30 DAY SQUAT CHALLENGES DO NOT WORK!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Disagree. I did a 30 day squat challenge (WITH rest days built in), and I dropped a pants size. I'm going to do it again here soon.
    The pant size wasn't due to the squats. It was due to calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Disagree. I did a 30 day squat challenge (WITH rest days built in), and I dropped a pants size. I'm going to do it again here soon.
    The pant size wasn't due to the squats. It was due to calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This.

I see the 30 day challenges to be wonderful for people new to exercise and also people looking to increase their muscular endurance.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    If you progress gradually and appropriately, doing a ton of body weight squats is not going to have any higher risk than running or cycling or any other activity that you repeat hundreds of times during a workout.

If one is only doing body weight squats, by the time you get to those numbers, you are essentially doing cardio anyway, so, no, strength training "rules" do not apply.

I'm not a big fan of these types of "challenges" and I don't think they are that effective but, from the standpoint of injury, they are no more risky than anything else.

this was my thinking exactly, but, people who are out of shape may get injured by trying to progress too fast. i could probably do 1000 in a day
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    in because this is interesting.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I challenge everyone to stop complaining about the exercise programs of other people for 30 days.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day squat challenge and did not enjoy it at all. i just found it boring as i did the same type of squat. BUT i wanted to finish it just to say i could finish something.
    I find this later on which i have done a few times as it varies the types of squats and is over before u know it.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/The-Most-Effective-Squat-Challenge-100-Rep-Fitness-Blender-Squat-Challenge/fp/

I wont be doing any of those types of challenges again. I hated the ab one too. Now i am doing the 90 day warrior challenge on HASFIT.com. Different exercise each day to work all parts of the body and its challenging me still.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I challenge everyone to stop complaining about the exercise programs of other people for 30 days.

This
    /thread
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    fair enough. but we're complaining about why the challenge is terrible. Noone is complaining about an exercise program in here.
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day squat challenge and did not enjoy it at all. i just found it boring as i did the same type of squat. BUT i wanted to finish it just to say i could finish something.
    I find this later on which i have done a few times as it varies the types of squats and is over before u know it.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/The-Most-Effective-Squat-Challenge-100-Rep-Fitness-Blender-Squat-Challenge/fp/

I wont be doing any of those types of challenges again. I hated the ab one too. Now i am doing the 90 day warrior challenge on HASFIT.com. Different exercise each day to work all parts of the body and its challenging me still.

Thanks for the scoop on hasfit.com - I hadn't heard of that before.
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I apologise. I wasn't aware we're not supposed to discuss the pros and cons of various exercises on this fitness and exercise forum. My bad.
  • Jacqson84
    Jacqson84 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
    The 30 day squat challenge does allow for rest days and the actual challenge allows for about 5 days of rest per month. You can also split them up which would reduce the likelihood of bad form. It's a great thing to add to a current workout and it's no different than following a video workout regimen as it is just repetitive moves.
    There isn't a need to do up to 290 squats in a day (unless one is trying to just build muscle endurance in the leg). Better off doing a good leg resistance program with multiple exercises and rep ranges between 6-20 for 3-4 sets.
    As mentioned using time to do 290 squats in a day could be more efficient if applied to other body parts.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sophfudge
    Options
    I think that it does work, I am doing the 30 day "guns, buns and abs challenge", everyone Ive spoken to about it says it does not work. I don't think im going to have the *kitten* of KK, but for me its doing what I want by toning. Don't get me wrong it's a hard work out, but I have been horse riding for 10 years and 100 squats does not phase me or hurt at all. If you do it carefully and make sure you have a good diet then it is going to work. Just don't think that its going to work miracles.
  • kistockman
    kistockman Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've done the squat challenge and the plank challenge as well as another one. These are all added to my existing 6-days/week exercise routine. I found that each of them provided a focus that did in fact enhance my workout and diet. It's added push for me.

I'm currently on a maintenance plan so not trying to lose weight. It's really easy to find myself doing teh same thing over and over again. And while it works (I'm not gaining weight and I am getting stronger), these challenges provide just a bit more to rev things up elsewhere.

This month I decided to do another plank challenge and I can immediately feel my other workouts aerobic and weights are just much better....much more focused so more effective. In fact, deciding to do the plank challenge again just got me back on my yoga mat that I put away a couple of weeks ago for no reason except time.

Again, the challenges work for me as a way to enhance my workout. So I return to them every few months just for the challenge.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with these 30 day squat challenges?Do they even work? If so, what happens on day 31, 32, 33...?! And surely, 290 squats a day can only lead to injury!

I was always under the impression that fitness is a lifestyle, not something you do over a course of a few days and expect to see results. Please don't fall for these passing fads. Devise an effective workout plan that targets all your muscle groups, learn the right form and eat right. It's a lifestyle, people!;)

I'm going to go with the method I normally go with on this site as far as taking advice, and it has worked pretty well so far. You have the *kitten* I am trying to get, so I figure you probably know what you're talking about regarding this subject! :smile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

NXKo7Oy.gif

:laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've always thought of them as to be basically a pointless waste of time. It's good to challenge yourself and set goals, but you can do so without wasting your valuable time. Unweighted squats are basically just a nice calisthenic warm-up exercise anyway...you're not going to really do a whole lot except warm your muscles up.

Someone who is not used to doing squats at all - like I was - can benefit from body weight squats and get the form down before adding weight. Especially if you do them prison-style with your hands behind your head. My balance was terrible when I started, but it helped me learn, and now I am comfortable adding the oly bar because I know my form is solid. ATG squats are no joke, especially if you are significantly overweight.
    Not that great an idea, as body weight squats and barbell squats have completely different form.
  • Tarawitch2eyes
    Tarawitch2eyes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ...and has anyone else had good/OK results since?
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with these 30 day squat challenges?Do they even work? If so, what happens on day 31, 32, 33...?! And surely, 290 squats a day can only lead to injury!

I was always under the impression that fitness is a lifestyle, not something you do over a course of a few days and expect to see results. Please don't fall for these passing fads. Devise an effective workout plan that targets all your muscle groups, learn the right form and eat right. It's a lifestyle, people!;)

These challenges are a great way for some people to kick start their new fitness lifestyle. Sometimes you need something different to keep you motivated. Whats the problem with that? I did this a year ago, and while I dont do 250 a day, I still do a quick 100 squats after my 3 miles run. No injuries here......
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options

Who gets injured doing body weigh squats? I need proves.

By the way it build a little and work as cardio.