterol and that's why I get the monthly checks! My bad

I didn't get a test pre-meds because the doctor said I was healthy enough (silly, I know)

Also, I don't consume butter and my parents both have excellent cholesterol levels. Also, I Only have half tsp coconut oil when cooking and I only eat things that naturally occur, no processed foods.

Hmmmmm.

The roaccutane is a significant factor no doubt!

I assume you were fasted for 12+ hours at the time the blood was drawn?

I was definitely fasted.

What did your doctor have to say about the results? Do you have any results from before you were on the roaccutane? How long do you plan to be on it?
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    For the Americans who are used to total cholesterol numbers with 3 digits, I'm assuming the OP is reporting her results in mmol/L. 7 mmol/L is 270 mg/dL which is pretty high.

thanks for the conversion jonnythan :]

I'm going to get my results sent to me so i can be sure.
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    I forgot to mention I'm on roaccutane and that is known to raise cholesterol and that's why I get the monthly checks! My bad

I didn't get a test pre-meds because the doctor said I was healthy enough (silly, I know)

Also, I don't consume butter and my parents both have excellent cholesterol levels. Also, I Only have half tsp coconut oil when cooking and I only eat things that naturally occur, no processed foods.

Hmmmmm.

The roaccutane is a significant factor no doubt!

I assume you were fasted for 12+ hours at the time the blood was drawn?

I was definitely fasted.

What did your doctor have to say about the results? Do you have any results from before you were on the roaccutane? How long do you plan to be on it?

my doctor just asked if i ate butter, whether i exercised, checked my weight and I told him that i exercised 6 times a week, ate meticulously clean and that i eat a lot of eggs lol. he wasnt much help.

to which he replied, "maybe dont eat as many eggs"

lol
  • jonnythan
    Options
    my doctor just asked if i ate butter, whether i exercised, checked my weight and I told him that i exercised 6 times a week, ate meticulously clean and that i eat a lot of eggs lol. he wasnt much help.

lol

Hah! Was this an internist/general practitioner or a dermatologist or what?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have higher cholesterol due to genetics. It was actually way too high until I found out I was hypothyroid and started taking medication. That ended up fixing it.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... that seems really out of whack and I would tend to agree the meds are what is causing the issue. But since you weren't tested beforehand, there is no true way to tell. But I'm darn certain that it isn't your diet. More and more studies are coming out showing that eating meat (lean, natural grass fed beef, eggs, etc.) have no negative bearing on cholesterol. But, many studies are also showing that by increasing certain foods high in the good stuff you can reverse the bad. Avocado's are one of them with all those good fats and if you think about it, it makes sense to eat the good fats because our bodies were made to eat the good stuff. LOL Not the stuff made in a factory like... ewww... margarine. HA. In all seriousness, I wonder if you upped the content of the good fats in your diet with avocado, coconut oil and the like if it would have any chance of fighting back against the meds? The only way you will know is if you try it. But personally, I wouldn't stay on ANY med that jacked my cholesterol up. But again, because you aren't sure if it was high before the meds, you just won' t know until you do the whole guinea pig thing with yourself and your doc. Either way, good luck. And if you do decide to 'test it out' over the next few months, you should update. :smile:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What you are eating (dietary cholesterol) probably has very little to do with your serum cholesterol.

Have you thought about fiber? One thing that it does is take some of the bile with it on its way out of you. Your body then needs to use some cholesterol to produce more bile, therefore lowering cholesterol.

*Edited for clarity
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Does the fact that I've recently started taking carnitine make a difference?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Why are you taking carnitine?
  • JosieB2014
    Options

lol

Hah! Was this an internist/general practitioner or a dermatologist or what?

GP. I'm seeing my derm who is one of the best in Aus (Bryan Pang) on Friday, and I'm sure he has had plenty of experience with similar readings to mine and will probably have an explanation --I hope!!
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Why are you taking carnitine?

To cut fat. I intend to enter comp in the next few months. :]
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    What you are eating (dietary cholesterol) probably has very little to do with your serum cholesterol.

Have you thought about fiber? One thing that it does is take some of the bile with it on its way out of you. Your body then needs to use some cholesterol to produce more bile, therefore lowering cholesterol.

*Edited for clarity

I'm getting plenty of fiber in my day :]
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    I have higher cholesterol due to genetics. It was actually way too high until I found out I was hypothyroid and started taking medication. That ended up fixing it.

Oh really? was it symptomatic? Hypothyroidism runs along all the women in my dads side of the family.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    the ldl was high
    hdl low

im 64kg
    173.5cm tall
    21 bmi

so everything is great.

I think one of the main factors may be the roaccutane but im unsure.

I am 5'2" 118lbs, same bmi, total cholesterol 271, LDL 180, HDL 79, Triglicerides 62. Because of latter two, ratios are fine. 2 years ago my total was lower 211, but triglycerides were 128, HDL was 59 and LDL was 126.

I also read that the body fighting off infections plays a role in cholesterol production. I'm supposed to be checked again in a couple months. We'll see if it improves, but I've always had it high in general. Glad triglycerides were halved. Cholesterol is pretty amazing. It does awesome things in the body; not just bad.

Eta: I'm choosing not to medicate for it as long as ratios are good.
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Hdl 2.5 mmol/L
    LDL 3.7mmol/L
    Triglyceride 1.7mmol/L
    Cholesterol /hdl-c 2.8 mmol/L
    Vldl - 0.8 mmol/L
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hdl 2.5 mmol/L
    LDL 3.7mmol/L
    Triglyceride 1.7mmol/L
    Vldl - 0.8 mmol/L
    really...
    your doctor is worried about you having a 143 LDL and a 96 HDL

that is a very good ratio to have.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Get your Dr. to set you up for a CT scan and check for calcification if your worried.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Hdl 2.5 mmol/L
    LDL 3.7mmol/L
    Triglyceride 1.7mmol/L
    Vldl - 0.8 mmol/L
    really...

Those numbers are outstanding. WTF is wrong with your doctor?
  • JosieB2014
    Options
    Hdl 2.5 mmol/L
    LDL 3.7mmol/L
    Triglyceride 1.7mmol/L
    Vldl - 0.8 mmol/L
    really...

Those numbers are outstanding. WTF is wrong with your doctor?

I don't even know. He was worrying me, tbh he's the worst gp I've ever been to. He didn't even explain how the results work and what's normal so I was freaking out. I don't know how it all converts haha :tongue: