Does the elliptical really burn a lot of calories?

Options
When I do the elliptical for 30 minutes mfp says I burn like 700 calories. Is this true ? I am 5'7 and weigh 326lbs

Replies

• c_ansari
    c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I burned 286 in 17 minutes yesterday and 342 in 22 minutes tonight on the elliptical. Those readings are from my Polar FT7 heart rate monitor. I'm a 6'2.5" 290lb male.

I would say MFP is estimating a bit high, but it doesn't factor in the difficulty level that the machine is set to either.
  • danielleb886
    danielleb886 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Normally with no resistance in one hour I burn 580 per the elliptical and 545 per my hear rate monitor. I am 5'7" 130lbs. I lost 40lbs over the past year and I used the elliptical and weight lifting. If you stick to it, you will see results!
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think the estimate is a bit high, but I try to not eat back all the calories I "earn" from the eliptical.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When I do the elliptical for 30 minutes mfp says I burn like 700 calories. Is this true ? I am 5'7 and weigh 326lbs

Well that depends. Are you an elite athlete?
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    that is totally wrong. its hard to say how much you really burn unless you have a HRM. get one. they're amazing. my elliptical was overestimating my calories by 30. And with resistance and 30 minutes I'll burnt 280
  • abettershay_
    Options
    No
  • abettershay_
    Options
    that is totally wrong. its hard to say how much you really burn unless you have a HRM. get one. they're amazing. my elliptical was overestimating my calories by 30. And with resistance and 30 minutes I'll burnt 280

Are they really expensive ?